Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

OT I'm Getting a Shed!!

organic_kitten
13 years ago

I am really excited! Today, we ordered an 10X12 foot wooden shed to be delivered and set up in a week or so.

That means I can store my tools, fertilizers, sprayers, sprays, Bird Houses and garden statues (off season) etc. I can actually use the greenhouse as a greenhouse, not an all in one!

I am doing the happy dance!

kay

Comments (20)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Whoo Hoo for you, you are a gal after my own heart. I fully understand the excitement you are feeling, like the christmas I was so excited to find my husband had bought me a wonderful little rabbiting spade, my excitement was not understood by many of my friends, I'm sure they were whispering amongst themselves... poor thing she got a shovel for christmas LOL.

Annette

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Annette,
    Yes, a non-gardener can't understand. I did not expact this right now which makes it even better.
    kay

• thinman
    13 years ago

Oh, yeah! You have to have a shed. A 10 x 12 sounds like a dandy size and I'm sure you'll be loving it.

ThinMan

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Every girl needs a shed, ya gotta have a place to keep your stuff. You can't just leave pots sitting out year round!

I keep my potting bench in my shed to protect it from weathering. My dad made it from old wood siding several years before he passed away and I treasure it. And it's nice having it in the shed where I also have a stool to sit on and all my shelves behind me. I can sit in there and make plans, sort seeds and pots, or just hide out for fun. It smells like dirt and I kinda like that.

My shed is only 8' x 8', but I have a 40 gallon barrel of potting soil, the potting bench, a small steel cabinet for storing chemicals, and shelves for stacking stuff. It's not much to look at, they'll never put a pic of it on the front of a gardening magazine, but I love it.

The best thing about it is that I had electricity run out there this year and now I don't have to stop working just because it gets dark outside. Next I'm going to rework the double doors, install sidelights and build a screen door so I can keep out the bees and skeeters. Also I don't want birds nesting in it because sometimes they abandon their nest if I go in too often.

Kay, right now it's just a 10' x 12' shed, but in a year it'll be a haven where you can immerse yourself in gardening. Cheryl

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

I'm getting one soon too, but I have to get a foundation poured first. I got free cooler panels so I'll have a walk-in fridge too!

I'm insanely excited about it!!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks you thinman, I am excited.
    Cheryl and backyard, I always wanted a playhouse, and now I'm getting one. I will have to have a potting bench there, Cheryl, you are so right.

I am building boxes to hold my big sprayers and planning a long shelf with holes bored to hold my birdhouses during the winter. That way, I can clean and refurbish them in the shed during winter, then put them back out at the beginning of spring.

My alfalfa, fertilizer, potting soil, and other additives are in great big tubs in the greenhouse. They will also be in the shed. I plan to hang pegboard to hold the tools, Oh Wow! I am out of control excited!!!
    kay

• iris_9
    13 years ago

Oh, I am so envious! I have wanted a shed for so long...almost had my husband talked into getting me one for Christmas last year but then we had a disagreement about its location so we are at an impasse. I told him I had read that you are not a real gardener until you have a compost bin and a potting shed...he said "well, you have three compost bins so that makes you a real gardener"...no, I still NEED the potting shed! Anyway, congrats, and please post a pic when you get yours!

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

WHOHOOO- I am so excited for you! I would probably never be found in the house if I had one that big- LOL

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beth,
    It is supposed to be here early next week. You will have to come by and see it.
    kay

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Kay- Congratulations! My mom loves her shed, so I'm sure you're going to be spending lots of time out there, with plenty of space to store all your important tools, etc. Plus, you have a greenhouse? There will be no limit to what you can do, now :)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I hope you intend to show us a picture of it!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

A shed and a greenhouse?! I have a feeling the housework is going to suffer!! LOL!! Congratulations! That is such a great size too.

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

I think you will LOVE your new shed. We got one this summer. We ordered it at Home Depot from Sheds USA. They came and assembled it in 3 hours! Here's a picture of DH standing in front of the newly painted and assembled shed!

From June 11 2010

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Mazel Tov on the new arrival ;-)

Does it come painted, or will you be able to have fun picking out colors etc? Where exactly will it be in your yard? Are there flower beds around this spot, or does adding a shed mean you can make some new ones around it?!
    Congrats! Make sure to post a pic when it comes...
    CMK

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woodyoak, As soon as the shed is seated, I will take a picture and post it.

Trust me, thyme2dig, the housework already takes a backseat to the garden. I have been cleaning this week (for a change) but I'm almost done. DH does the vacuuming and the dishes since he is retired.

ghoghunter, Your shed is very nice. I know you are enjoying it.

christinmk, I will be able to plant around it. (Very sneaky, huh?) It will probably have a lot of roses since it will be near the new rose garden...and I already have a few new roses coming this year.

To all of you who have written: I really do appreciate your notes. I am contemplating retiring near the end of 2011, so I want to have all my "toys" ready to play then.
    kay

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I am very excited for you too! It sounds like you have it all planned out. Since we haven't heard yet of its arrival, I assume you are too busy playing in your shed to post a picture :)

I would love to have a shed. DH keeps asking if there isn't more I could get rid of in the garage. I try, but as soon as I get rid of something, I end up needing it. It happened today.

Sunday I am going to lunch at a friend's home She's a teacher who just retired and she had a shed built that looks like a little red schoolhouse. I can't wait to see it.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse,
    The shed had to be built, and it is supposed to be delivered "by Wednesday"! I am not patient about that sort of thing, and since I will be fairly occupied cooking for Thanksgiving, it will be next week before I can really start to move in. I will surely posta picture of it when it (finally) gets here. Thank you for asking,
    kay

• lily51
    13 years ago

What is it about a garden shed that speaks to our hearts?

So happy for you, it will be all you think it will and more!

After many,many years, we built a shed in 2009. I love it.
    One neighbor says it's always a risk when she drives by the house,as she might go off the road due to staring at the garden shed.

Enjoy!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

lily - now we need to see a picture of your shed too!

• lily51
    13 years ago

I would love to post pictures, but haven't mastered the skill yet. Even had one of my daughters out to try with no success,and she's your average tech 30 year old with facebook, twitter, etc. Maybe it's my computer. couldn't be the operator. I'll keep trying.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm