Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last Garden Photo of The Year?

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 13:09

There's not much of interest left in the garden, but the lamb's ears are sill hanging in there.

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last Garden Photo of The Year?

So very pretty, I love Lamb's Ear. I used to have "Primrose Heron" but lost it, do you think I can find anyone still selling it up here, :(.

Annette

o

Very nice,..its a plant i must look out for.

Philip

o

I've lost all the lambs ear in my garden over the years. Now I know what I'm missing and must plant some again next year.

o

thinman - is that a species lamb's ear or a hybrid/cultivar? It's lovely, whatever it is.

A few years ago I switched from species S. byzantium to the more recent cultivar S. 'Helen Von Stein' and have been completely happy with its nearly year-round performance. Since it doesn't flower, it doesn't self-seed. After observing them the past few growing seasons, I note that all of the half dozen plants I've set in my garden beds, both in full & part sun, have retained their form & habit nearly 12 months of the year. Another happy observation is that they're apparently not bothered (so far) by pests of any sort.

o

Hi, Gardenweed. It is an S. Byzantium. I started a bunch of them from seed a couple of years ago. Your Helen Von Stein sounds like a winner. I'll have to see about getting some of those. Thanks for the idea.

TM

o

Grown Helene Von Stein for years, now. Sort of melts away with Winter, here, but is beautiful again each Spring. Never flowered in the 20+ years grown here. The space alternates between this plant and Arum italicum, so is always covered.
But my garden is colorful with colored bark dogwoods, winterberry shrubs, witch-hazel, camellias, mahonia, colored bark japanese maples, hellebores, and then Spring flowers. Color 12 months a year.

o

Bogturtle, your garden sounds great. Do you have any winter photos that you might share?

TM

o

Last Fall.
Mike

o

Taken 16.00 on 31st December - the last vestiges of Summer. Strange because the first primroses have opened in the window boxes and the February Gold daffodils are well up.

o

And another battered but hanging on. (Both pictures were taken in the garden).

o

Beautiful, Mike and Flora. I envy you both your long growing seasons. These are tough days for Michigan gardeners. :-)

TM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here