Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Birdhouse remodel underway

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

This is the birdhouse that sits high on a pole in my garden, well it DID sit there. Two men came this morning to dismantle it and one of them will recreate it as it must have looked originally.

My Uncle made the house in 1949 (according to the date scratched into the concrete at the base of the pole). For many years even when I lived here, a big standard crabapple tree nearby more or less protected it from the elements as the limbs nearly cradled the house. Obviously the tree was planted after the birdhouse was installed. One year lightning struck the tree and eventually it had to come down. This exposed the birdhouse plus without any maintenance from me, it slowly deteriorated to the state you see in the photo. Birds still occupied it every year, tho. There must have been years and years worth of birdnesting material in there, because there was a huge pile on the ground. I feel sorry I took away their cozy home right when cold weather is coming.

Ben will work on the house as a winter project, he is a woodworker who enjoys a challenge. And he promises it won't cost "an arm and a leg". We shall see. I have until Spring to save for it!

{{gwi:763268}}

Comments (28)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wanted to comment that I'm feeling pretty certain that my Uncle used some of the wainscoting from the school (my house) to make the sides of the birdhouse. What do you think?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I think it is way cool and I bet the birds will be thrilled with their refurbished abode. Even more special because of the family history. I love stuff like that-makes it a treasure! Be sure to get it back up in February or before the birds start their scouting! Oh, and I'll be looking forward to a picture then, too!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cnyn427, thanks. I'm curious as to how the guys will get it back up there. Never thought about trying to complete it before nesting begins, but to the sparrows and starlings move-in day came be all summer long.

Most probably it was a martin house to begin with, but that takes alot of dedication to lure martins in and keep them - esp. with sparrows competing.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

We have always thought a martin house would be wonderful, but I have never even seen one in our yard. Not a fan of starlings, though. I guess you are right-a lot of birds will come whenever. It will be so much fun for you when it is finished! How tall is the pole? I'll bet Ben is already working on a plan for mounting the house!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How is the pole? I would guess he had a 12 - 16' ladder out there. It's pretty high up, doesn't stop the coon from shimmying right up that pole to rob the nests tho. I found his muddy little hand/foot prints one morning this summer.

I was so disappointed I didn't get to watch them taking the house down, preoccupied on the computer; and by the time I looked they were gone. Took them all of a half hour. Wanted to take photos! Possibly, it came down in one piece or the majority of it did. Didn't get a chance to talk to them.

Maybe to some people it seems a waste of money, but I feel my Uncle would be happy I replaced it. One problem I notice is that the iron plate it sat on is rusted right where the house was bolted on to it. Could be that I'll have to replace that too, which will be tricky.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I love it when these old treasures are restored and get a second chance. It does look like it was a Martin House at one time.
    We have a few Purple Martins around here although I've never seen one. I think some Martin houses have been erected on poles out in the mud flats near where we live.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I don't see how anyone could consider the project a waste of money. I think it is a lovely thing to do and just think how much nicer it will be than a new store-bought one! Great decision, Christine!

• frogview00
    13 years ago

Be sure to post an "after" photo. I love to see things restored. Your uncle must have been a true craftsman to make/build something that lasted 60 yrs .

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, I was expecting a single-hole birdhouse and then scrolled to see your picture and realized it's a bird hotel! It is beautiful and it's so great that you have chosen to have it restored especially with the family history. It's never a waste of money to do something that means so much to your heart and soul.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday Ben called for me to come check on the progress of the birdhouse. My jaw hit the floor when I walked into his shop and saw how HUGE the house is! I couldn't believe it. He said it's even appx.1" shorter at the base then the original. I think he's done a super job, very well made. I wasn't sure about the second dormer on the one end because we had discussed that and agreed there originally had been only one. Well, he said he and his son-in-law thought about it some more and then were pretty sure they could see where a second dormer had been attached and fallen off years ago.
    I guess I like it either way.

I was to decide whether I wanted a shingled roof or a metal roof. As soon as I saw it, I knew shingles was the answer - black shingles in fact like the original. Now I'm thinking of paint colors - white trimmed in green? or dark green trimmed in a russet red? The wood is sassafras, and it doesn't weigh a ton like you'd think. Has 32 nesting compartments.

It won't be ready until next month sometime as he has other jobs to get out, but I said that was ok by me. Besides, I won't be ready to put it up on the pole for awhile, so we've decided it will stay at his shop until then. I'll go ahead and pay him though. Also, I suggested that he "sign" the birdhouse by attaching a small brass plate with his name and the date at the very peak of the roof under the eaves. You really wouldn't see it that well from below, so I think it's a good idea, won't interfere with the design.

{{gwi:763271}}

{{gwi:763275}}

{{gwi:763279}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wanted to add that when the old house was taken down, it came down in pieces, it was in very bad shape; so Ben really couldn't restore the original, but reproduced the design very well. I was wishing that there was some piece no matter how small from the old one that I could incorporate into the new one, but I should have thought of that before.

• ianna
    13 years ago

how beautiful. My compliments to Ben. He is quite skillful

My thoughts about the old house, I was thinking that perhaps you could at least save the facade and recreate it as a bas relief wall art. Like framing at least the front entrance pieces. This way you could preserve something of your uncle's handiwork.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Wonderful result! I'm sure your Uncle would be very proud of you for doing this project. Please show us when it's in the garden.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I can't believe how beautiful the birdhouse is! You must be so thrilled. And inannas suggestion is a great one. What a awesome pics of work! I love it.

13 years ago

A double WOW from me, Ben's workmanship is outstanding, lucky you.

Annette

• gldno1
    13 years ago

That is a work of art!

Will it be painted? I would want it to last forever.
    Glenda

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    13 years ago

Oh how wonderful! You must be thrilled. I can't wait to see it installed.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it will be painted. See my above post - white/green trim or dark green with russet trim? Need some votes!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Holy cow! That is gorgeous!

When I think of the paint color I begin to think about looking up to the sky and seeing the birdhouse. You put it up on a fairly high pole right? So the sky will be the background? Or will it be trees? I wonder if one paint scheme would show up better than the other? It sounds silly, but I think of a bright blue sky, white sky, gray sky, or trees as background, etc...and then which color scheme would stand out or contrast more. What color is your house? Please don't laugh, but do birds prefer a particular color? All I can think of are the martin houses that are usually white.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The pole is waaaay up there, at least 14' or 16'. Just sky for a background now, and I don't know how birds feel about their nesting sites. Sparrows and starlings probably could care less! ha.

My house is white with a black standing seam roof. I'm leaning towards white with dark green trim myself; but if you look at the photo I posted of the old house on Nov. 13th, it almost looks like the siding of the house was a russet color with green trim. Then on other areas (which aren't in the pic) it looked like it may have been green with red trim.

You know my favorite color for outside is "Tinkertown Green",so I could trim it in that (w/white). Hmmmmm.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Would Ben like free room and board for a month in Texas?

Love it!
    White with green trim

13 years ago

Another vote for white with green trim.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

plantmaven - believe it or not, Ben said the roofing of the birdhouse could be delayed as he is taking a trip on Feb. 12 to Texas to see his great grandaughter get married! He told me the name of the city, but I forget; but I do remember he said it was "below Waco".

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

If I were a bird - I would LOVE to raise a family in this house! Absolutely wonderful!!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I came across a photo from March of last year, it gives a better idea of the height of the pole and also what would be in the background.

{{gwi:763283}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I meant May of last year.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

The new birdhouse is beautiful!

• natal
    13 years ago

What an outstanding job Ben did! Have fun deciding on colors!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!