Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Last Garden Photo of The Year?

thinman
10 years ago

There's not much of interest left in the garden, but the lamb's ears are sill hanging in there.

ThinMan

Comments (11)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

So very pretty, I love Lamb's Ear. I used to have "Primrose Heron" but lost it, do you think I can find anyone still selling it up here, :(.

Annette

• User
    10 years ago

Very nice,..its a plant i must look out for.

Philip

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I've lost all the lambs ear in my garden over the years. Now I know what I'm missing and must plant some again next year.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

thinman - is that a species lamb's ear or a hybrid/cultivar? It's lovely, whatever it is.

A few years ago I switched from species S. byzantium to the more recent cultivar S. 'Helen Von Stein' and have been completely happy with its nearly year-round performance. Since it doesn't flower, it doesn't self-seed. After observing them the past few growing seasons, I note that all of the half dozen plants I've set in my garden beds, both in full & part sun, have retained their form & habit nearly 12 months of the year. Another happy observation is that they're apparently not bothered (so far) by pests of any sort.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Gardenweed. It is an S. Byzantium. I started a bunch of them from seed a couple of years ago. Your Helen Von Stein sounds like a winner. I'll have to see about getting some of those. Thanks for the idea.

TM

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

Grown Helene Von Stein for years, now. Sort of melts away with Winter, here, but is beautiful again each Spring. Never flowered in the 20+ years grown here. The space alternates between this plant and Arum italicum, so is always covered.
    But my garden is colorful with colored bark dogwoods, winterberry shrubs, witch-hazel, camellias, mahonia, colored bark japanese maples, hellebores, and then Spring flowers. Color 12 months a year.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bogturtle, your garden sounds great. Do you have any winter photos that you might share?

TM

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Last Fall.
    Mike

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Taken 16.00 on 31st December - the last vestiges of Summer. Strange because the first primroses have opened in the window boxes and the February Gold daffodils are well up.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

And another battered but hanging on. (Both pictures were taken in the garden).

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Mike and Flora. I envy you both your long growing seasons. These are tough days for Michigan gardeners. :-)

TM