Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Got a seed catalog today

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

Stokes Seeds. I've never ordered from them before, in fact this is my first Stokes catalog I think. I just put the garden to bed!

Comments (13)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I got one from Dominion Seed 2 weeks ago! That is earlier than last year when they came in January. ?? We just got snow yesterday! Which probably means we will get spring in July in 2012! =:/

Ginny

• natal
    12 years ago

I was going to say that's early then I realized it's already mid November. Where did the year go?

• Annie
    12 years ago

Wow, that is early! Catalogs usually don't start arriving here until after Christmas, generally the first week in January. It is always such a welcome arrival too.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just wish I could give seed starting a try, but every time I think of it I know there's not a good sunny spot in my house to set trays. Maybe a few little peat pots on the windowsills in the kitchen and pantry? We'll see.

OT: We are under a tornado watch right now until 11pm tonight. It feels like April. I went to help Mom and Stepdad move furniture back after having their carpets cleaned awhile ago, and on the way home it just feels like something has to give out there.

• Annie
    12 years ago

We were having thunderstorms and tornado watches last week and during the worst part of the storm, we had an earthquake. There was a loud boom, and the whole house rattled and then vibrated & shook for over five minutes with aftershock tremors. We live 20 miles from the epicenter. It's like...what do you do - go underground, or stay above ground in a situation like that? Geez!

If you hear the oncoming sound of a roaring train, it's a tornado! Hope you have a safe hole or a safe place in your house. ((HUGS)).
    ~Annie

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Yes, take care!!

Yes, it sure does sound early for the catalogs; these are meant to be read while it is snowing, cold, can't go outside, etc. right?? Today it was in the 80's here in Texas, my antique roses have buds, ready to bloom, way late, this is too warm, what is happening to our weather??

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning - no tornado last night, just some thunder and heavy rain. Blew a portion of my lattice off the back porch, that's the only damage I could see.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Hi :) SO glad storms weren't too bad! We have had absolutely perfect fall weather, which I'm so grateful for because I got daring and decided to "fall sow" a bunch of seeds and they came UP!!! I'm hoping the unseasonably warm weather will give them.time to develop some good roots.
    About seed catalogues, I cannot remember which company had written last year saying that they were sending out catalogues earlier and earlier to keep up with competitors who had been doing so as well as people having options to buy early online. I guess they had been losing sales since gardeners had already succumbed and ordered from others by the time theirs got there.
    I have to admit that I already knew what I wanted this year and was afraid it would be sold out, so I ordered Early and was also Very pleased at the excellent service some had said they couldn't get during rush season.
    I'm sort of haunting Baker Creek's site like a vulture because I desperately want some of their cool pumpkins when their new catalogue comes out lol

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

The first one arrived two weeks ago, I'm thinking about doing a little winter sowing and letting ol' mother nature do her thing.

Annette

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Annette, that is where my thoughts have been too. We'll see what happens.
    kay

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Yep, I got one today too. Did you request one from them last year? You know catalog companies sell customer list to other companies and there is big money in it, so you might not have ordered from Stokes but they got your name/address some how. Marketing Dept. can request names/address of people in certain areas, maybe a homeowner(not renter), certain ages, etc.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse,
    I sent you an e-mail invitation to join us over at the wintersowing forum. We'll make a seed starter out of you by next spring--I promise. Just save a few milk jugs and buy a bag of seed starter/potting mix. We'll even provide the seeds!

Martha

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Wintersowing is a lot of fun! It is easy and really cuts down on the expense of gardening, especially if you are a plant junkie with to much area to plant and to little dollars to fill the space up! :-) I have always lived in rural areas and consequently had large gardens. If it wasn't for wintersowing I could have never created the vision of the gardens I wanted.