Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plays_in_dirt_dirt

larkspur ?

plays_in_dirt_dirt
13 years ago

I planted larkspur for the first time last year and just loved it. I saved quite a few seeds so I'd have some to winter sow, but now I wonder if that was necessary. I have larkspur volunteers so thick I can't even see the ground beneath them. Will they survive the winter and grow in spring? We haven't had a hard, killing frost yet. I'm in zone 7a, south central Virginia bordering the NC state line.

Thanks,

Barbara in Virginia

Comments (25)

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Larkspur always reseeds in the fall in my garden, stays green all winter and blooms the next early summer. I'm in zone 6b so I am sure it will survive in your zone.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, moss. I thought it might but needed assurance. Such a nice plant. I had some spotty rebloom but plan to cut it back next year for more. I'm getting braver at cutting back.

Barbara in Virginia

• frogview00
    13 years ago

Hi, PID

I'm below Danville in NC. I never touch my larkspur seeds. When pulling up the spent plants, I shake them over the garden to scatter the seeds. Mine have sprouted now.
    Jim

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

"I'm getting braver at cutting back."

My rules of thumb for cutting back is to at least leave a few leaves on evergreens like shasta daisy I cut those back about october. If it is something like a hollow stem, I tend to cut those back in the spring like victoria salvia. If it is something decideous I mow it in the fall like leadwort.

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

Hm. I just noticed today that I have a ton of larkspur seedlings. I wonder if they will overwinter here in zone 5???

• natal
    13 years ago

Lots of seedlings here too, but only because I saved seeds last spring and sowed them about a month ago. Can't wait till they're big enough to start transplanting.

• thinman
    13 years ago

Hey, Irene, I hope they do overwinter in Zone 5, because I have a bunch too. I know that conventional wisdom says to plant them in the spring in our zone, but I've had trouble getting larkspur going in the spring. I thought I'd try starting some this fall. I have lots of nice seedlings with their first pair of true leaves and I'm really hoping that they can make it through the winter. If we get an early snow that sticks and insulates the ground, I think they will have a shot. Good luck to both of us.

You folks in zones south of us should have it made.

ThinMan

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Larkspur seedlings survive the winter in my gardens even without any mulching. In the fall I also shake the dried up larkspur with seeds in areas where I want them next spring.

• token28001
    13 years ago

Overwinters here too. I've got gobs of seedlings out there. Poppies are starting to appear now. Nigella is up too.

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

This is promising...I've sprinkled them in the fall before, but I didn't remember seeing seedlings before spring...

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Goodness gracious; all of these larkspur growers..let's see your pictures of them..

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Well dang, should I sprinkle some seeds now in zone 7 NW Ga or is it to late? I have tried to grow some seeds in spring and they never do anything much but I am not a good one at remembering to water. I would love to have some because they are sooooo pretty. I, too would love to see some pics. Judy

• frogview00
    13 years ago

I played this year and separated the seeds. White for shade and blue for sun.

{{gwi:648062}}

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

If you plan to transplant seedlings, do it before they get above 2", as they have a very long taproot.

I would post a picture of last year's larkspur forest, but I am having trouble with photobucket.

• natal
    13 years ago

Plantmaven, thanks for the heads up! Putting it on my to-do list for next week.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If anyone wants seeds, email me from My Page. Mine are purple and mauve. I got them from Vera, who doesn't post much anymore.

So, plantmaven, you're saying I can transplant the seedlings now and they will survive for spring bloom? I have several areas I'd like to put some. Mine are below the 2" inch stage.

Barbara in Virginia

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Worth a try. I am much further south than you. Just keep them moist for a while, so the roots will continue to grow.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Frogview what is that tall wine colored flower in your second pictue?? Is it a lilly?? Very pretty and showy!!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Hey everyone, Just asking again, sorry to repeat so soon, but can I sprinkle some seeds now in zone 7 or is it to late?

Frogview your pic is gorgeous. I want to grow some real bad. Thanks, Judy

• frogview00
    13 years ago

Geez.....I thought people were going to show pics of larkspur.

CC, yes, lilies. Sadly, this garden was dismantled late summer succumbing to deer. I went as far as buying netting, then said it was crazy to go to such extremes. It is now lawn.
    sigh.........

Jim

• natal
    13 years ago

I planted two larkspur last fall. One died within a month or so. I'm guessing it's because of the long tap root like plantmaven said. I saved a bunch of seeds from the single plant that bloomed.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Blue Butterfly

winter sown 2008

{{gwi:339570}}

From plants tapped on the ground, seeds self sown Fall 2008
    Photo 2010
    {{gwi:415836}}

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

This spring I planted some pink larkspur wintersown 2009-10. I find that the ones I ws often grow sparsely the first year and fill out the next year. Pink ones did bloom this year but were short and sparse.

• frogview00
    13 years ago

I use the "generic" or species. Very prolific. I have never tried transplanting because of the tap root, but I always cull.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Transplant them on a rainy or cool overcast day. You will get more of the taproot and they will not go into shock as much if at all. Prop them up with a little twig or two.

It's a good time to sow many flower seeds:
    daisies, nigella, poppies, larkspur, foxgloves, delphiniums, Cups and Saucers, petunias, Sweet William, petunias, bachelor buttons, flax, mallows, stocks, pansies, nasturtiums, sweet allysum, and all perennials.

~Annie

Sponsored