Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Ideas for keeping traffic, out of yard

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I need some creative ideas to keep traffic, out of our yard. Saturday night, a 22 year-old 'man' with no insurance, doing about 70 mph up our road...took a hard left (best guess is he was fighting with wife, coming from the bar) and hit both of our vehicles and then crashed into our house. It demolished our porch and did structural damage to the bay window. Luckily, no one was hurt.

We do not live on a curve and never imagined anything like this would happen. We're at least 80' to 100' from the road and we want to make sure this never happens again! So, we're trying to come up with creative ideas that will keep traffic on the road...and not in our yard.

So far, our best idea seems to be 8' railroad ties, buried on end about 4' down and placed about 4' to 5' apart. This should slow them down, at the very least. We thought the best place to put them, would be along our driveway, on the road side. Our driveway/pull in is parallel (more or less) with the road and curves down into our yard.

Any other ideas? I don't really care how it looks, since this 'in between' area of the yard is on a hill and we let the weeds/natural vegetation grow there, anyway...along with daffodils and other plants that have naturalized, over time. We can't do much now, but hope to get something in, this spring. Thanks in advance :)

Here are a few pictures. They don't show the worst of the damage, but my husband didn't want to put anything on the internet that showed our license plates or address numbers.

My poor blazer (which I love) is all done and hit our other vehicle, when it was hit by their truck. Although they had no insurance, we had uninsured motorist on our insurance, thank goodness.
{{gwi:764047}}From Truck hitting my house

This used to be my front porch...
{{gwi:764050}}From Truck hitting my house

And this shows how much the porch was knocked over, by the impact. Here's a picture of my arch and little rose, I took on Saturday for Gardenweb post...
{{gwi:324261}}From Truck hitting my house

And here's the porch, the next morning. Notice that the railing is now past the green trim and resting against the bay window.
{{gwi:324262}}From Truck hitting my house

Comments (14)

• auntyara
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OMG!!!
    I'm so glad no one was hurt. That's just crazy.
    I hope he goes to prison.
    Drunk Drivers Kill people!!!
    I'm so sorry this @$#%^! did this to your property.
    He was probably trying to kill himself and her at the way he was driving 70 mph a straight away and made such a sharp drastic turn.
    I'm so disgusted!
    I would want to put up a huge strong barricade too.
    He didn't just destroy your property, he destroyed your peace of mind.
    Maybe you could get a few strategically place boulders.
    I've seen some with beautiful garden around them.
    Best wish Lavender, and I hope everything settles down soon.
    ((hugs))
    :) Laura

• Cher
    12 years ago

You are fortunate that the vehicles cut down the path or you could have had him parked in your house by the time he stopped. Very sad what others do.

The boulders were my first thought, but can be very expensive. The problem with the timbers is a vehicle would go through one of those also. Large trees will take some years to be big enough to stop a vehicle, but probably the direction I would lean towards, looking for fast growing ones. Glad no one was hurt.
    Cher

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Maybe some 50 gallon barrels filled with concrete, with a fence in front.

Here is a link that might be useful: barricades

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

lavender_lass - so very, very sorry you sustained all that damage, not to mention the inconvenience of filing accident/damage reports to police, insurance, etc. The headaches from the recent devastating storm here in CT are never-ending but at least I don't have to deal with the police and/or courts for restitution.

My only suggestion is boulders or concrete barriers which you darned-well shouldn't have to place between your property and the road but it's certainly understandable if you decide a 10 ft. wide/high concrete barricade is the only thing that would prevent such an incident from happening again.

How the h*ll did they register a vehicle with no auto insurance?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Large rocks/boulders placed strategically and landscaped around would work and also be much prettier than railroad ties which actually might not stop a speeding car.

I am SO sorry you had to experience this. No fun.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Here in TX "they" cancel their insurance after registration.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh...I had a barn kitten in my heating duct...staring up at me this afternoon, meowing to get out. Literally, in the floor of my living room, staring at me through the heating register. This is crazy!

My husband and his friend managed to seal up the heating duct, after we got the kitten out. I so need to get these repairs started! Hopefully, we'll get something from the insurance company (who have been great BTW) and can start repairs by Monday. What a mess...all you can do is laugh or cry, so we're trying to laugh.

Thank you all for the kind words and the great ideas for the yard. I'll let you know how things go this weekend :)

Of course, now it's snowing, again!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad no one was hurt!

I like the boulder idea. Less work than the railroad ties, too, I suspect. Space them 3-4 feet apart and a car can't get through. It could look really handsome. I know you are more interested in safety than looks, but you might as well get both if possible.

Rosefolly

• jocl
    12 years ago

Whatever you decide for a barrier make sure it's outside the highway ROW which I GUESS is just under 25 ft. from the centerline of the road.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Boulders? Ya don't wanna kill'm. Just slow'em down. lol How about a row of tall shrubs instead. That would be prettier anyway. And I think you can possibly be sued if you intentionally put up a dangerous barrier, although hopefully, it will never happen again.

Glad you're ok. I was just looking at how you can see the back of your sofa through the front window and can imagine the outcome would've been much worse if he'd hit there when there were people sitting on that couch. My knees would've been weak seeing what happened.

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

It was surely a shocking accident but undoubtedly just a one-off.
    I wouldn't do anything more than get the mess cleaned up and thank heavens that no-one was hurt...

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

LL! I'm so glad you arn't hurt. It is wonderful you guys are keeping a positive outlook on this- I would have been hopping mad! I agree with adriennemb, this is likely a once in a lifetime occurence.

I can understand wanting to do something about it for the future though, even if it is only for your own peace of mind. Boulders would be good, or even making a few pillars out of cinder blocks. I saw someone do that and it honestly didn't look too bad. Might be cheaper doing something like that (you can do yourself) than have a rock placing company come with boulders. Not sure, but I imagine that can be a lot.

SO GLAD you are safe and unharmed LL! You take care...
    *HUGS*
    CMK

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for the kind words of support and ideas. It may be a once in a lifetime hit, but I would NEVER have thought we'd be hit even once, so who knows?

Well, no kitties in the vents today...so far. :)

No, boulders would be too hard to bring in and we don't want to hurt anyone...just slow them down. I thought about shrubs, but I don't think it would have even slowed them down, unless they were really BIG shrubs.

I've really been wanting to put a fence in the front yard, but it's a challenge because we have to leave huge entrances, to bring in vehicles, not to mention leave repair access for the well. So, my husband has agreed that a fence might be a good idea, with those big metal/livestock gates on each end, so that we can still open up access for back hoes, trucks, etc. Living out in the country, with well and septic is so different from living in town! LOL

While the fence will probably be metal posts and lattice, I would like to put some big posts on the inside of the fence, with chain swags between...to grow roses on. Even before all this happened, I thought it would be one of the few ways I could grow climbing roses, with the deer in the yard. This way I could add flowers and herbs they don't like, to keep them away from the roses. Maybe New Dawn...no one wants to chew on those thorns!

Still snowing, but it's covering up the debris...so at least it looks better! I'm going to go plan my new garden spaces and draw up some new porch plans. It will be a big mess for a while, but it will look nicer, this spring. Trying to think big picture!

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

Good grief, LavenderLass! What a story! Well, in our New England experience, wood, trees (unless 100 years old), bushes, fences and suchlike don't stop fast cars. We live on a corner and we found a local man who put up a dry stone wall (no mortar, just carefully laid local rock) as a barrier. Nobody's hit it yet, and I hope never does. But the mass of stone is a better stopper than any other material, other than a big ugly concrete wall, which would look terrible.

I don't know why you can't get a company that sells and delivers large rocks, to bring in a line of them. Maybe you can then have a local rock wall person come in with smaller rocks and build a nice wall incorporating the big boulders.

Carol

Sponsored