Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

The Vicotorian Garden series videos...

schoolhouse_gw
15 years ago

from Amazon UK - I just sent for them! No, I didn't get a code-free DVD player yet; but I wanted them so badly that I can wait for that. The confirmation email says my order should be here between Nov.18 - 24. I'm happy!

Comments (17)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Great, keep us posted. I've been looking at what's available in the UK and what's available here. I'm thinking of getting a code free DVD player :o).

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have some friends helping me locate a CF DVD player(!) Yes, I'll keep everybody posted.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Friend just told me I can buy a CF player at WalMart. Maybe I'll go check them out tomorrow just for the heck of it; or maybe if a person went to their online web site you could find out how much they sell them for.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

oooh, let me know - I might ask for the Dvd for Xmas!!!

Nancy.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did some research. The Region Free DVD players seem to be available so far only at Wal Marts in Canada, not here in the USA. But, a person can buy a DVD Player at a Wal Mart here and "hack" it somehow in order to play DVDs that are not Region 1 (us). I don't want to mess with that. If my SO was still alive, he would enjoy the challenge - he loved electronics. I found quite a few Region Free players on different web sites, and they aren't that expensive; but I'd still want an opinion from somebody who really knows the stuff before I'd buy one.

So, maybe you could go to your local Wal Mart and check them out, Nancy. If it's true that they sell them, I just might make a road trip! ha.

15 years ago

DVD players are cheap enough, can you buy one and set it to play region 2? I seem to think when you're doing the initial setup it asked which region on some players, could be wrong on this point. I don't know. Anyway I bit the bullet and ordered the Victorian Garden series tonight. DH said to go for it he's going to look into the technical side of it, he likes to play around with stuff like this.
    The cost of the DVD's is less then a dinner out sooooo, if it doesn't work I'll just chock it up to having payed for a bad meal LOL.
    I'll go out to our Wal Mart next week and see what they have to offer. If this works there's so many more DVD's I'd like to order from the UK that aren't available over here.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annette - my set arrived in the mailbox today!

15 years ago

schoolhouse, my set should arrive sometime after the 18th. We went out looking for region free DVD players today nothing available around here, went to WalMart they had a cheap pal recorder but my experience with the cheapies is mega skipping on DVD's and they didn't know if it was region free. Sooooo DH is going to play around with it on the computer :o). Apparently you can buy lots of region free DVD players on ebay. I'll let you know how we make out with ours.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a site that sells RF DVD players. I can't post it here, but I'll email you off board. Also, somebody sent me a link to some software that you can download off the internet for your computer, making it able to play all region DVDs. It's called "Handbar" software. Maybe your DH could check it out and see what he thinks of it. I'm not sure I could download it and install it without messing something up. I'll send that link, too.

• moonphase
    15 years ago

I have been off line way too long and I don't have a clue what region 2 dvds are what are you all doing here and why does this series take a special dvd?Help and please inform me.Sounds interesting to me.What am I missing here?
    moonphase

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

All is revealed here, moonphase.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cottage/msg10191101488.html

or search this forum for Victorian Garden

libby

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps we should be in the Conversations forum; but - Annette, I've chosen a Pioneer code free player from a web site out of Illinois. An electronics and media junky friend who buys only the best has a code free player, but a super expensive one; and I asked him to choose one for me. It's only $129 on this site, but he says it will do for what I want to use it for. No bells or whistles. My friend said the software might not be a good option, but that's only his opinion. Also, when buying an RF player, you have to make sure your TV is adaptable. That is, input jacks on the TV must be the same color as the cables coming from the DVD player. Eg: yellow/red/white combination or other.

• ginny12
    15 years ago

On Garden Web, there is a Computer Forum and I have found them to be lots of help with tech questions. I'd suggest posting there and letting us all know what they say.

As an aside, it is so dumb for manufacturers to have made different regions. It's like there being dual voltages etc. when you travel. Time for there to be one world on tech stuff.

15 years ago

Just picked up my mail about an hour ago, the DVD's from the UK have arrived, DH waved his magic wand and as I type this the Victorian Kitchen is playing on my regular DVD player. This means I can order other DVD's from the UK that aren't available over here :o).

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, YOU! I'm so jealous. I have to wait until I've saved a little more money to buy my DVD player. Have fun and think of me while you're watching them...waaaaaa.

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Oh, Annette. How lovely. I can hear the theme tune by Paul Reade running through my head. Think of me while your watching. :)

Libby

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Making myself a sandwich and a cup of coffee, preparing to slip The Victorian Kitchen into my new (code-free) DVD player that arrived Monday. A nice little pre-Thanksgiving cooking break. See you all later - MUCH later! ha.

Sponsored