Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

The payoff for surviving our horrid summer

plantmaven
12 years ago

A plant received at the fall swap. It is from africa and does not have a common name.

x Ruttyruspolia it sort of hangs like a weeping willow.

Copper Canyon daisy. This is one plant.

Hibiscus Mutabilis aka Confederate rose

Yellow Cestrum

Portmeirion rose

Sad rose garden

Canyon Creek Abelia...I dry the blooms.

Pink Gerbera I bought to support breast cancer

Fruit Cocktail shrimp plant and some ginger that has never bloomed.

shrimp plant closeup.

Comments (10)

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

The Canyon Creek abelia is new to me. Is it a plant that is readily available?

My Copper Canyon daisy has outdone itself this year also.
    It has more blooms than ever before.

The Port Meirion rose is so pretty. At first glance I thought it was going to be a picture of a Confederate Rose.

Those are all a nice "payoff."

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Thanks for brightening up my day, it's dull and dreary here :(. Love all your pretties especially your yellow Cestrum, is it fragrant?

Annette

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

soxx ~ I bought it at a local nursery. So I assume it is.

Annette ~ I can't bend down that far. lol

• Annie
    12 years ago

They are all just gorgeous!
    I want a start of your Canyon Daisy, please.
    That African flower looks like a Phlox - a "Weeping phlox"?

Someone on the Seed Exchange Forum sent me Confederate Rose seeds years back. Never got around to sowing them - gonna go dig them out and WS them. That is just beautiful!

Thanks for brightening my day with your lovely flowers (and the joke too) ;) ~Annie

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annie ~remind me in the spring to send cuttings to you. Maybe even a rooted piece, as it roots where it touches the ground. Also cuttings of the confederate rose, if you want.

k

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I've never seen most of the plants you posted. Very nice textures and colors.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I seem to be in a micro climate spot and can grow more semi tropicals than a lot of places in San Antonio.
    The x Ruttyruspolia and cestrum are new to me. They probably won't survive if we have another bad (for us)winter.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

So pretty! Everything is shutting down here, even the few hostas that actually still looked perfect two weeks ago are completely done now. Nighttime temps have done us in, I'm afraid. Some of the trees are hanging on with brilliant color, so not all is lost and I love the look of the fallen leaves. We are always the last ones to rake the front yard!

Anyway, maven, thanks for the lovely shots. I am glad you are being rewarded after the brutal summer!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

That abelia is gorgeous. I can't grow them up here. I didn't realize the flowers would dry well. Do they change color as they age like a lot of hydrangeas?

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thyme ~ the white flower dries up and they look very much like the center clump, only paler. So, I guess the answer is no, they really don't change colors.
    The abelia I had at another house had small flowers. I actually bought this one by accident. someone had one named rose creek. I could not remember the rose part, so when I saw one with the name creek I bought it.
    A friend was here a week ago to take rose and abelia cuttings. One of the nurseries near here has a program where they teach you how to do cutting and they keep your cutting in a shed that mists them every 20 minutes or so for about 6 weeks.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz