Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Leaf mulching time

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

Just finished shredding four bags of leaves for mulch, and is my back killing me. I put my wicker chair nearby and had to sit down after each bag was done! Makes me so mad.

But the leaves were nice and dry and shredded pretty good, only took me an hour or so. Now to haul the bags down to the shed for keeping. It's such a beautiful sunny day here I might as well spread some of it around later, as Friday the weatherman says we might get rain AND some snow.

Comments (12)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I got anxious and spread it on the flower beds. A bit early I suppose, but heck might as well get 'er done. I scattered some in the crescent bed since I pulled the salvia up the other day, should get the shovel and dig it under. Took some of the mulch down to the new trees I planted in the orchard.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Opposite situation here. We do the mulch for summer heat. Last year was an exception. We had the coldest days in almost 20 years.

We have yet to have a frost so no leaves. I sure hope my leaf man comes with bags this year.

• natal
    13 years ago

When the live oak drops its leaves in late February dh uses the bagging mower to chop 'em up a bit before I use them for mulch.

I hear you on the aching back. Sunday I dug out some indigo to plant a camellia and my back is still talking to me.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think my bad back comes from my lifting heavy objects so much over the years. The worst pain comes at night when I'm trying to sleep. Icey Hot creme and Bayer Back and Body aspirin help alot.

Last year I used my Lawnboy push mower with the bag, but the mower had some mechanical problems afterward. I think I went too fast and tried to run over too many leaves at a time. The shredder I use is one of those vacuum/shredder hand held models, you attach a bag to one end then sling it over your shoulder. Works well, but I have to empty the bag often.

Today I also spent about 45min. stooped over cleaning around the hollyhocks after shredding four more bags of leaves. Now you know I'm going to be hurtin' tonight.

• natal
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the Icey Hot and Bayer Back & Body aspirin! Hope you're not hurting too much!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Sit a spell and drink a hot toddy! :)

I'm lucky, we have two large Oak trees directly on the south side of the house, so the leaves blow over the house onto the flowerbed. So no mulching except for what's already there!

I love this time of the year, especially out in the country because we never rake the leaves in the yard unless it's for my grandson who likes to play in them. I love walking in leaves!

• natal
    13 years ago

Oakley, I decided to open a bottle of wine tonight. Usually that's reserved for weekends, but I figured it's close enough. ;)

• louisianagal
    13 years ago

Our leaf shredder wouldn't work when we tried it last weekend. I had scored 11 bags of leaves. My husband couldn't fix it (which is rare) and was sick anyway, altho willing to help me shred, but feeling too bad to take it to the shop to fix. So I was very disappointed becoz I love to shred and mulch with shredded leaves. Instead I am smothering some grass lasagna garden style so I just spread the leaves with dry grass clippings (over wet newspaper) and used it to create a new planting area. I have mulched around with pine straw instead, which I also like but I think the shredded leaves feed the soil just so well!
    Laurie

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So far I have eight bags done, woke up to find two more bags of leaves behind the house below my bedroom window (shredding spot). The little neighbor boys have been collecting leaves for me, I pay them so much a bag and they are thrilled every fall to get the chance to make some spending money. I suspect Mom is helping though. ha.

They were smart and got them to me before this wet and chilly weather began this morning.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

I don't really have enough leaves down yet to get going on the mulching but it's getting close. I'm still transplanting irises lol. I'm so slow, and I'm with you on the bad back. I get up in the morning and it is torture 101 around here. By noon I can usually move around.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I hear ya Natal. Some nights that's what we need to loosen those sore back muscles!

Schoolhouse, that is so sweet of you to give the little boys a chance to make some money. To them it would be a fun job!

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

Hi gardeners! So far, I have not yet made mulch out of my leaves...right now, they are just gathered in piles along the fence. (I love my lil electric leaf blower). There are still lots of trees around with all their leaves! in November! crazy. I may go ahead and mulch them tomorrow.

Today,
    -I cleaned up most of my flower pots with annuals, and put them in the garage.
    -I gathered up what I HOPE will be the last of the crabapples from the lawn.

-The biggest job today, though, was preparing half of the south wall against critters.
    In the past, I have had Mr and Mrs Mouse finding their way into my house.

I have also had years of generations of bunnies living under the deck.
    --------------------------------------------- (open space under deck) -->

The chicken wire is the ONLY thing that has worked. I blocked off access , a little at a time, to the under side of the house, until they were close to the gate to the front yard.

And this time of year is when I think they are trying to find a safe place for the winter. So I hand-raked the gravel away from the house, laid out fabric weed barrier, and added chicken wire with staples to half of the south wall.

I plan to finish that wall in the next day or two, before it really gets cold. Whew! I still have some other yard jobs this week- - cover some of the lawn furniture, and the A/C, and pull the last of the weeds, roll up the patio rug, unplug the pump from the fountain, and store it in the garage.

sigh! It makes me sad to shut down the back yard for winter! ):

Sponsored