Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

50% and 75% off, bulbs and trees, andshrubs oh my

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

I said I was done with Fall chores....went to Lowes for a magazine, tried hard to resist a visit to the garden center...couldn't.

AAAAAAAACK! Came home with daffs and tulips, a Shasta Doublefile Viburnum, Dappled Willow and a Midwinter Fire Dogwood. Bulbs were a little over $3 a bag (some with 50ct!),two of the shrubs for $4.49 each and the willow for $3. This when my car goes into the shop on Dec.1st. for $700 worth of necessary body work! My brain just went right out the window.

As soon as I drink my coffee, I'm headed out with the shovel. It's a beautiful day here, and since it's suppose to rain in a couple days it's a good time to plant.

Comments (8)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

LOL, not out the window, I think your brain was working just fine. Nobody in their right mind would pass up a deal like that.

Annette

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- What a great deal! I wish our Lowe's still had trees and shrubs. I don't even know if they have any bulbs left, but if they did, it would be a difficult deal to pass up :)

Have fun planting today!

• helenh
    13 years ago

Fall is an exciting time to catch bargains. With a big unfun expense you needed to have some fun picking up bargains.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

My horiscope said I have to learn to do better with my finances. I guess that means I have to stay away from Lowe's right now or I'd blow every penny I could scrounge up.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, you know I was thinking as I was planting today. All the money I spend on smaller and bargain shrubs/trees because I can't afford the bigger ones and have to wait 15yrs.for them to mature, I could have bought one or two big, expensive shrubs each year for the past 15 years and be reaping the benefits by now. Eh.

The bulbs were a deal. Nice healthy ones, too. I'm surprised there were so many bags left and still a nice selection of tulip colors and varieties. I tend not to plant alot of tulips because the chipmunks and moles eat them, but I bought some red/white striped ones for around the courtyard. A little tall at 24", but I took a chance of them looking alright.

Have to say the ground, here anyway, is still hard as a rock and dry as a bone. They say we might not get as much snow this winter, well I'm hoping we do.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

When you find shrubs etc. at rock bottom prices, it's foolish to pass them up. You practically have to buy them or else spend the next few weeks/months kicking yourself. I stopped at the farm up the road back in October and they were selling perennials in gallon pots BOGO. I got two nice size lady's mantle plants for $6. I went back at the end of the month & got a couple more. Last weekend I went again and they sold them to me for $2 each! I bought 3; shoulda bought all they had.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, those are some great deals you got! And what a nice selection of wonderful, interesting shrubs to add to the garden.

• grandmachris
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse,
    The magic happened to us about 10 days ago. After I left the 93 year old woman living in her own home whom I visit every week, I decided to drop by Lowes "just in case". Everything was marked down 75% While I was there the boss came out and said everything would be 50 cents or a quarter!!! I got two itea bushes and about 10 perennials, took them home, planted them in a vacant part of our raised bed veggie garden before I even told my husband!

We have a development--40+ lots-- that were ready just when the real estate market burst. 2008-- It is the last section of the Hidden Valley Subdivisions that we
    have built on 2 adjacent old farms since 1969. There the lots are, ready for sale. 5 houses have been built and are occupied. BUT--there are lots of lots, very attractive on rural and lightly wooded land. They need to be mowed and occasionally edge trimmed. My quite senior husband's job. The hardest part has been the area around the 28 two foot tall utility connection towers which are on every other lot. The tractor can't get very close and we have to get someone to string trim and weed out thistles, etc.

Well, next spring those 28 utility towers
    will each have a large clump of ornamental grass, tall sedums or daylillies, perhaps a dwarf evergreen, some ground-cover-- We filled the whole back end of my station wagon THREE Times!! All courtesy of LOWES. Total cost--unbelievably low. I pulled up all the dead tomato vines
    and filled the complete raised bed very full 30 x 4 feet.

Our soil is just too hard to work this fall but the bed was
    in good shape. We have some rain scheduled tomorrow with cooler weather on Sunday. I'm hoping to plant some sedges, rushes etc. out by the pond then.

I don't know where I'm going to put my winter-sowing containers. They have lived in the bed where everything is. There are 2 other raised beds where I can put the winter sowing containers. I'll just have to get things moved out by May 15 for warm weather veggies.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner