Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedarglen_gw

I've discovered one thing that can stop my gardening...

cedarglen
12 years ago

Morning sickness! I'm thrilled to be expecting our 2nd baby, but I have been horribly sick for over two months now :(. I feel sick morning, noon, and night. Yuck! My poor garden has never been so neglected... It's full of weeds and plants that need to be cleaned out. I'm hoping that I will get some nice days in the early spring where I can hopefully maneuver around my big belly to do some cleaning up. Have any of you had to let your gardens go for a season? Did the garden recover? Mine is just plain embarrassing right now!

Comments (13)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your morning sickness!! :) At least you get to grow something through the winter! Although it has been MANY years since I had that experience, the memory will stay with me forever! I was sick constantly and had super heartburn to boot. All 7.5 months of my pregnancy!! Premature baby. So sorry you have to go through that. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time with child. :) Such a precious time.

Your garden will be just fine. Mother Nature will take care of that. I was sick all last year and couldn't do any gardening due to a bone infection. I am still catching up and there is no cure for old age. My garden is a jungle but the plants are still there living with their ugly cousins! I just don't take any pictures. And you and baby are most important right now. And if it is really stressing you out, maybe ask around at some local churches. There are often volunteers who will gladly do good deeds to help out a mom to be.

Ginny Garden

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Yes, your garden will survive. It might get untidy, but so what.
    Also your morning sickness may disappear over night. I was that way with my 3rd boy. I just woke up one morning and was surprised not to be sick.

Kathy

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Congratulations, here's hoping the morning sickness doesn't stick around too much longer. As everyone has said the garden will keep :).

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Congrats Cedarglen!
    One of my gardening friends here has been terribly sick through her third pregnancy. She's not done much to the garden (and my back is out for the 2nd week in a row) - but I suspect she will cry out to the neighborhood gardeners in a week or two, asking for a few hours of weeding, and mulching the leaves her hubby will rake up. We have a wonderful group of gardeners, and when their house was going to be renovated everyone went with shovels, trucks and pots and dug up the entire garden, potted it up and took it to a guys house for overwintering. Then they brought it back and planted it for her and it has been so beautiful!
    Do you have any super kind gardener friends you can call on? We do all kinds of this stuff for each other: volunteer for each others garden projects at the school garden or the community or farmers market gardens, clean up and plant our business district, haul mulch or manure etc.
    It will be tough when you are full of baby, but my (above) girlfriend did some amazing things with her 2nd pregnancy. We were getting the house constantly flooded with water during a heavy rainy season and she come and helped me DIG TRENCHES to carry water away! I couldn't believe it, she was so fantastic.

• mytime
    12 years ago

My garden was totally neglected throughout 2 summers in a row of chemo. One thing gardening teaches you...things survive! It might not be as pretty or as neat as you would like it, but except for things that need to be babied, it lives on.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Congrats on the baby,but sorry about the sickness.I was sick everyday for the whole time of my 4 pregnancies,and nothing they gave me helped.I never gained 20# with any of them.The first 3 i lived on ice chips,oranges,and ice cream.The 4th one not so much ice,but ice cream for sure.

My gardens were neglected for 2 years while i had a knee replacement,then 3 mos later a bilateral mastectomy,followed by chemo.I'd just go out and walk around in them when i felt up to it,and DH did help out some,not too much though,my choice,as sometimes he pulls plants thinking they are weeds.

Take care of yourself,and grow a happy,healthy baby,they're better than any flowers!!
    Kathi

• cedarglen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much fr all the nice comments and congratulations! We are over the moon about this baby, especially because we had a difficult road to pregnancy this time around. But boy, the morning sickness is awful. I feel subhuman most days. I sure hope it clears up soon! I'm only really bothered by the gardens when I muster the energy to go out and tour them... Amazing how quickly weeds grow! It's difficult to even see some of my newly planted trees! It doesn't help that I was a bit overzealous in my planning and have gigantic areas where it looks like I'm actively cultivating thistles and nettles :). Oh well, this too shall pass! Thank you so much for the reassurance that it will someday be salvagable. It sounds like some of you have had much more difficult seasons than I, and much more challenging reasons for those seasons. I know from the forum pictures that you all have beautiful gardens! If I get to feeling too despondent all I need to do is look at my beautiful two year old for a reminder of how little anything else matters :).

• finchelover
    12 years ago

CONGRAD! i WILL THINK OF YOU IN EARLY SPRING. I TOO HAVE WEEDS,WEEDS,WEEDS i GOT ARTHRITIS IN MY BACK AND COULDN'T GET OUT FOR 2 WEEKS. I GOT 1 BED CLEANED MY GRAND BOYS CAME OVER ONE DAY SO THEY DID A GOOD JOB BUT MY POOR ROSE BED I JUST HOPE THEY SURVIVE THE WEEDS[QUEEN ANNS LACE]THEY ARE TALLER THAN MY ROSES...BUT MY ROSES ARE STILL BLOOMING.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Congratulations. Your garden will survive just fine. Weedy, yes, but they can be pulled next year.

However . . . . I don't recommend going out in the spring when you are really big. I did that. I found out the hard way that as you are in the last few months of pregnancy your body is producing the hormone relaxin to prepare for birth. All your joints in your pelvic area get loose, this does not work with gardening. I was just digging up a small rose bush to move it. But as I bent over and lifted, something in my lower back snapped loose and I was in excruciating pain, and stayed that way for a week. I couldn't walk, couldn't sleep, couldn't even sit! I had to borrow the neighbor's old lady walker when after 3 days I tried to walk around the house. I never had a bad back before, and have never had one since. I have a strong back and I wasn't even doing "heavy" lifting. But when you have that relaxin loosening your joints, the same rules don't apply. You are not your normal strong self.

So, my advice is to take it easy and enjoy your 2 year old. The garden can wait.

And good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: relaxin hormone

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Cedarglen: Congrats!!! How Super!
    Kathi: You are a Trooper!!!
    I have done NOTHING to my poor yard since early Spring...been sick with various ailments, and am Grateful for such lousy weather(long overcast cool spring) we have had here, as it has saved most plants...there is always next year! It at least has slowed me down on the plant buying!!!ha!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

What a wonderful thing to have interfere with gardening> congratulations on your addition.
    kay

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Congrats!
    I had the most trouble with morning sickness when I was pregnant with my twins (hope I didn't just jinx you). It helped to never let my stomach get empty. I kept crackers around and didn't go more than an hour without eating.

We had a kitchen fire a few years ago and had to move out for almost six months, then move back, and my gardens were neglected for a very long time. It was August and over a hundred degrees when we had our fire but I wasn't able to water and of course the weeds grew just fine. I had a lot of recovery to do the next spring but my plants survived just fine and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I bet you'll catch up even if you wait until summer.
    Gardening is a great hobby when you have small children since sometimes it's difficult to get out of the house for a whole afternoon to shop or something but it's easy to step out for 20 minutes for a break when hubby is there to take over.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Congrates! It's exciting to have another to join the family dynamics.

Yes, yes, yes ... seasons of gardening.

When I was a mom of young children our gardens were simple, but got in shape a few times a year when we applied mulch or cut plants back in the spring. It's much easier to tackle when the plants are just waking up. Just think you're providing habitat for beneficials!

As the kids grew they helped garden and I let them have their own spaces. I figured how could they hurt it? We also began using mulch in the vegetable garden, so there are no big weeding jobs before spring planting.

When you feel up to it during a spell of mild weather just layer some newspaper or cardboard over your weeds & top with mulch/compost ingredients. Now that our youngest is 17 & I've taken over everything again that's the way I start new gardens or clean up when I help family members with their yards. Who wants to dig & get a sore back at any age or stage of life?

I try not to grow too many fussy plants or if I do don't lament too much if they don't make it.

Maybe focus on one garden space near the house or a view from a window. Then you can say that one is done & enjoy it ignoring the others until spring!

Sponsored