Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

If only there was a....

There is one area of your garden that has been bothering you for some time. There is the right plant for this space, if only you could find it. You look in books, mags, and online for ideas but no luck. Next you start listing off all the qualities you want in the plant for this spot, like such and such height, color, bloom time, etc.

Then you shout out "I'VE GOT IT!!!". But wait...they don't even MAKE that flower in that color! The plant you want for there is ten times the size needed.

Ever find yourself wishing a plant bloomed in summer instead of spring? Or came a color other than what it normally does? Or was a different size/height?

A few weeks ago I had that happen. I was trying to figure out what would look good where the picket fence used to be. I wanted white variegated foliage (didn't want more dogwood though...), subtle blooms, tolerant of dry conditions, and slow growth. What fit the bill perfectly was a smokebush (have the purple one out back and love it). But unfortunantly there is no such thing as a variegated one ;-( Then I have also had some pretty wild dreams of five foot perennial geraniums, but nothing like that exists that I know of, lol!

Do you guys ever find yourself in a similar position?

CMK

Comments (13)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Not often, but the "perfect small specimen tree" for the courtyard still eludes me. I would love the opposite of "slow growth" tho along the property line. :)

I was going to suggest variegated hydrangea for your new hedge row, but those probably need more moisture? I don't grow them enough to know. Do you want it to keep its leaves?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I had that problem with the fairy garden. Lilacs and fruit trees were just too big, but I wamted something behind the roses...that would keep the deer out.

Then, I decided to move the butterfly bushes from the corners of the kitchen garden, to make room for my fence next spring. No place to put them, but behind the fairy garden...and it looks great! I hope they all make it through the winter, because they're like summer lilacs...and such a pretty shade of purple! :)

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

It seems like I frequently wish for plants that don't actually exist. ;) I think it is a talent.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to hear I am not the only who designs plants in their head...lol.

-Christine, that is a good suggestion, but I think you are right that the spot may be to dry. There is a lilac with variegated foliage, but I am not sure the var. is bold enough for the spot.

Would something like a dwarf flowering dogwood work for your courtyard?
    CMK

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Yes!!! I would like a white coreopsis , a rose tree that didnt need to be buried ( i dont get why they cant graft onto something hardy!) , and ill keep thinking! theres also some plants i would love if they were hardy to our zone.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

There is a variegated green and white Japanese maple.

• dawiff
    13 years ago

I haven't yet had that happen to me, that I wanted a certain plant with certain characteristics that didn't exist.

All the documentation on Geranium 'Splish Splash' says it grows to 30 inches. However, I saw one in a friend's garden in England that was nearly five feet.

• chouchou_gw
    13 years ago

I like to believe I'll always find the perfect plant for a spot if I just keep searching. I spend a lot of time searching!!

Fallopia japonica variegata would fit your spot quite nicely. I grow it and it is well behaved, subtle creamy flowers late in the season, beautifully variegated foliage, gets no extra watering from me. Seems to do well in sun or part shade. Also, geranium psilostemon while not variegated is a very tall perennial geranium.

Original Author
    13 years ago

-lilyfinch, found you a white tickseed! ;-) Coreopsis verticillata 'Alba'

-dawiff, I don't doubt that they grow so big over there!! I recently saw a picture of G. pratense 'Summer Skies' on a uk site and the thing was incredible- had to have been over four feet tall! Think that might have been what is called a 'knock your socks off' moment for me, Lol.

-chouchou, funny you should mention that. I saw a pic of that variegated Fallopia the other day and fell in love with the coloration. Too bad I am scared to death of Fallopia, LOL! The neighbor that used to live next door had a terrible time with it (F. japonica, not the variegated sort though) creeping over from the next house. She poured gallons of RoundUp on it and even arsenic at one time and nothing would work! I think I would be afraid a all green shoot would pop up from the variegated one and start to take over. Ever find any all-green shoots on your plant?
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

How big a spot do you have for this plant? What are you leaning towards, perennial, shrub or small tree? Variegated weigleas are pretty in and out of bloom.

Annette

• chouchou_gw
    13 years ago

CMK,

I have never found a green shoot on my fallopia and I have been growing this particular plant for over seven years I'd guess. It has remained just a nice clump all this time. I'm pretty happy with it. But who knows how it will behave in another garden.

Original Author
    13 years ago

-Chouchou, thanks much for the extra info on the fallopia. Not sure I would have the courage to plant it in the ground, but maybe it is worth growing in a large container. Such gorgeous foliage on it...

The space I have needs something fairly tall, around seven feet with a width four or five. Uh oh, now I am dreaming of a variegated Eupatorium maculatum for the spot, lol!
    CMK

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

CMK, how about that!!! I had no idea there was a white one. I planned on ordering some plants from them anyway, so how perfect!!! thanks!

Sponsored