Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Fall Favorites

mantis__oh
10 years ago

Generally mild weather has produced an abundance of fall flowers. Here are some favorites.

The large waxy blossoms of the Montauk daisy have been sparkling for weeks.

Cleome Senorita Rosalita has formed a huge clump. These do require moisture for best performance, and they need to get well established early on.

Of course, anemones. Just now finishing.

Cannas are in their final flourish. (Polly Gay here)

Roses are throwing some wonderful blooms in the cooler fall weather. Here, Frederic Mistral:

And Mother of Pearl

Elina has been filled with buds. A marvelous, long-lasting rose:

Zinnias are still prolific, but the end is near.

Cactus ones seem especially long lasting.

Photographed in late August, these swallowtails are no longer around. But the duranta still is blooming.

Big heads of celosia:

So many things that I will have to make another post.

Comments (8)

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

I have fallen in love with your garden. Wonderful!
    Daisy

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Oh how lucky you are to have so much bloom and color now. I have been thinking of cutting back mine except several (like the anemones) are still plugging away. Temp is suppose to go down to 39 one night this week so I should gather in more of the terra cotta pots. Their geraniums got their second wind and are so pretty. Maybe I'll bring them into the house for awhile.

Love your zinnias. I think I will plant those next year. I tried a seed mix this time and altho it turned out fairly well, I still prefer a row of beautiful zinnias. Thanks for posting.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With daytime temps barely reaching 60 and shorter days, things will rapidly decline. The anemones were especially nice this year because, again, August was not so hot (what a contrast from last year). Really, zinnias can not be beat for cuts.

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

Your garden is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your pics.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Beautiful.

Do you know the name of the pink anemones? They remind me of the new from seed ones that I have blooming this year, "Margarete". The deer and rabbits got the ones in the front garden but the one in the holding bed is blooming away. I also have a pink Pamina which is not as dark.

Did you plant a mass of cleome together or did you pinch one or two plants to encourage branching? I planted three close but not close enough to look like a bush. Like that effect.

There is still lots blooming here but expecting a frost tonight and have been cutting and sharing bouquets with the neighbors.

Thanks for sharing.

• User
    10 years ago

Fantastic blooms,..all beauties,..i envy you with so many colourful blooms in the fall.

Philip

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I suspect the pink anemone is Prince Henry or Pamina, but don't know for sure. It does not grow so tall as the white one, which I suspect is Andrea Atkinson (starts blooming already in August and goes for weeks).

All this is history now with the cold wave.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cleome is one plant of Senorita Rosalita. It tends to grow compactly if given full sun. Yes, spent yesterday cutting dahlias.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!