Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Post a few of your favorite garden pictures...no matter how old

lavender_lass
11 years ago

I noticed on another post that people are hesitant to post older garden pictures, but some haven't seen them and many of us still enjoy them! So, please post a few of your favorites...here are a few of mine :)

I didn't do a thing in this first one. It's all courtesy of my husband's late grandmother. {{gwi:83916}}From Lavender's Garden

Sunny side of fairy garden. {{gwi:765150}}From Lavender's Garden

Close up of castle, in fairy garden. This is a favorite with the nieces and nephews! They always look in the alyssum, to try to find the fairies :) {{gwi:765151}}From Lavender's Garden

Comments (124)

• luckygal
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very pretty winsomegardener!

Schoolhouse, your morning glories are glorious!

LOL Annie, I've lived in Canada most of my life and have never seen -50. I don't live in the extreme north but am a few hundred miles from the Canada/US border. I think the coldest I've seen was -40 years ago but it's usually not colder than -22F and not usually for long. Global warming is a fact here and our winters have been downright 'balmy' recently. Right now it's +28F and was mid-30's earlier this week. The good thing is that we don't have the wild swings in temperature here which can be very hard on plants. This is also a dry climate so it doesn't feel as cold. When I visit damp climates I feel cold at much warmer temps. There are many climate zones in Canada from 0 in the far north to 8 on the southern west coast. The majority of Canada's population lives nearer the border than I do so their climate zones will be mostly warmer than my zone 3.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

And that is from only two -three MG seeds. In the beginning the plant struggled because of the heat and dryness of last summer, but then it took off like a monster. Some of the vines were as thick as my finger! Took a long time to bloom, too. Buds came on but mysteriously dried up or simply fell off. If I try it again, I will build some type of wooden trellis on either side of the window and above it. The strings I used simply could not hold the weight of the vines.
    It was beautiful though.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Winsomgardener,

I really like your patio garden.
    Very lovely indeed!

Thanks for sharing.

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

Wow What beautiful pictures! This is my first time here and I'm so happy I found you. Wow the pictures were just fabulous.

• Annie
    11 years ago

flowergirl929,

I'm glad you found us too!
    Love your photo.
    Thanks for sharing. It is soooo pretty.

Welcome to the Cottage Garden Forum.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    11 years ago

I have tons of pictures on my garden blog. I haven't updated it in a few months because I have been dealing with a lot of non-garden issues.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chester County Garden

• Annie
    11 years ago

Lois,
    I very much enjoyed your garden blog. I read EVERYTHING.
    I especially love your visit with your dad. I lost my "Papa" in October of 2011 and I so miss him too.

Thank you for sharing that with us.
    (HUGS))
    ~ Annie

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    11 years ago

Aw, Annie, thanks! I am sorry to hear about your Papa. We are both so blessed to have good, kind men for fathers.

Love all the pictures folks are sharing.

Lois

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I've really enjoyed seeing the variety of gardens that have been posted here. Thanks to all of you who have added photos and to Lavender Lass who started this thread.

Here's a bed planted along the top of an old barn foundation next to the house

From June 5, 2012

and then looking across the same bed late afternoon towards the fields and the river.

From June 5, 2012

A bed planted near DH's shop that has lots of flowers all season
    {{gwi:212234}}From June 5, 2012

but was also planted to retain interest during the winter.
    {{gwi:278791}}From December 2010

Hopefully in a few more years it will be tall enough and thick enough that most of the large stumps behind the bed will be better hidden.

• Annie
    11 years ago

nhbabs,

You have a beautiful place there.
    The forest back-drop is just gorgeous!
    New Hampshire is truly a beautiful state, that's for sure.
    You have a river on your property or at least close by? Do you trout fish?

Just Lovely...

Thanks again for this Topic, LL.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Texas Mtn. Laurel. Usually mid Feb. Also several columbines are starting spikes.

• lesmc
    11 years ago

My favorite clematis on the gazebo. Can`t wait till spring!! Lesley

• Annie
    11 years ago

I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I had a gazebo like yours, Leslie, flowers, structure, furniture and all!

Pure heaven. Truly lovely.

~Annie

• Annie
    11 years ago

Shasta Daisies and wild native Fleabane. (2005)
    I let the Fleabane grow where it likes. It is a lovely filler flower and creates a living bouquet within the garden wherever it grows.

• Annie
    11 years ago

June 2005 -

In the background, Left, you can see the Apple tree that once thrived and produced the best apples. The flesh was very white and I made applesauce and pies galore, as well as good eating. They ripened in late summer thru fall.

The tree in Center to the right of the apple tree was a lovely Crabapple. It had once been a mate apple tree to the other, but died back. The crabapple was the graft rootstock and it sprang up and grew into a beautiful tree that bloomed every spring. It was lovely. Several colors of pink and white blossoms that floated romantically to the ground and into the Koi pond nearby. In front of the apple trees, I built my Koi pond and planted a Corkscrew willow. In the distant right was a gigantic old Mulberry (a male tree). This created such a lovely setting and my favorite place to sit every year.

Alas, this area no longer supports the lovely perennials it once did. The apple trees, the corkscrew and the old mulberry all died. As the drought increased year by year and the climate changed more and more each year, this lovely oasis became too hot and too dry. It just breaks my heart. This area was my first garden area.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Petting and Tickling Grannie's Koi - Apr 2003

My favorite flower whom I miss the most - my oldest granddaughter, Natalie.

• Annie
    11 years ago

The Koi Pond - May 2003

The apple tree (left). The white settee that my Papa built me.

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 21:22

• Annie
    11 years ago

Looking at the Koi pond from under the apple trees.

• pootpoot1
    10 years ago

Hosenemesis your garden is absolutely breathtaking. Such an inspiration!

• flowerladylorraine
    10 years ago

Good morning from Plum Cottage in s.e. FL. There is a 'hint' of fall in the air down here and for that I am thankful.

This wonderful post of photos from your gardens is so inspiring. Every garden is different and beautiful.

My gardens are in need of work as I've had a setback this past year. I lost my DH of 43 years in Dec. Plus, the summer heat and humidity make it too miserable to work outside.

The photo below is taken of the little garden area surrounding my clothesline, and at the back of the little stationary caravan we were in the process of restoring as a little retreat in our gardens. The junk pickup underneath was towed away and we got cash for it, then we went to work, lots of memories in this project, but it's unfinished on the inside and hopefully I'll get to it in time. we found sections of picket fencing 'curbside' one day, loaded them up and after we surrounded this little area I painted them.

Now that cooler weather is coming I look forward to working in my gardens more.

Hosenemesis ~ your gardens were truly an inspiration to me as we grow some of the same things and I love what you have done.

Annie ~ Your style always inspired me and still does.

I see quite a few familiar names and look forward to coming in here more often for inspiration.

Happy Gardening to all ~ FlowerLady

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

• flowerladylorraine
    10 years ago

Kathleen ~ one of my favorite roses.

• flowerladylorraine
    10 years ago

Hugs-n-kisses hibiscus.

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

All so wonderful to see.
    I satisfy my showoff gene by publishing my blog and go through the year with photos I think might be interesting or informational. After a year, people will start to see repeats, and there are continual repeats, as some plants bloom for months.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Wow !!! Everybody !!! We could make a beautiful coffee table book with these photos !!!!

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Tiger lily.

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

Not really the intimate type of garden called a cottage garden, but certainly colorful. The view in May from where we eat dinner.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Lovely, Bogturtle !

• nulty
    10 years ago

Beautiful gardens and blooms and well worth taking a second look.

My garden of 2010,..with a short video of same.

Video===My Garden 2010.

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone! I recently discovered GardenWeb, and I'm just thrilled that I did. If I had to gauge gardening level, I would say that I'm probably a sophmore, when it comes gardening. While I'm not a complete novice, I still have so much to learn. I'm grateful that there is a place like this where I can come for advice and inspiration. Thank you ALL for sharing your lovely garden photos. It was so fun to get to take tour of all your gardens. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Seeing all of your beautiful pictures inspired me to go back and take a look at some of my old pictures. It makes me wish I had taken more photos... Especially since I moved about 4 months ago, and I'm now starting from scratch. I'm still in the process of amending the dark clay soil and pulling out all the overgrown shrubs and weeds... I'm hoping to be able to get to the fun planting soon. Let me know if you have any ideas on what plants I should consider.

Lavendar_lass: What a great post idea... Thank you!

Hosenemesis: First of all I love your clever screen name. I swooned when I saw the pictures of your garden. Can you come over and help me plan my new garden?!?... ;-) I have to find out if many of those gorgeous flowers you grow will do well in my area. Do you have any varietal recommendations? I especially love all your foxgloves and irises planted among the roses... How long will they put on a show for you??? What are those little white flowers that you've planted, almost as ground cover around all the taller flowers?

Sophies, Lesmc and Mnwsgal: I can't seem to get my clematis to grow as prolific as the way yours have.

Plantmaven: I have to find out if I can grow your Texas Mountain Laurel in my area... the purple flowers are so pretty... they remind me a bit of wisteria blossoms.

Woodyoak: Did you have to train your wisteria into a tree form yourself? I had a white wisteria in my previous home. I would look forward to every spring when the blooms would come in. It was a breath-taking display.

Haxuan: It was SO COOL to see pictures all the way from Dalat Vietnam. I still have family there, but have not been able to see them for many years now.

Jkom51: Your last photo of the "Green Meatballs" had me laughing out loud.

Lois: I loved looking at your blog photos. I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your white foxgloves. I would have been more than thrilled had I moved into your old home. The garden in my new home will take a lot more work to get it looking anything like the one you had.

SweetAnnie4u: I especially loved the photo of your white roses with the lavender and pink flowers in the background. I may have to borrow that idea... ;-)

Luckygal: Seeing your picture of the snow makes me miss my time in New York. While I feel lucky to live in an area of the country where I can pretty much garden year round, there's something about the changing of the seasons, and the beauty and quietness after a winter snow storm that I miss. It seems to make the promise of spring with all the beautiful plants coming back to life... like you grape hyacinth and columbines, that much more glorious.

Hi Everyone! I recently discovered GardenWeb, and I'm just thrilled that I did. If I had to gauge my gardening level, I would say that I'm probably a sophmore, when it comes gardening. While I'm not a complete novice, I still have SO MUCH to learn. I'm grateful that there is a place like this where I can come for advice and inspiration. Thank you ALL for sharing your lovely garden photos. It was so fun to get to take tour of all your gardens. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Seeing all of your beautiful pictures inspired me to go back and take a look at some of my old photos. It makes me wish I had taken more photos... Especially since I moved about 4 months ago, and I'm now starting from scratch. I'm still in the process of amending the dark clay soil and pulling out all the overgrown shrubs and weeds... I'm hoping to be able to get to the fun part soon. Let me know if you have any ideas on what plants I should consider. I'm in the dreaming and planting phase right now.

Hosenemesis: First of all I love your clever screen name. I swooned when I saw the pictures of your garden. Can you come over and help me plan my new garden?!?... ;-) I have to find out if many of those gorgeous flowers you grow will do well in my area. Do you have any varietal recommendations? I especially love all your foxgloves and irises planted among the roses... How long will they put on a show for you??? What are those little white flowers that you've planted, almost as ground cover around all the taller flowers?

Sophies, Lesmc and Mnwsgal: I can't seem to get my clematis to grow as prolific as the way yours have.

Plantmaven: I have to find out if I can grow your Texas Mountain Laurel in my area... the purple flowers are so pretty... they remind me a bit of wisteria blossoms.

Woodyoak: Did you have to train your wisteria into a tree form yourself? I had a white wisteria in my previous home. I would look forward to every spring when the blooms would come in. It was a breath-taking display.

Haxuan: It was SO COOL to see pictures all the way from Dalat Vietnam. I still have family there, but have not been able to see them for many years now.

Lois: I loved looking at your blog photos. I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your white foxgloves. I would have been more than thrilled had I moved into your old home. The garden in my new home will take a lot more work to get it looking anything like the one you had.

SweetAnnie4u: I especially loved the photo of your white roses with the lavender and pink flowers in the background. I may have to borrow that idea... ;-)

Luckygal: Seeing your picture of the snow makes me miss my time in New York. While I feel lucky to live in an area of the country where I can pretty much garden year round, there's something about the changing of the seasons, and the beauty and quietness after a winter snow storm that I miss. It seems to make the promise of spring with all the beautiful plants coming back to life... like you grape hyacinth and columbines, that much more glorious.

Seeing all of your beautiful pictures inspired me to go back and take a look at some of my old pictures. It makes me wish I had taken more photos... Especially since I moved about 4 months ago, and I'm now starting from scratch. I'm still in the process of amending the dark clay soil and pulling out all the overgrown shrubs and weeds... I'm hoping to be able to get to the fun planting soon. Let me know if you have any ideas on what plants I should consider.

Here's a picture of one of my favorite spots in my old house. It was early spring, and my white wisteria had just come into bloom along with my purple clematis. I really miss the wisteria, and I'm trying to come up with a way to incorporate it into the landscape of my new home. It's especially tricky since I don't have a patio or trellis for it to grow on. If you have ideas, please send them my way... :-)

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

Here are a few more photos I found...

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

White Hydrangeas... One of my favorite flowers.

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

White Iceberg Roses... another one of my favorite flowers.

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

Such a cool color combination... The colors seem to change slightly from year to year.

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

As you can see... I haven't figured out how to post multiple pictures on a single post. Please let me in on the secret if you happen to know... ;-)

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

The color changed from a light lime green to an intense pink-eggplant color.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

I 'me the only one you didn't chat with, CreatedTo Cook ? Kidding ! It is a fun place ! Enjoy !

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

As I'm staring at a pile of dirt in my new backyard, this picture is a reminder of the potential that's there, waiting to be realized.

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

I love the soft pale pink color of an iceberg rose bud as it's starting to bloom.

• createdtocook
    10 years ago

After a spring shower in the garden... the barely opened flower buds, having been kissed by the rain drops, are glistening... It's almost magical.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

I have just enjoyed looking at everyone's garden pictures. I thought I should add a few to thank you. I see one name I recognize from the Hosta Forum - TJ, hi!

First an old picture I always though of as looking like a "Cottage Garden". This was in 2006 before replacing the old fence.

2009 after replacing the picket fence with a made up cement wall. This was hand done and painted to give it a southwestern look. Unfortunate I lost the pink rose (John Davis) but have gotten another one and planted it in a different place in the garden.

August 2013

This is what it looks like now in our area of the country. Beautiful fall colors I think.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Front porch a few days ago. Hard to believe it might frost tomorrow night!

Love all of these pics! From macros of individual blooms to wide-open scene shots. Some serious gardeners AND photographers here.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Such a lovely porch, purpleinopp ! What a coffee table book this thread would be !

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Such lovely pictures, have so enjoyed them! This photo was taken in spring of 2013, I'm addicted to old garden roses, as you can tell!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So many lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing your gardens :)

Here's what I woke up to this morning...old picture, but same look. Now, it's all melted and the sun is peeking out. Typical November weather! LOL {{gwi:765260}}From Lavender's Garden

• roper2008
    10 years ago
  • aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

My tree stump garden....Annette

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

The shade house....Annette

• Evelyn256
    10 years ago

I love this thread - everyone's pictures are so beautiful. This is a corner of a garden I had in Kansas, full of Larkspur! Old and faded picture!

• Evelyn256
    10 years ago

I recycled an old aquarium to make this indoor garden. Can you find the froggie? (He's not real.)

• Evelyn256
    10 years ago

This is a very stubborn, dry, full-of-rocks slope (Southern CA), but these plants managed to grow in it as long as I watered frequently.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz