Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tishtoshnm

Mourning the loss-High Country Gardens

I mainly lurk here but my favorite source for my garden is closing. High Country Gardens is going out of business.

Comments (14)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a link to the news article which for some reason I was not able to post in the original.

Here is a link that might be useful: News Article confirming it

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Oh, that's a shame! They had wonderful, interesting plants. Do you know if he's retiring, or did the economic downturn 'do him in'? The link only had the first two paragraphs of the story.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I am sorry to see them go. I aiways appreciated the unusual varieties that I could get from them. It must be heartbreaking to have to close a business like a specialty nursery after so many years.

• User
    11 years ago

strange..I looked on their website and it says very clearly that they will be accepting orders for the Spring 2013. It says they are closing early this year but nothing about going out of business. Wonder what is going on ? c

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My guess is that the website has not been updated yet. The article was in the Albuquerque paper. He noted that it was a combination of the troubled real estate market, several years of drought, and when we had fires again this year, that also slowed business tremendously. He also noted the competition from places like Home Depot and Lowes. They closed much earlier than normal this fall, even shutting down orders whereas last year, one was able to order Christmas gifts from them. It is definitely sad to lose such a resource.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Yes, this is very sad. We need to patronize those that are still open in hopes that they can survive this mess.

• loganlady
    11 years ago

A huge sad loss for us all.

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I loved looking through their catalog, a wonderful source of information but never ordered anything simply because of our climactic differences.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

There is now a notice on the web site that they are planning to continue as a mail-order only source. I am glad to see this since they are the only source for some of their plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens

• Annie
    11 years ago

That is good news indeed.
    Thanks Hon.

• onederw
    11 years ago

Fantastic. I've been contemplating redoing my parkway area (AKA hell strip). They had some of the best ideas anywhere, and of course I hadn't saved a catalogue to remember what they'd used.

Kay

• luvgardening_ma
    11 years ago

I pre-ordered a few things from them today. Ship date of April 15. Right now 20% off if you order before the 20th with a code given at their website. I've always had good luck with their plants and am glad they are still doing the mail order. As usual. I have big plans for my garden ;)

Marlene

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update, Marlene.

• plantladyco
    11 years ago

FYI...they are now owned by American Meadows.

Sponsored