Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

Loving winter weather

todancewithwolves
13 years ago

Christmas lights all around the picket fence looks glorius at night.

Frost in the garden.

Bird feeder active with the migrating finches.

The local woodpecker is loving the suet along with the noisy blue jays.

Sweet pea's beginning to break ground.

Mason bee house full of babies.

All of this puts a smile on my face.

What say you? What do you love about winter?

Comments (6)

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Good description of winter where you are, Edna.

I have no winter here, however, so cannot say what I love :-(

Take care, girl friend.

Xuan

• luckygal
    13 years ago

TDwW, any chance of some pretty pics? :-)

I adore winter also but for very different reasons.

First, I get to have a break from all the work of gardening while looking out at my garden all 'decorated' with pretty white stuff.

{{gwi:763884}}

If I look out another window I can see this. I never tire of these views and changing seasons.

{{gwi:763886}}

Sometimes I can see a lone coyote walking across my land. Approximately in the center of the pic there is a coyote. Took this pic out my breakfast room window. Wish I could have gotten a pic of the one we saw the other day as he was much closer to the house. We're watching the dog very closely whenever she goes out. She'd be a tasty snack.

{{gwi:763887}}

Channeling my inner child I can always make a snow angel. ;-D

{{gwi:763889}}

My outdoor tree is so pretty covered with snow. DH just cut a little tree from our land and put it in my old wheelbarrow.

{{gwi:199042}}

I also like winter because the cold makes it difficult for many insects to survive here so there are very few that bother my plants. It also means the bear is likely hibernating. We have seen cougar tracks recently and they don't hibernate so we're still cautious.

The other advantage of snow is that it will be moisture for my garden and will fill the lakes in the spring which means that the cycle of nature will work the way it's meant to.

When I used to ski fresh snow was very welcome. We could cross-country right out the door.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

What lovely pics! I wish i could agree the same, but here in pittsburgh it is generally cold and grey, rainy and not pleasant at all. Windy! Bleh. When it does snow its never much (ok, last year was the exception) and it turns slushy and mucky quick. enough of that depressing vision...
    Lucky gal, i love that wheelbarrel pic!

Todancewith wolves, can you explain your mason bee house? Ive seen them in garden catalogs and was curious about it. I also enjoy all the birds in the winter. I still havent seen my mockingbird return yet., i like the little guy alot.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Xuan!!! Ladies, I had the pleasure of going to Vietnam in July and seeing Miss Xuan's most beautiful garden! Simply a slice of heaven. Ask her for pictures of her HUGE pond and gorgeous backyard. I miss you Xuan! I'll post them in the next day or so.

No pictures of my garden as of late.

The mason bee house is awesome! Build one and they will come. I've attached a link for instructions below. Here's mine but it's from 3 years ago. All the holes are full and I built another.
    {{gwi:495244}}

Here is a link that might be useful: NWF - Mason Bee House

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LuckyGal, lovely winter photo's. Truly a winter wonderland.

• Eduarda
    13 years ago

I love having the robins back in the garden! I only see them here once Fall starts and they hang around until Spring, then disappear - I assume they migrate North?

Hollies and firethorn loaded with berries. Planting red pansies and cyclamen for a Christmas look in the garden. Decorating the porches with a Christmas/Winter theme. And yes, lights as well.

The birdbath keeps having lots of use. Some birds overnight under the eaves of our front porch. Evergreens come into its own, the red twig dogwoods look beautiful against them. Mahonia beginning to bloom. Moonlight will be at its best when January and clear nights come. Looking at the garden outside while keeping warm inside by the fireplace, with soft music and a good book.

Eduarda

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus