Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Any garden items on your holiday wish lists?

Its that time of year when my dh starts asking what id like for Christmas , and ive forgotten from past summer things i wanted for my garden already! lol

Truthfully he has gotten me so much this year for my garden theres not too much left to ask for. Id love a gift card for bluestone or a rose supplier, or even a promise of sod removal! lol

So, whats on your wish list? Any neat tools or a new bench or bunny statue? Books? Just curious! :)

Comments (22)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Books - always books! DH always manages to find some really interesting ones, usually from a used bookstore where he picks up some interesting older books or from Timber Press - he gets their catalog and leaves it lying around for me to see and mark any I'm interested in.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

I need a handyman to do all the garden chores that I don't have the strength to do any more. There is so much cleaning, weeding, raking, bagging and hauling to do and I just can't keep up with it. In fact, I just want to sit on the porch swing and sip lemonade while my handyman toils under the hot sun and makes my garden beautiful for me. If I can't have a handyman, I would settle for a couple of hostages (everyone's getting them nowdays) to do the work. And If I can't get that, I guess I'd be happy with a gift card. Cheryl

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

On a trip to Kennebunkport, ME this summer I came upon a place that sold art as well as kinetic garden sculptures. They were to die for. But they were huge and very expensive. There was one that I just fell in love with as it moved in the wind. Like a windmill. Imagine my surprise when I found a pared down version of it in a catalog for an affordable price!! This is definitely going to makes its way into my garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kinetic sculpture

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Decorative bird bath top of the list. The old white plastic one my mom had for umpteen years finally gave up the ghost last weekend so I guess I asked for the right gift at the right time! More hardscaping is in order as well--an obelisk or two, another bench perhaps. I want to have places to sit, relax & contemplate when I go walkabout the garden next year.

Mother's Day gift from daughter:
    {{gwi:763495}}

Mother's Day gift from son:
    {{gwi:763496}}

• todancewithwolves
    13 years ago

My Christmas wish is - I would love for Santa to chop down my neighbors half dead pine tree. It blocks the sun from my veggie garden and it drops needles all over my yard. Does that count?

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

If Santa chops down that pine tree for you, then I want him to build an 8' tall stone wall between the neighbors and me. Not exactly in the Christmas spirit tho is it? ha.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I'd like to get a few books for Christmas and my birthday...especially the American Potager book by Jennifer Bartley. I believe she has a new book coming out, too :)

• Annie
    13 years ago

David Austin Eng. Roses and English Gardening books from the UK
    a donation made to the people of Haiti;
    a donation made to the local Humane Society.

Knowing that will never happen...I'd like a handyman like seamommy - only one who not only can help out with the gardens, but can do carpentry, wiring and some plumbing too. There are so many projects left unfinished around here and I cannot do that kind of work anymore, like fences that need repairing, the patio cover finished, repairs to trellises, repairing the chicken house and run area...things like that.

And barring that dream wish...(what a lark),
    how about someone to haul bricks and rocks here to the farm from my parent's old place;

or
    Someone to mow the family cemetery for me on a regular basis, who actually knows the difference between landscape maintenance and brush hogging. :(

Maybe two dump truck loads of that awesome black Kansas topsoil. :)

To have all my tools sharpened.

Repairs to the old Mantel clock - it got wound too tightly and then one of the cats knocked it off the mantel which cracked the glass cover.

Any one of these would be great for me.

sweetannie4u

• lily51
    13 years ago

I like finds from auctions, yards sales (none of these this time of year) and second hand stores as hardscaping in the garden. Of a gift card for stones for a walk or for a new tree would be lovely, also.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

A decent spring with no late frosts. I am starting a ton of veg from seed this year and don't want to repeat last year when I was scrambling to repot the rootbound plants cuz' I couldn't get them planted outside ;-(

If you were asking in my wildest dreams what I would want for a gift I would like Avondale nursery in the UK to ship their entire collection of Geum over to me. And if that was to excessive I would settle for a couple of those $120 Polygonatums or $350 double Hepaticas Asiatica nursery used to sell. And if I couldn't have THAT I wouldn't mind a trip to the Balkans to see the native Corydalis in bloom and maybe collect seed from a few (hey, dream big!) ;-)

-Gardenweed, I am in love with that owl!!! I think I saw it on the ws forum and meant to ask you where you got it. Do you know where your daughter got it from? He is adorable!!

-Susan, that Kinetic sculpture is neat. Would you put it in your back garden or somewhere else? I saw these amazing garden sculptures out of copper and metal. They don't give the price online, so I can only imagine how much these beauties are, lol! I am loving the double copper sunflowers: Seelodendron.com
    CMK

• todancewithwolves
    13 years ago

I'd really love one of those Travelocity Gnomes.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

this was so fun to read! I can see we all fantasize about someone else doing the hard parts for us! I really think this spring ill be sprlurging on someone to remove the sod for me because thats the thing i hate most.
    thy,me, that sculpture is really neat! Ive seen things like that at my fav garden centers display garden. And gardenweed, ive seen those owls before too and they are so darn cute! I love how theyre all different in little ways because of the rock variation.
    todancewithwolves, i think i saw those on qvc! lol

Hope everyone gets something from their wishlist!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

CMK - there's a place called The Growth Company in Enfield, CT where it's likely my daughter got the owl as they're one of her customers. She's an account exec/graphic designer for a newspaper. Another place that sells them is A.W.Brown Pet & Garden center in East Longmeadow, MA. Shipping something so heavy would probably cost more than the price of a compact car.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Thyme2dig
    That same sculpture is on my list. I also have a light system and another heater plus a standing fan for my greenhouse from megagreenhouse and some drip irrigation things from dripworks. In fact, most of what I want is for the garden...not too unusual.
    kay

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info gardenweed. LOL! Probably would be quite a lot to ship! Maybe I can find something similar on my next trip to seattle- their nurseries always seem to have some neat garden art.
    CMK

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Good luck & hope you find one CMK. My daughter handed me what appeared to be an oversized shoebox back on Mother's Day. If I'd dropped it, I would have broken my foot! It was SO HEAVY. I could NOT guess what could be in the box. Imagine my surprise!

• luckygal
    13 years ago

I hope Santa is very good to you all and brings you whatever garden gifts you want. I'd really like a garden helper/handyman but they are pretty scarce. I would also like a garden bench altho I might spend too much time just sitting and not gardening! ;-D I think those Travelocity gnomes are cute also and QVC does have them - link below.

There are not a lot of 'things' I need for my garden and I like to choose them myself so I'm not making garden gift suggestions to family. No longer buying gardening books. Would like a new birdbath to replace the cheap plastic one but I made the birds a glass totem birdbath and only the chipmunks use it. The birds seem to prefer the cheap plastic one that's elevated 6' high - I guess they feel safer there.

I buy a few garden decorations every year mostly at yard sales and have made more totems, etc. than my garden needs.

Mother's Day is when I get my garden goodies, not Christmas, as the plant nurseries have just opened here and my enthusiasm is high. Right now I'm hibernating just like my garden! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Travelocity gnome

• newskye
    13 years ago

Gardenweed I LOVE that owl!

As for me, I'd love some time to work in my garden! My babies don't give me much freetime these days :(

However, I bought myself a fork and trowel to replace my broken ones... in patchwork design :) Garden tools that are pretty. I'm happy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, I was going to say a sculpture of some sort, but then I read your post, Schoolhouse, and that is exactly what I would love! An 8' high stone wall around our property-with an old painted door leading into the yard.

• classytchr64
    13 years ago

Lilyfindch, just got an email saying that Heirloom Roses is having 15% off gift cards and free shipping for the gift cards. I ordered from them about 3 years ago, and those little band roses really took off! Hope all your wishes come true. Leslie

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

Gardening gloves are always on my list for the grandkids. I go through multiple pairs each summer. Something I can never have enough of! Seems like I wear out the fingertips, or they get so dirty from planting and weeding. Also could use a new pair of leather gloves this year for the roses as my old pair is about done for.

I know you asked for holiday wish list, but have to tell you what my daughter did last year for Mother's Day. She gave me a weekend of labor in the gardens. Came to visit and spent the entire weekend working with me in the gardens doing spring clean-up, mulching and planting. Priceless!!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

todancewithwolves, you might want to reconsider the gnome. Check out the link below.

My son bought we a stone owl for Mother's Day from our local garden center. We went shopping to pick something out for me and I fell in love with it.

I would love a shed for Christmas, but that isn't going to happen. I would love an arbor with roses climbing over it. I know just where I want it to go and how I would change the garden. However, I promised DH I would complete all the gardens I have started before I start something new. My son feels the need to keep reminding me of this whenever he sees me looking at garden catalogs or I get packages of seeds from exchanges on GW. I just tell him they are for the existing gardens. I don't think I have fooled him though.

Here is a link that might be useful: invasive pest

Sponsored