Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkhooper

Cottage Garden vs. Specimen Garden

tkhooper
13 years ago

I'm still pretty new to gardening. So, I was wondering what the difference between a specimen garden and a cottage garden would be. I thought I wanted a specimen garden but I love the gardens here and would like to have one like it. I would appreciate your input.

Comments (9)

• ginny12
    13 years ago

Please tell us what you mean by a specimen garden. I have never heard that term in many years of gardening.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

I think of a specimen garden as one where featured plants, such as a large sago palm or very old, rare tree would be the centerpiece of a garden area. Like plants or like species would be grouped together with labels identifying them, their, Latin names, common name(s), origins, and historical significance. It would be a somewhat staid and dignified place where you might visit to educate yourself.

When I think of a cottage garden my mind swims with a joyous riot of colors, textures and scents. The tomatoes are mixed among the daisies and frog fruit. The paths are edged with lavender and verbena grows underfoot. I imagine a low stone wall there will be scented geraneums tumbling over the top of it. Plants essential to a cottage garden include roses, hollyhocks, daisies, lilies, tall phlox, iris, salvias and all the most common, old fashioned flowering plants. A cottage garden will be thronged during daylight hours with bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. The cottage garden contains comfortable seating areas where one can rest and contemplate and appreciate the pure sweetness of it. Cheryl

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

When I think of a specimen garden I think of, for example, a rose garden per se, only roses, lined up like little soldiers. To me a cottage garden means a mixture of plants that I like, wherever I like, whatever makes me happy!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I have heard that term and I wasn't for sure what that meant either. I always thought of it more "constructed" "precise" more for learning not beauty.

I am with cheryl (love love love your explanation by the way) when it comes to a cottage garden. I think of the butterflies flying around going to one flower than the next. The humming birds fighting amongst each other over the flower or the nectar that has been set out. I think of a sea of color, with stone paths. Flowers lightly draped on the paths winding through the garden. The smells from the flowers cover the air. Song birds in the back ground (is it only me that have birds that sound like they are saying pretty pretty pretty, lol when working in my garden ). An occasional bunny that flattens a clump of flowers to build a nest for her babies. A bench off in the far corner to where you can hear maybe some water trickling, while sitting and relaxing from all of your hard work out of the sun. Ahhhhhhh!!!

I have a long way to go for mine but it doesn't stop me from dreaming. lol

• tkhooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, I'm definitely cottage garden bound. This is my second year 3rd growing season in the house and I've made progress. Rather than just the 3 foundation beds the house had to begin with I now have 7 flower beds 1 berry bed and 5 fruit trees. I didn't clean the bed areas real good when I came in so I'm still trying to tame the weeds but I'm getting there with weed cloth and a lot of weeding and preen. Next year I'm thinking I may actually be able to keep up with everything.

I could not get my hollyhocks to bloom. So I may not end up with them in my garden or I may have to wait until I figure out how to have a water feature and then plant them near it so they get the moisture they need in my zone.

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

I haven't been able to find a definition of "specimen garden" yet, but will keep looking now that my curiosity is piqued. However, I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

Visiting an arboretum recently, I wandered through their display of plants of China, which were definitely being exhibited as specimens. They were so pleasingly arranged, however, along a winding path, that it certainly had a cottage garden feel to it.

You may be able to have both!

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

you could always have a cottage garden, but then allow certain special plants to be featured by how you place them.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Below is a definition I copied re specimen plants. A specimen garden would be a collection of specimen plants. Plants that are separated with some space from other plants. I often think of only one or a couple of the plants. As seamommy said, I think of them labeled.

"Definition: Specimen plants are plants grown by themselves in a lawn or garden for ornamental effect, rather than being massed with others as are bedding plants or edging plants. Specimen plants can thus serve as focal points in landscape design. An example of a specimen plant is a flowering tree that has a prominent spot reserved for it on a lawn."

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

I wish I'd taken a few photos of that display at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists