Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
July Pictures

Posted by reginaz 5/6NY (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 16:02

I'm a little late posting these. Maybe not as rich as the June pictures but I love this time of year in the garden with all the yellows, oranges and purples.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: July Pictures

Regina! This is all so wonderful! I have to say that I often like to see garden pics around this time of year the best. With everything so bleak outside it is nice to get a look at green and growing plants again!

My favorite pic is #3. Perfect composition! The colors are great too- in July my garden looks so garish. Your Filipendula is a stunner. OH! WHAT is the name of that fab lily? And the Malva?

This has been such a treat, thank you for sharing!
CMK

o

Regina, as always, stunning!!! A great break from dull November. I have that malva, I believe - Malva sylvestris ssp. mauritiana.

Thanks for sharing. Nancy.

o

Regina, what a gift to see your amazing garden! Perfect timing! Thank you so much!!

o

Very beautiful! I love those yelow,,,is it yarrow in the first picture or queen annes lace or....?
tanya

o

Oh my, you really have the touch. I wish I had that at my house, but I know I wouldn't take care of it so well. That raised bed with the stone is beautiful and just might be a project for next year.

o

Thanks..I needed that. What a nice fix...here in Michigan everything looks gray & bleak right now, so thank you for the pick-me-up

o

Regina, what an abundance of riches!

It is just spectacular. The lily is spectacular. I am wondering which it is too.

o

Thanks everyone, I love looking at summer photos this time of year. When I am in the middle of the garden season, I tend to see things with a critical eye but when I look back at the pictures it's more fondly.
CMK-I've been trying to find the name of that lily in my journal, after all, that's why I keep a journal. They are a trumpet lily that I planted in 1994. I started out with 3 and they have more that doubled to 7. The name I wrote in the journal was Thunderbolt. The malva was correctly identified by Nancy. I start some every year by seed. Some winter over and others die from the dreaded RUST.
tanya, the yellow flower is yarrow. It has been in my garden at least 20 years.

o

Regina - good to know about the rust - this is my first year for the malva.

Nancy.

o

How lovely! I hope to see more people post forgotten summer pictures, this winter is just getting started and im hating it already! I can almost smell that clump of agastache! And the garden around the birdbath is so beautiful. Thank you for brightening my day!

o

So pretty and just what is needed now and every month throughout winter to keep us all going!

o

I wish I was there right now, both in Regina's garden AND in July, LOL!

o

Count me as one of your fans. I love your gardens, so full of beauty and color. You have a nice layout with the lawns and birdbath and paths.

Is that a pergola (tunnel) or an arbor? If a pergola, I would love to see photos of it now without all the foliage to see what the structure looks like. You could start a new thread if you prefer. It always makes such a cottagey backdrop with those colorful blooms. DH is going to build me one, but I need to come up with a design first.

I have that same malva and just love it! Blooms all year with such a nice color. It reseeds, but not aggressively like zebrina.

o

• Posted by patann Z5 AnnArborMI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 23:13

Gorgeous gardens. Please do not stop showing summer pictures as we go into another deep freeze. They absolutely warm hearts and spirtis!! I for one am going to mark this post to come back to and back to and back to . . . . . Thank you.

o

Again thanks. Brenda, it is a pergola, 32ft.long and over 9ft.tall. Right now it is covered in so many rose branches that it is really hard to see the design so here are some early pictures that might help. My husband built it by himself in sections.
If you want more pictures or anything else, just let me know. Regina

o

Thanks Regina! That is very similar to what I have in mind. Now that you have enjoyed it for a few years, is there anything you would do differently, anything that you would suggest that I be aware of? (like taller, wider, different wood thicknesses, paint/no paint, etc.) I like to overanalyze things before I build them, because DH does not make changes to completed projects :-)

Those pictures are very helpful in letting me visualize it.

o

Stunning!
Can you please tell me what kind of bee balm that is? I can't find a decent, beautiful rich purple like yours.
Everything works together like a concert. I love it!

o

My pergola was built over what was a path to another part of the yard so it is only 6ft wide. If you wanted to have benches under it, it would have to be wider. All the wood is cedar and the main posts are 6"x6"x10'. I painted mine when it was first built but now with all the rose canes on it, it's impossible to re-paint. It has faded to a soft grey-green. Some of the arbors that I have are just left natural. Like you, I thought about every detail and got as much information as I could, so I knew exactly what I wanted before my husband built it. I am happy with the results. Good luck on you project. Regina

girlgroupgirl- I am sorry but I do not know the name of that monarda because my journal from that period was left out in the rain and is un-readable. I will be happy dig some up in the spring and send it to you so let me know. Regina

o

Regina, id love to see a picture of the pergola covered in roses, they are my latest love interest! What a gorgeous yard. keep showing it off!!!

o

lilyfinch-go back to the page before this, scroll down to "search" and type in my user name reginaz. All my pictures will come up. Enjoy! Regina

o

Each time I view pics of other people's flower gardens, it really pumps me up my spirits. While I recognize a lot of the flowers in your gardens, and I am asking for myself as well as others who might be shy about asking..please list the names of the plants in each picture. I know that I have viewed some garden picture that allows one to move the mouse over the picture and it will tell you what the name of the flower/plant is.Is this a software that does that or just a savy computer person? Anna(aka flowergardengirl)has that on her blog. It is such a big help to her viewer/fans.

o

Stunning pictures; keep 'em coming! It gives us newbies to WS lots of ideas of what our flower gardens can look like. Lots of great ideas even if one doesn't have the vast amount of land.

o

I also would like to know which Monarda that is..beautiful. Maybe if you can't remember, somebody else will be able to identify it. In photo#4, there's a pretty purple flower down at the bottom of the picture.. Do you know what that is? It's the picture before all the BES or Rudbeckias. I thought at first it looked like cransbill but a second look at it, I don't believe it is. That Malva..oh is that a beauty! The low growing plant in the picture with the red daylilies..rockcrest or purple or red alyssum?

o

Sorry that I took so long to answer your questions. I've been so busy preparing for the holidays but gardening is never far from my mind, so I often check back here. I don't have the program you are talking about but I don't think I would use it if I did have it. If you scroll up and read some of my answers, I mentioned some of the flowers you asked about. As for the others, the purple flowers in photo#4 are Stokesia laevis "Honeysong Purple" sometimes called Stokes Aster. The low growing plant by the red day lily are Thymus serpyllum "Coccineum" or creeping thyme.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here