Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Mini blinds as markers: plastic or metal?

natalie4b
12 years ago

What is your experience with mini blinds as plant markers? How long do they last? Do metal ones outlast plastic ones? Pros and cons?

For years I have been purchasing different kinds: popsicle sticks, plastic plant markers - they don't last, and the plastic ones crumble easily after a year or so.

I have just purchased Ear Tag Marking Pen on line (have not received it yet). It has been recommended by someone on Garden Forum as a truly permanent one.

Mini blinds are inexpensive, and can be cut in a life supply of markers.

So, metal or plastic?

Thanks!

~Natalie

Comments (13)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

The metal last longer. If you are not happy with the marker, I have discovered that writing in pencil last longer than most markers.

Kathy

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I use aluminum mini blinds and a china marker (grease pencil).

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Good to know about the metal ones. Are the pretty pricy? Where do you guys usually get them? Don't recall seeing them at Walmart.

I have been pilfering the plastic slats from blinds in the basement for awhile now, as there was excess at the bottom. Now, since I have been doing a lot of seed starting, there isn't any to spare! I know if I don't find some others soon those poor binds will end up with more slats missing and the neighbors will be able to get an eye-full, LOL!

As for the plastic blinds...they are okay. Markers rub off, so I also use a pencil. They only last for a year, maybe two if they haven't been in the sun (they will get brittle in the sun).
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Chris, do you have a restore or recycle store near you sometimes you can pick up these blinds real cheap. I used to have the metal minis on 9 windows so I have a good supply.
    I find the grease pencil lasts really a long time for me and it's easier to see the name at a glance. When I want to reuse I clean the names off with a bit of comet.

Annette

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I have been using the metal miniblinds for years now and find that If I mark them on both ends and on both sides then the weather doesn't fade or erase them. When they start to fade on the upper side I rewrite the name and flip them. They last much longer than plastic. I get mine at the restore we have down the block but have seen them at thrift stores and such over the years.

I use a Sharpie permanent marker but am interested to see how your ear tag marker works Natalie. I'm sure I can get one of those at the Vet and Pet supply shop down the road from us. :) I too have heard that the grease pencils work well. I shall have to check out Staples for one of those. Kathy, do you actually engrave the blind in pencil? I haven't used that method before. :)

Ginny

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Thanks Annette! Didn't even think to look there...
    CMK

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

I have used dh tin snips for metal blinds. and file all sharp edges of. After cutting finger. Then coated edge with clear hand polish. Got blind ends free at Blind store.

• plumeriafl
    12 years ago

You can buy aluminum plant tags on eBay that permanently 'indent' with your writing when you write on them with a pencil or ball-point pen. These are great; they come with wire ties, they don't corrode and they are very easy to write on. I use them for all my plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal Plant Tags

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received, used and love the Ear Tag Marking Pen! It writes very well, and has an extra thin tip, but I find the regular tip thin enough. Will be able to tell you in few years if it lasts - hopefully it will. I just need to use good tags - the plastic mini blinds pieces feel flimsy, hard to insert in the ground, and will most probably crumble quickly - they are OK for indoor gardening, but not for the outdoor. So, I will toss them and improvise with suggested by you guys.
    Thanks for the input!
    Natalie

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

I also made some out of wood blinds. Cut point with table saw. Glue picture of flower + name from catalog.Sprayed with finish for sign out side. Oh I used clear nail polish on picture. Have lasted 4-5 year.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I use the metal blinds, and old set someone was discarding. I figure it is a lifetime supply, and I cut them with tinsnips.

I use a paint pen for writing. It lasts years. I used to be able to just buy them at Michaels but they have stopped carrying them. Now I mail order them from an art supply store. A paint pen is a magic marker with paint instead of ink.

Rosefolly

• mariagrace
    9 years ago

Plastic blinds are more suitable than aluminium blinds, as they are easy to clean also.

• flowerladylorraine
    9 years ago

I've used the plastic slats and a pencil too. Works well for me.