Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Definition of a Cottage Garden

Redthistle
15 years ago

Before I even had any idea of what a cottage garden was, I always knew I liked the slightly wild look of a garden that I would describe as rambling and without a lot of pretense/rules. While plants in neat rows were pretty, I was never drawn to them as much as to a carefree garden with surprise plantings that did as it pleased or at least appeared to.

I've been working to create a cottage garden since 2001, but back then, I didn't know that was what I wanted. In 2003, I finally realized what my garden wanted to be or rather what I wanted it to be. :-)

So, I just looked up the definition of a cottage garden in the FAQs for this site, and I pretty much agree with it.

In 2003, I attended a Cottage Garden conference. Recently, while scouring the web for anything related to "Texas Cottage Gardens" I came across this article, which was from that conference:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/southerngarden/Cottagedesign.html

The article gives me pause, and I wanted to know your thoughts on it. Specifically, the article's author hints/impies that a REAL cottage garden should have a humble cottage to go with it, otherwise it's just a cottage garden-wannabe. I'm not sure I agree with this.

I think most suburban homes don't look anything like humble cottages with their garage in the front. Similarly, a stately Victorian isn't exactly humble either. Is a ranch-style home humble? Do we absolutely have to live in a cottage to have a cottage garden? I think this is a bit anal, but wanted your reaction.

My personal feeling is that a cottage garden doesn't have to have a specific kind of house or even a house at all to be a cottage garden. I disagree with the author. Further, I think the definition of a cottage garden can be as different as the kind of bathing suit one wears.--Bikini, one piece, two piece, etc. Surely, the gardens are different in the plant materials used simply because we live in different climates.

In addition, the author states that one of the reasons cottage gardens have gone out of popularity is that. "Skilled garden labor is expensive and hard to find." Do most of you hire someone to do your gardening?? I don't.

I think informality is the name of the game in a cottage garden...What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Designing the Country Cottage Garden

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you can have an English style garden outside Great Britain, then you can have a Cottage style garden without a cottage.

Back in June I think it was, Annette summed it up in a single sentence:
    "A cottage garden is a garden where every spare inch is planted with something," and we agreed.

Nell

• DYH
    15 years ago

What Annette said! :-)

Cameron

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

This is actually a subject I have been giveing some thought too. I read an online article that said esentially what you mentioned RedThistle.
    Historically a cottage garden was owned by rather poor people who lived in humble cottages. They utilized every space of their yard and grew flowers and edibles, for their own table, together. The plants they had were gotten by seed or starts from other cottagers.

I also think that the types of plants you use contribute to the overall effect. I always think that a garden filled with species plants or those really old cultivars look more accurate than my garden, which is filled with hysterically bright flowers and verigated plants.

I personally think the title 'Cottage Garden' is overused. I seems every garden magazine is just pushing the 'Cottage Garden' look onto everything and misapplying it.

I love the Cottage Garden look, but I don't think my garden will ever look like a 'true' one. I mean it does have certain CG elements about it, such as rambling and overgrow plants, an easygoing style, all kinds of plants put much to close together, etc. But having a few of those elements doesn't automatically make it a Cottage Garden either.

I have given this a lot of thought, and ive decided not to label my garden as a 'Cottage Garden'. I am calling it what it is, a Mixed Perennial Garden. I am ok with not having a true Cottage Garden. My garden is what it is and I enjoy it for that. ;-)
    Happy Gardening!
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Chris I don't think there is such a thing as the true cottage garden because every garden is going to be somewhat different.

To me cottage gardens are just informal gardens, or if on acreage informal beds. Stuffed full of plants we enjoy whether they be perennials, annuals, herbs, small fruits, fruit trees, ornamentals and let's not forget a few weeds :o). Mix and match, your choice.

IMHO cottage style gardens have a charm no formal garden however beautiful will ever have. You don't have to have a cottage to have this kind of garden, just a patch of earth to plant what ever you want, the way you want, no rules. The kind of plants depends on what you can grow in your area.

It really annoys me when someone says a cottage garden has to look a certain way, coming from a long line of gardeners of English decent who have always gardened in what I call the "Cottage Garden Style", each of their gardens were different but yet the same in so many ways.

Some on this forum who have an eye for design turn out magnificent vistas, others have color coordinated beds to die for, others are working with raised beds and who's to say this isn't Cottage. Some only have very small spaces to garden in and are creating charming little pockets of informal beauty, I could go on and on but I won't.

I think of mine as a "Cottage Garden" but most who see it would say "What was she thinking" LOL, do I care? NO. Mine is eclectic to say the least :o) but, it's cottage to me and I love it weeds and all.

I also have to add the type of people that like this style of gardening are some of the most friendly, generous and caring people one could ever hope to meet. I think that is why so many are drawn to this forum in particular.

Annette who is now off her soapbox one more time :o)

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

You probably wouldn't call mine a cottage garden, and I would agree. I really don't have what you'd call a perennial garden either, even tho I plant them. I try to fit in here because I enjoy the reading and the sharing of ideas on this forum. Plus, I love cottage gardens like christinmk describes; and if I ever get my Orchard Cottage down in the orchard (next to the veggie garden).........

• kristin_flower
    15 years ago

I think character and charm are what defines a cottage garden, not necessarily the size/type of home that it belongs to.

I've been reading a library book "English Cottage Gardening for American Gardeners" by Margaret Hensel. The homes featured are mostly cottages, but there are also some large estates. What I really love though are the humble little cottages with the most adorable, whimsical, artistic gardens. It makes me feel better about my little cottage.

• carrie630
    15 years ago

Back in Feb of 2005, someone had started a thread called:

It isn't a cottage garden without..... and a lot of the posters here put in what they thought a cottage garden needed e.g. bench, roses, etc. etc.

I have the whole thread in my documents on my computer, but I don't know how to make the link so that everyone can read it.

If I copy and paste it, it is way too long because it includes a LOT of posts under the said thread...

Maybe someone here can remember what I am talking about and possibly turned the information into a usable link to post here.

?? Anyone?

Carrie

15 years ago

I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone's garden wasn't a Cottage Garden. I just meant that I don't think mine is quite Cottage-y enough to be called one.
    When I first started my garden I really didn't have any plan for it. I just planted and cut grass. If I had set down to make a CG and followed strictly to a plan it might have turned out better.

Have any of you looked at the magazine called English Gardens? I LOVE that mag and think that some of the gardens featured are the epitome of Cottage Gardens. This mag features both country cottage style gardens and also the more formal ones found at old manors and castles. It is SO NEAT, but its nearly $50 for a years subscription. Ouch. I just look thru them at the bookstore ;-)

There is of course, some diffrence between English Cottage Gardens and the Cottage Gardens of North America. There is such diversity in climate in NA. I think this forum shows that well. We all have certain challenges in our particular zone. I would love to be able to grow more tender perennials (oh how I want a Cape Fuschia!). But I have to work with my surroundings and use plants that are hardy.

What drew me to and keeps me at this forum is how nice and easy-going everyone is. One can have a Cottage-Garden spirit without necissarily having a Cottage Garden of their own. ;-)
    CMK

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I just went to the English Garden magazine site - I have to have a subscription. This will be an early Christmas gift to myself! CMK, according to the site, right now it's $32.75 I think for six issues.

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree with what Annette said, too. I haven't gotten there quite yet ("every square inch planted"), but I'm working on it. :-)

I think perhaps the cottage garden should be redefined into two terms: the historical cottage garden and the modern cottage garden. I think of it this way, if the cottage gardener of yester-year lived today, he would garden as we do here. He would have a home like we have. He might garden behind a small tract home or he might even have a trailer home. He might live in a ranch home. He/she might be in a McMansion. The home, in my opinion, does not define the garden as this article implies.

Thus, a modern cottage garden might exist behind any home today.--It simply exists NOW. It's partially the cottage gardener and their mind-set that defines the garden as well as its style. The historical cottage garden, on the other hand, would exist when cottage gardens first came into vogue and if that meant it had to exist behind or in front of a cottage, then that's fine too.

Schoolhouse, I think your garden is in the becoming-a- cottage-garden stage. I know mine is. It's just as you want to see it.

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

I want to know how Cameron knew what Annette was going to say before she said it? LOL!!!

I define my Cottage Garden as anything goes. Some raised beds, some not, some borders, some islands.....And combination of colours and plants...from shrubs to annuals and perrenials. Some planned some not. Some colour schemes some not. Add a few mice, bears, deer and moose, that sums up my Cottage Garden.

Sierra

15 years ago

LOL I just reread my post, What I should have said I don't think it's cut in stone as to what a cottage garden has to have growing in it, but it's the style in which it's planted that defines cottage garden to me, mine is still evolving.

"Cottage Garden Spirit" I think we all have this :o) and Chris when I said I got annoyed when someone said cottage gardens had to look a certain way I was referring to some magazine articles I have read over the years on cottage gardens that should have been scrapped not printed, not from your views on the subject I quite agree with you. A

Annette

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

Interesting how this is a recurring theme. I'm one of those who garden in the cottage spirit, rather than the cottage form, and who cares? LOL I love my minute garden, where I grow whatever strikes my fancy and does well in my garden. I have way too many shrubs to qualify it as a "true" English cottage garden but hey, I live in sunny dry Portugal and growing an English garden here is pointless - not to mention doomed to failure.

Carrie, I do remember the thread you're referring to - it's now a Cottage Garden classic :-) - and I have also saved it as a Word document. I think the beauty of it is that it's so long and diverse and has all the info on the people that contributed to this forum over the years, some of them sadly no longer participate. So, I'm goint to try and paste it all in a new reply to this thread so that newcomers can enjoy and oldtimers remember.

Eduarda

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

It's not a cottage garden without_...._______________

Posted by Ann_Michigan z4-5 n.w.lower (My Page) on Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 20:35

It's not a cottage garden without________________

I've been working on my garden and would like to know what others look for in a cottage garden;-))))

Thanks for respounding to this,
    Ann

Follow-Up Postings:
    o RE: It's not a cottage garden without________________

* Posted by: ladykemma katy, texas (My Page) on Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 20:50

a bench
    marigolds
    nasturtiums
    a sleeping cat

* Posted by: hag49 Tx z8a (My Page) on Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 21:00

I have none of the above but I have a cottage garden. I wouldn't be without hollyhocks,roses,delphiniums,cleome,pinks,stock,and anything fragrant.
    Hilary

* Posted by: ladykemma katy, texas (My Page) on Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 21:04

"how do you grow hollyhocks, and delphiniums in texas?".... I said jealously.... zone 9b

sorry for the thread hijack.

* Posted by: GrassIsEvil z6 TN (My Page) on Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 21:37

without a plant a friend gave you
    without a plant that supplies cuttings or seeds you give to your dearest friends
    without a plant that WILL NOT GROW, no matter what you do
    without a plant that grows, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO
    without a rock that's there just because it's a rock

Ray

* Posted by: girlgroupgirl 8 Atlanta (My Page) on Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 22:06

A mix of annuals, perennials, different heights, some climbing plants, a little nibble here and there to eat, a friendly place for creatures, a path to stroll and a personal touch!

GGG

* Posted by: Eliza_ann_ca zone 6 ont ca (My Page) on Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 22:52

Hollyhocks,and foxgloves.
    They were always in my grandmothers garden and will always be in mine.

Eliza ann

* Posted by: KMS4Me z3/4 MN (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 1:34

Foxgloves, delphiniums, sweet william, and hollyhocks.

* Posted by: Blooming_annie z 8/9, Chas, SC (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 6:05

- A creative, overflowing mix of whatever plants flourish in your area!

- More annuals and perennials than evergreen shrubs and trees.

- A few unruly plants who insists on leaning on their neighbors, or climbing through them, or flopping over the edging.

* Posted by: Eduarda Z10 - Portugal (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 7:26

Roses, lavender, the holly and the ivy.

Weeds and seeds Mother Nature plants herself and are allowed to stay

Berries, flowering trees, leaves ablaze in Fall

Daffodils, lillies and pansies

Scent flowing in the air

Birdbaths, feeders and birdhouses

A bench to rest

An arch

A welcoming porch

Pass along plants

Bees, birds and pets

No strict rules, meandering paths, flagstones

A personal touch

* Posted by: Ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 8:28

A low fence, or wall, or hedge that gives a sense of enclosure but lets people look in--and out. That sense of enclosure is one of the fundamental keys to a cottage garden. A picket fence is the traditional choice but there are lots of other choices.

* Posted by: FlowerLady6 z10 Fl (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 8:31

It's not a cottage garden without love, whimsy and happiness.

Must have some seating, shade, a bird bath or two, annuals, perennials, herbs, roses, vines, whatever else that will do well in our hot and steamy part of the country. Love plants that will self-sow. Fragrant plants are a must.

Loved reading everyone's responses. Great thread.

FlowerLady

* Posted by: patchoulijulie z8B San Antonio (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 9:16

a looser sense of control.

i like 'letting order go' in my garden and that always open the door for more fun.

dawn

* Posted by: Archduke z8a MetroDallas (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 10:49

'Victoria' salvia farinacea (mealy cup sage)
    trailing rosemary 'Lockwood de Forest'
    English lavender 'Munstead'
    a polyantha rose, such as 'Marie Daly'
    an antique tea rose, such as 'Gilbert Nabonnand'
    'Spring Bouquet' viburnum
    daffodils
    native coral honeysuckle (Lonicera Sempervirens) growing against a fence
    bird bath
    bench
    Heuchera/Coral Bells
    peony

* Posted by: Too_Many_Pets LI Z7 (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 12:02

Lychnis Coronaria 'Rose Campion',
    Lotsa vines like Hyacinth bean and Scarlet Runner bean,
    Lotsa things that got way bigger than I expected, such as Echinacea,
    and...my pond :-)

* Posted by: jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 20:18

I love this thread.....

Everything I love that is in my garden or that I want to add to my garden is listed here and it was like a stoll in a summer garden to read my way to the bottom of the thread.

Some of my favorites;

Birds and everything that attracts them, including birdbaths, feeders, houses, shelter....
    My hostas (although not really cottagy they belong in mine)
    Hollyhocks, mentioned often above
    Bleeding Heart
    Spring bulbs of all kinds
    The flowers my grandma grew... peonies, iris, fern, tulips, columbine, and many others of the good old-fashioned variety...
    A shady spot and a bench to sit on
    Meandering paths
    An arbor or trellis (or multiples) and climbers to cover them...
    A veggie garden
    Herbs

A warm summer day with a soft breeze, the sounds of birds singing in the trees, kids hanging around, pets, and.... ME :-)

* Posted by: mgrace z4MIUP (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 21:51

Fragrant herbs and flowers; dianthus, roses, lavender, thyme,
    hyssop, valerian, nepeta, hardy geranium. Larkspur, poppies, cornflowers and any flowers that self-seed themselves all around the garden for a riot of color throughout the gardening season!

* Posted by: random_harvest z8 TX (My Page) on Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 23:53

Sunflowers!

* Posted by: vixenmoon 8a, Oregon (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 1:45

Lots of useful herbs, and desire to stray from the norm... or the inability to conform to it....

* Posted by: Nicki z9 Leesburg FL (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 10:49

Sunflowers and roses. Lots of bird feeders. Neighborhood kitties. Whimsy, lots and lots of whimsy.

Nicki

* Posted by: DebbieCA z9/sunset8 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 11:56

Flowers that you have to look carefully to notice.

* Posted by: Pat_Tea PNW, Van,WA (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 12:44

Things to make you slow down: A winding path,a bench to stop to rest and ponder, a vignette to stop and study, a cat to stop and pet, a rose to stop and smell, a sign to stop and read, birds and water to stop and listen, berries to stop and taste.

RE: It's not a cottage garden without________________

* Posted by: FlowerLady6 z10 Fl (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 13:23

Vixen moon ~ I loved this "desire to stray from the norm... or the inability to conform to it...."

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

FlowerLady

* Posted by: RSimon z9CA (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 14:18

For me its a little mix of everything with a little picket fence, (though I dont have the fence myself :) )

* Posted by: youreit z9b CA (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 14:23

.....without at least one person per season stopping to ask, "Aren't you ever going to prune that?"

.....without at least one person ever stopping to ask, "Why are you getting rid of your lawn?"

.....without significant other looking sadly at something which is obviously dormant and pronouncing, "That's a shame it died."

.....without input from all other cottage gardeners. :)

Brenda

* Posted by: fammsimm DFW (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 14:23

Simply, it's not a cottage garden if it doesn't make you smile ! :-)

* Posted by: Josie_Z6b z6b Philly (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 16:53

1) Strawberries. There's always room for strawberries.
    2) Roses.
    3) Endless supply of spearmint.
    4) Zinnias
    5) Butterflies

Oh, and 6) me getting sunburned. Great thread, Ann :)

* Posted by: todancewithwolves Z9 CA (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 17:22

Arbor with picket fence
    Trellis
    Herbs
    Roses
    Bird bath
    Lots of flowers

* Posted by: janinel2 z8 ACT Aust (My Page) on Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 22:36

hollyhocks, foxgloves, sunflowers, nasturtiums and a pumpkin

* Posted by: georich5 z5Oh (My Page) on Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 0:58

ALL OF THE ABOVE...

This is one beautiful thread. Not only the flowers but also the whole philosophy/attitude of cottage gardening.

I'm getting a little misty here.

georgeanne

* Posted by: Gramma_Jan_MN_ZN_4 (My Page) on Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 8:40

Oh my gosh, I have to save this thread TOO! All of the above mentioned. I didn't see roses and flowering vines - definitely flowering vines. I best get busy, I have a lot of plants to buy. Chuckle. Let's see, an arch, where will I find an affordable one I like, someone to install it and what plants to grow on it? Wouldn't want anyone to say mine is not a cottage garden. Oh yes, and a garden gate - doesn't have to be attached to a fence, but I must find a garden gate for a garden ornament. Oh, and lilies, I must have my Casa Blancas for frangrance and white.
    Plus it has to have friends that drop in for a glass of whatever and a place to sit and read or dream about the next planting or decor project. chuckle again.
    What about a puppy dog to follow you around and all the other critters? I show you a pic of our critters later when I have more time. Must go now, watercolors today.
    jan

* Posted by: Paula_sfbay 9-sunset 16 (My Page) on Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 11:41

A sense of enclosure.

Paula

* Posted by: Marianne018 mid-Sweden (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 10:22

A cottage :-) Well, perhaps not necessarily, but it should have a fence or a hedge, as the cottagers had to protect the garden from the farm animals. It should have a mix of soft fruit, vegetables and ornamentals because cottagers had very little space for fancy gardening. Herbs because they had to grow their own medicines after the dissolution of the monasteries in Europe. I am sure medicines were scarce in pioneer America, too. At least one onceblooming rose, no hybrid tea roses or any other modern rose, oldfashioned perennials. Straight lines everywhere and not the winding paths of the romantic 18th century landscapes of the great estates. Beds edged with box or hyssop discarded by the estate gardeners when parterres went out of fashion. But the exuberant planting will blur the lines. Perhaps a "coffee grotto" dug into the ground for protection against the wind and definitely a lilac "berceau", a round planting of lilacs with an opening to the south and with white wooden furniture (uncomfortable). A "roundel" in front of the house with a flag pole in the middle.

I have described the old farmhouse gardens of south Sweden, the only cottage gardens I am familiar with.

* Posted by: DebbieCA z9/sunset8 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 11:02

Welcome, Marrianne!

* Posted by: Eduarda Z10 - Portugal (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 12:30

Marianne, since you are here, can you please tell whether the sort of description you just made can be seen in the works of Carl Larsson? Ive seen some of his work, but can only remember his interior pictures, not any related to the garden. Did he have the same notions applied to gardening? You can´t get more cottagey, Swedish style, than Carl Larsson.

Eduarda

* Posted by: Rosewitch Z7-Mid-Atlantic (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 12:34

What a warm and wonderful thread!!
    To me a cottage garden is all of the above and hopefully a small, charming potting shed or other little place to play with plants, drink tea, read garden books and to dream.

* Posted by: serenitymeadow Z5 OH (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 13:14

This IS a wonderful thread! Everyone summed it up very nicely.

Basically, fragrances are THE most important cottage garden ingredient for me! Then add some, sunshine, arbors, roses, herbs, lilacs, lilies, butterfly bushes, an endless number of perennials but especially hollyhocks and foxgloves, roses, garden whimsey, birdbaths, roses, homemade birdhouses, hummingbird feeders, roses, garden benches, kitty cats, picket fences, a comfy hammock, having the deck piled full of new cottage plants just waiting to be planted, and ....did I mention wonderfully fragrant roses????

I like to do what Rosewitch said...."play with plants, drink tea, read garden books and to dream".

* Posted by: Charl_MO z6 MO (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 14:46

It makes my heart sing to read about all your gardens and it was said so beautifully by everyone above. I have so many of the things mentioned. Lots of the plants, a bench, an arbor with Wisteria vining on it, an arch over an opening in a fence with roses rioting along the fence and over the arch, sleeping cats, LOL...a small garden pond, a concrete duck sporting a ribbon tied around her neck, birdbath, sundial, a little frog that I move daily to inspire my hubby to look to see where he is today. I also have an old rather ornate white iron headboard to a bed that was at my MIL's for years, it has Pink Roses by it and Irises and several rocks. I have many plants given to me by friends, and my Mom and MIL, and I love to freely share everything. I also love Larkspur in my gardens along with Peonies and Clematis.
    Charl

* Posted by: Ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 14:55

I think size is important too. If it is too big, you lose the cottage feeling. It needs to feel like a room outdoors. What do you think?

* Posted by: MesquiteEnt z7 WestTX (My Page) on Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 21:49

Sunflowers, ladybugs, lizards and butterflies, a few stray flowering weeds or wildflowers (or, more than a few, in my case!), old roses, a napping German Sheperd underneath the fruit trees, birds chasing each other and singing, a pair of binoculars for watching those birds, hollyhocks and foxglove, lots of vines, some colorful heirloom veggies, strawberries, a toad house, and an old rustic (or rusty?) wheelbarrow for hauling things.

* Posted by: slubberdegulion z7 VA (My Page) on Fri, Feb 18, 05 at 22:22

-Magenta! No matter how maligned a color it is...
    -Everything big and tall: sunflowers and hollyhocks, especially.
    -Neighborhood cats locked in mortal combat with the grasses after gorging on the catnip.
    -Anything edible from nasturtiums and 'Lemon Gem' marigolds to soft fruits. Nothing makes my heart sing like eating plants to shock and horrify passing childern!
    I've really enjoyed reading the responses to this thread...

* Posted by: momcat2000 indiana (My Page) on Sat, Feb 19, 05 at 11:53

cats, birdbath, trellis, birdhouses, benches, a child's homemade yard project, roses, passalong plants, window boxes, a place to set your drink, arbors, a neighbor to talk over the fence with, wildlife, paths, welcoming walkways, water features, little signs with sappy sayings, gates, a shade corner, a problem spot where nothing will grow, a meditation spot, too many pots and not enough potting soil, one evasive plant that is crowding out everything else.............

* Posted by: Marianne018 mid-Sweden (My Page) on Mon, Feb 21, 05 at 9:44

Eduarda, I am afraid the Larssons did not seem to be much into gardening. I visited their summer home again last summer and was a bit disappointed. There were a few shrub roses by the gate and a few perennial beds. But it is difficult to know what it looked like when the Larssons lived there. The house is one of the most visited tourist traps in Sweden and the heirs still stay in the house in summer and for Christmas (in rooms hidden from the public). I guess they are too busy keeping the house in order and guiding the thousands of visitors to do much gardening.

Having a summer home is very common and in general, Swedes do not garden much around their summer homes. The ideal is to have a "torp", an old redpainted wooden cottage often without inside water or electricity, so the area around the house is often left natural. There is plenty of rough grass and trees and if there are flower beds at all they are mostly right up to the house because the mounded soil would act as insulation in winter and the custom persists. The same old flowers can be seen all over the country, orange lilies, blue monkshoods, peonies, scarlet poppies, Maltese crosses, yellow loosestrife. My cousin up north once asked me what to plant at her summer home and was so disappointed when I suggested those flowers. "But everyone has them". Common shrubs are mock orange, lilacs and a few varieties of roses, R. alba 'Maxima', R. pimpinellifolia (several kinds are popular but 'Double White' most of all), 'Minette' once thought to be a uniquely Swedish rose called Rosa suionum (Swedish rose) until it was discovered to be by Vibert from 1819. 'Maxima' used to be called the 'loo rose' in the south because it was planted by the outhouse.

If they have not inherited a "torp" from farming ancestors, people build a "sports cottage", often in brown wood, in the middle of the wood or by a lake, and then garden even less. Because so many people go away for the summer, most people have 6 weeks' summer vacation, they do not garden much around their permanent home either. There is a lot of evergreen foundation plantings, overgrown "dwarf" pines not so dwarf after 40 years.

I think Sweden resembles Ireland in that the country was so poor in the 19th century that there was not money or strength enough for gardening. And vegetables were considered as food for rabbits only. Only in the rich and fertile south was there anything like cottage gardening.

* Posted by: momcat2000 indiana (My Page) on Mon, Feb 21, 05 at 11:25

wow, that explains something for me. my grandmother's family were swedes and they all had "summer shacks" by a lake. it took my grandmother's second husband "a dutchman" to plant the flower and veggie gardens.......

* Posted by: Tonylyn Z3 N.Ont. (My Page) on Tue, Feb 22, 05 at 9:48

A flower with a scent that reminds you of somewhere you have been or someone you loved. For me it is Phlox, they remind me of my grandmothers garden and everytime I smell them for just a few seconds I am just a child again in her garden.

Tonylyn

* Posted by: Eduarda Z10 - Portugal (My Page) on Wed, Apr 6, 05 at 18:57

I thought it was about time to bump this thread up, it has been one of my favorites. Now that we´re finally in Spring, let´s keep adding to it!

Eduarda

* Posted by: windflower 7b (My Page) on Wed, Apr 6, 05 at 19:12

... a scrawny teenager asking if he can have one of your flowers for his shy girlfriend in the car

... telling the teenage boy sure and come back next year for a plant all your own to give her

... a weed that won't go away -- the one that came with the plants your mom brought seven hours in a car to your garden, leaving behind the extra luggage just to fit them all in

... a fleeting glimpse, glance or glance that makes you wonder if fairies really do exist

... a silent prayer ... the kind that aren't spoken, but felt

--em

* Posted by: mscarlet z5 MA (My Page) on Thu, Apr 7, 05 at 0:04

...vines, vines and more vines climbing on everything and anything

...weather worn post with an even more worn birdhouse hanging from it.

...gates, trellis'dripping with roses and vines

...little willow fences to screen out the rest of the world

...butterflies, hummingbirds, and birds flying about the blooms and splashing in the birdbath for a quick drink and cool down

...my cat trying to chase a butterfly

...the smell of phlox and roses permeating the air

...little flea market finds all about overflowing with annuals

...evergreens about the yard giving you the privacy to enjoy the little world you created

...my little daughter running from plant to plant excitedly telling me what is blooming now

...me sitting in the middle of it all with a cool lemonade and a book I can't keep my attention on for the beauty of my surroundings...

* Posted by: HotHouseHen (My Page) on Thu, Apr 7, 05 at 17:46

-something made by hand
    -a plant you can't resist touching and/or smelling
    -something that makes you pause and smile
    -birds, bees, butterflies, and hummers
    -something that brings fond memories
    -something that only "YOU" know is there
    -something given to you
    -a dream or idea for something new
    -a plant or tree for each person in the family(usually planted by them)
    -a frog(real or fake-I have both)
    These are just a few of my "can't be withouts" even if they aren't in the original "Cottage" theme.

Love this thread!!

Much thanks to Carrie, who saved this for the Cottage Garden forum!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

When I read the post that meantioned a 'lilac berceau' of course I had to see a berceau. Every search leads to something of value.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

Yes, thanks for sharing. Well, I have many of those flowers but perhaps not quite the design. In my mind's eye, a cottage garden is as shown in the picture at the top and to the right of this forum. I used to collect old framed prints of cottage gardens.

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

When the British landed here and built Ft. Victoria, they brought many seeds and plants from home. Because our weather is similar to England, those plants flourished.

I have an English cottage garden outside England.
    Or, a Victorian garden. ;)

Libby

• DYH
    15 years ago

I knew what Annette said last time because Nell told us in the post right above mine.

I'm not one for labels, but without the Cottage Garden Form, where would we post?

Flower variety (just roses, just salvia, just dahlia, just perennials, just annuals) doesn't quite fit because we grow so many different varieties among us.

If we go to regional forums, we miss the gardens of like-minded folks across the world.

We all have that great, friendly, welcoming cottage gardening spirit in our hearts and minds.

Cameron

15 years ago

I quite agree with Cameron.
    -schoolhouse, thanks for looking that up. I dug up an old second-hand copy of my English Gardens and I must have been looking at the Canadian price. I gotta' have a subscription now too! Just tell yourself it prevents cabin fever during our long winters, lol.
    CMK

15 years ago

Libby will you put up a link to your garden as I think some might have not seen it in previous posts?

Libby's and Annie's gardens are similar yet different to the gardens both of my sets of grandparents had.
    One garden was on a large city lot and one garden was on a larger property. One of the gardens was predominantly veggies and fruit with flowers, shrubs, lots of roses along the fence, the other was a good mix but a lot more flowers.
    My favorite was the cottage garden at the beach. A dirt lane with a grape ladened 6 foot fence led to the garage pronounced like carriage :o) you came out of the garage onto a lavender lined path turning left you went down a flagstone path with a flower bed on one side and a potato patch on the other side. At this point if you turned left again you entered a rustic pergola covered in antique roses, a running flagstone path running through it with a bench halfway long where I use to sit just to catch the scent of these wonderful old roses.
    The well was situated in the middle of the garden where it was my job to pump the water into buckets which my grandfather carried throughout the garden (this grandpa was a retired coal miner who worked very hard to acquire what he had). Some of the flowers I remember from his garden are foxgloves, cup and saucer campanula, hollyhocks, carnations and pinks, lavender and of course all the roses. There were a lot of other flowers like salpiglossis, clarkia and sea thrift but these are the ones that stick in my mind.
    Their cottage was in a rural district at the time, no running water so yes there was an outhouse. The one thing different from other rural cottages this one had beach frontage so had a boat house with a track running down the beach. When the tide was in we went fishing. This set of grandparents also had a house in town where grandpa had another garden, smaller but very productive. They spent most of summers at the beach returning to town every two weeks or so for a few days.
    Although all our gardens are somewhat different because of where we live which does dictates what we can grow, we can all grow in the cottage style or cottage spirit. Gardens full of charm, old fashioned flowers mixed with flowers and the varieties of today.
    I think there's so much interest in the cottage style of gardening because it takes you back to kinder and gentler time, it's a kind of garden that welcomes you with open arms after you've had a particular crappy day. A place of beauty without the sharp lines and soldiers in a row type of planting you see in formal garden. A place where you can actually catch your breath, recharge your batteries and just enjoy. A

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I have a water pump near one of the sunken gardens. My uncle installed probably over 60yrs. ago., and I used it for many years too. But, alas, a leak occurred in a connecting pipe nearby and stupidly I chose to discontinue use of the pump instead of properly patching the leaky pipe (underground). So, the pump sits among shrubs and sedum, probably choked with rust.

Aftermidnight, that garden has given you precious memories, it must have been wonderful.

15 years ago

When I said no running water I should have said they did have water piped to the little pantry attached to the kitchen (referred to as the skullery by Gran) but the pump there had to be primed when it hadn't been used for awhile. Water was heated on the wood stove for washing up and the baths that were taken in a galvanized tub out on the porch. Times certainly have changed for the better in this instance :o). A

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

As you suggested, Annette.

Libby

• jxa44
    15 years ago

oh libby, i could smell your garden and feel the sun on my face. what a wonderful garden. what a wonderful stroll. thank you, thank you, thank you!

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

You're welcome, jxa. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
    Thanks for your kind words.

Libby

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

I didn't read the article, because I am trying to get caught up here and on my blog. I agree with you in the ways you disagree with it. I have read a few books and articles, and each is a little different in what they say. I like your conclusion about the types of homes lived in in the past and present. This has reminded me of an article I read a few years ago about gardening styles. I am going to start a new thread, and try to put a link to the article.

Sue

• luckygal
    15 years ago

I'm thrilled to have discovered this forum!

My garden has, for a number of years, been "Cottage" style for want of any other definition. Informal, closely planted, started out planned but evolved. What I like about this style is that there is often a surprise awaiting on a stroll thru the garden - a little self-seeded plant, large rock placed to support a statue left when the statue was moved, a garden decoration peeking out from beneath the overgrown foliage. Perhaps even an unidentified plant which may or may not be a "weed". There's room for those to stay for awhile until their true nature is determined!

I don't believe that a cottage garden should only be allowed next to a cottage home, or that there are many "requirements" for such a garden. There are as many cottage garden styles as there are cottage gardeners because of the informal and personal nature of the style. It's perfect for those of us who buy plants on a whim wherever we find them and happily accept extras from other gardeners without a concern as to where we will plant them.

My choice has also been to have an organic garden so birds are an important part as they keep the insects in check.

I have saved this entire thread and look forward to reading everyone's ideas when I am more awake!

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Welcome, luckygal.

"There are as many cottage garden styles as there are cottage gardeners"

You'll fit in well here. :)

Libby

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

Hi luckygal,
    I could've written what you did! You described my style to a "T". I also have gotten into butterflies, and let the caterpillars eat until they either become chrysalises or get eaten by a bird or snake. We have a good population of garter snakes. I tried to find a picture of one, but couldn't. Here is a link to my blog I've recently started where I talk about my "wildlife".

Sue

15 years ago

Hi luckygal welcome to Cottage, as Libby says you'll fit right in. Your garden sounds a lot like mine, might have different plants but I garden the same way you do :o).

Annette

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Libby, Sue, and Annette for the warm welcome! I've already been inspired with several ideas of changes or rather additions I can make to my garden next year. That's the good thing about cottage style, one can always find room for more! Altho I may have to get rid of more of DH's grass! That's another story. My idea of a garden is large beds with grass paths, and my DH's idea is lawn with a few borders. Makes for interesting discussions as I rely on him to help with the heavy work. He's really very helpful tho.

Supposedly garter snakes are common in our area also, Sue, altho I've only seen one in all the years we've been here. I suspect they may hide under the stairs in the rockery. I look forward to reading your blog.

Libby, I enjoyed looking at your lovely garden pics and your orange cat is adorable. I have two orange cats - it's my fav cat color altho I don't mention that in front of the Maine Coon who is pretty cute too!

Libby and Annette I just noticed you are both on the Island. I'm in BC also altho much further north in the hinterland with cold zone 3 to deal with. Definitely not your typical English garden climate but there are still a lot of plants that do well here.

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Hi luckygal, Welcome to the cottage. I be up here in the north as well. Where are you?

Sierra

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Hey, sierra, thanks for the welcome - you're in a colder zone than I am! Any snow yet? We're still enjoying mostly nice fall weather. Only one brief snowfall so far.

I don't like to give too much info on the net but guess it's safe to say we're south of PG! Where are you?

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Hey luckygal, We had a couple snow falls, but nothing stuck yet. We are close. lol. I was suspicious by the wording of your post.

Have you found the Far North forum here on GW yet? Great bunch over there too, that can answer cold specific questions. Lots of info on that forum too and check out the gallery.....the photos are amazing. Combine the two forums and you get a cold zone cottage garden. :)

Sierra

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Sierra, I've discovered the Far North forum, thanks to you! Previously I had thot it was for those further north than I am. Have yet to look at the gallery - I could spend 24/7 here if I had no other life. LOL

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!