Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post a few of your favorite garden pictures...no matter how old

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 17:32

I noticed on another post that people are hesitant to post older garden pictures, but some haven't seen them and many of us still enjoy them! So, please post a few of your favorites...here are a few of mine :)

I didn't do a thing in this first one. It's all courtesy of my husband's late grandmother.

From Lavender's Garden

Sunny side of fairy garden.

From Lavender's Garden

Close up of castle, in fairy garden. This is a favorite with the nieces and nephews! They always look in the alyssum, to try to find the fairies :)

From Lavender's Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post a few of your favorite garden pictures...no matter how o

This was from '08...

Photobucket

...and this, from '11

Photobucket

The arbor in the first pic is at the top of the steps in the second pic.

tj

o

This is from 2011. Lavendar lass notice my deer proof fence. I remember from past posts you where needing ideas. These are 4x4 posts with 6ft livestock fencing and a cable a foot above the wire for more height of fence. So far deer havent jumped over it.

o

I cant figure out how to post more than 1 pic at a time. Last pic was part of my backyard this is the front of my home.

o

Tsugajunkie- That arch is just beautiful! Are those nasturtiums? What are the pink flowers? And the green garden is so lush looking :)

Valree- Your gardens are so pretty! Are the purple/blue flowers salvia? Your deer fence is so practical and it looks so good with the other fences. We've talked about trying some, but it's just not something we can do around the entire house (due to driveway so close to road) and I do think the deer are cute, when they walk around the garden. They only come into the front yard occasionally, mostly when the apples are falling out of the tree! :)

o

my pictures from last year were better than this year.

o

Lass- Yes, those are nasturtiums. 'Tall Climbing Single Mix' from Pinetree Seeds. The pink flowers are the dahlia 'Lavender Perfection' -should be grown by a lass such as yourself. ;-) The orange ones are 'Ala Mode'.

tj

o

Lass- The purple flowers are larkspur. They are poisonous to cattle and I think horses. My garden fence is just around my veggie garden. The rest of the garden is open to deer, dogs, raccoons and whoever else wanders in to visit. Great topic, I love to see pics of gardens! Val

o

This is a really difficult assignment! :D Besides the fact I'm not a good photographer there are so many plants I like. Just wish I could take better pics of them.

This is one of my favorite columbines and it's much larger now.

acquilegia

This is one of my earliest bloomers and a plant I love - grape hyacinth. It was large enough this year to split so I'll have more next year.

grape hyacinth

This is one of my favorite pics as it shows my garden when DH and I were sitting on the front deck enjoying the end of the work day. Garden is still a work in progress with the wheelbarrow not put away. That oval center bed is much larger now.

summer 2010 front garden

o

Really love seeing everyone's pics and hope more people post theirs.

o

This is a little morning glory that came up through my deck. I took a million pictures of my morning glories because i have been trying to grow them ever since I moved into my house six years ago! I can grow plants labeled "difficult" or "fussy", but this is the first time I managed to get morning glories. :-P
I love how it looks like there is a light coming from inside the flower.
All your pictures are gorgeous. Looked at them over coffee this morning. :)

o

This cheery sunflower was a surprise! I'm assuming a bird dropped a seed the year before. It was smack in the middle of a garden with mostly short flowers and in kind of an awkward spot, but I loved it! Going to look for seeds next year.

o

Still hard to believe this is mostly a bare area now. Looked like this a couple weeks ago. Sigh!

o

Love all the photos!
Here are some from other gardens for some inspiration!

My mom's garden:

Chanticleer Garden in PA:

Long border at Great Dixter:

2 from Sissinghurst from above looking in either direction:

Hever Castle. (if I won the lottery I would do this!)

Monet's garden:

Tower Hill Botanic Garden, MA. Love the idea of painting the seed heads.

Helen Dillon Garden, Ireland. I'm wiping the drool off my keyboard.

Powerscourt Garden, Ireland.

Atlanta Botanical Garden. Dale Chihuly glass seems to appear in so many gardens these days.

The Fells, NH, rock garden.

The Netherlands at Floriade.

JC Raulston Arboretum, trial gardens.

Plant Delight's Nursery

Coastal Maine Botanical Garden

OK! I'll stop. I get carried away when looking back at some garden trip photos. I hope no one minds that I posted so many photos!

Susan

o

Thyme, are you kidding??? I've enjoyed each and every one of them, thank you.

Annette

o

Late March 2012. San Antonio, TX

o

Never too many! Love them all. Hoping for even more pictures from everyone!

o

So inspirational, all of them. Here's another picture of part of my garden. We took the pool out this summer, it was getting too hard to look after with all the continuing falling leaves from the robinia tree. Don't quite know what I'm going to do with the spot, probably gravel it over and then a bit of constructive staring :). Annette

o

I enjoyed all the garden pictures. Here are some of mine.

o

I can't seem to post more than one picture at a time.

o

Another picture

o

Another picture.

o

Wow. Keep them coming!
Renee

o

Lovely to see so many pretty pics. Thyme2dig, those pics are very inspirational.

This is an old pic of part of my wild garden where I allowed flowering perennials to self-seed. It shows shastas and Dame Hesperis which I think I have eradicated this year with intensive weeding and mulching.

Photobucket

This is another part of the same 'wild' garden and shows yarrow and shastas with delphinium in a more distant bed. Most have now been weeded out.

Photobucket

Here is my Sicilian Iris which is a very tall one and supposedly a very old variety. Must move it this year as it's crowded by a lilac.

Photobucket

Dark purple columbine.

Photobucket

Lovage.

Photobucket

This is lamium which is a well-behaved groundcover which spreads just enough to split and move or share.

Photobucket

This pic is taken right beside my front garden and the reason I put up deer-proof fencing this year. Love looking at them but they have decimated many of my plants.

Photobucket

o

Well, if you really don't mind old ...

This is one I posted when I was a newbie here in the Cottage Garden forum in '05. It's still one of my favorite shots of this corner garden. I'm not sure it looks any better than this seven years later.

Not a bit cottagey in design, but you have to love sunflowers. And the heliopsis is pretty too. From '08.

ThinMan

o

Really enjoying all the pictures everyone! Thanks LL for starting this thread!

o

This little corner turned out cool this year. No flowers except the Oxalis, all tropical foliage.

o

Now that everything is gone for the winter, I love looking back and seeing what I did this year in my garden. I can't wait till next year! Thanks Lass for getting us to show off our yards! Val

o

Still don't know how to post more than 1 pic at a time.

o

My hollyhocks did really well this year.

o

Pretty delphs! They have to be treated as an annual here in south central TX. Also the hollyhocks are pretty. When I was growing up Mother had them by the back porch. But boy I can't get them to do well here. Maybe because of the limestone and thin soil.

My aunt and uncle lived on a farm and raised citrus. They had a bell for emergencies. They used it until they finally had phone service out there.

o

Valree, the hollyhocks and the fence look great together!

TM

o

Clematis Asao

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 14:42

o

Sorry, hadn't meant to submit the previous posting as it was.

Allium & Caradonna Salvia 2010

Allium and Caradonna Salvia

Daylily, Rudbeckia, Shasta Daisy 2010
Daylily, Rudbeckia, Daisy

Echinacea and Rudbeckia 2010
Echinacea & Rudbeckia

o

Clematis 2012

Clematis Barbara Jackman, Perrin's Pride, Snow Queen, Fireworks, Ernest Markham, Penstemon

Clematis Proteus
Clematis Proteus

Clematis NOID lst year of bloom
Clematis NOID

o

Wow! Some beautiful Gardens on this post! Really beautiful!

o

The daisies! And the clematis. Thanks, everyone. I needed this to get into the mood to go out there and start chopping everything back to prepare for spring.

o
RE: Post a few of your favorite garden pictures...no matter how

Here are a few of mine from last year.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Renee

o

Taken in October when the fall colors were in their prime

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 23:36

Oh, I think hosenemesis' photos are always so amazing! What a terrific garden with such an amazing assortment of plants. And I also loved thyme's photos of public gardens, a wonderful mini-tour. Here are some photos from places around Northern CA/Oregon where we've traveled these past few years in retirement.

I posted a whole bunch of photos to a separate link in the Gallery (below). There's a lot (30, in fact) so I didn't want to slow this thread down.
==========

Portland's Lan Su Garden is amazing. There are countless fine Japanese gardens in the US but Lan Su is unique. 60 Chinese craftsman created the entire park, including all five buildings, in 18 months, using mostly hand tools! If you are ever in Portland, do not miss this place:
Photobucket

The Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove area is 110 miles south of our home in the SF Bay Area. We go down twice a year and stuff ourselves with great French food! Carmel has amazing little alleyways and hidden courtyards. One of the prettiest is the pool and flowering urns behind the Anton & Michel restaurant (but don't eat there, the food's horrible):
Photobucket

One of the finest public gardens is Filoli in Woodside, CA, just south of SF. Lillian Matson Roth (of the steamship line) bought the old Bourne estate and used it as her gardening estate. This is the Garden House I want to live in when I win the lottery, LOL:
Photobucket

The Elizabeth Gamble Garden in Palo Alto is actually a small city park, quite pleasant to sit outside on one's lunch hour and read:
Photobucket

My husband who is not a gardener, was most impressed with this six foot tall rabbit topiary!
Photobucket

In our first year of retirement together we drove 2500 miles on a 5-1/2 week trip from Northern CA to the Pacific NW and back. We found this fallen redwood root stump and the size was breathtaking. My spouse is almost 6' tall and it dwarfed him:
Photobucket

Also...just for giggles, someone posted this during a Landscaping discussion quite a few years ago on GW. Everybody went into hysterics over it, and I saved it. I don't remember who posted it or what the details were, but it never fails to make everyone laugh who sees it. We labeled it the "Green Meatball" style of landscaping!
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden photos for lavender_lass

o

Jkom, I'm posting your meatballs on the Facebook page of Crimes Against Horticulture. I'll give you full credit. This must be more widely shared.
Renee

o

Here're a few photos of my garden, in Dalat Vietnam

Hope you enjoy.

Xuan

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 16:52

xuan, welcome back! Haven't see your garden pix in a while and they are beautiful. Love, love that bright red sage you have! I had one, but it got so ugly over our cold wet winters, I finally had to pull it out.

o

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos. Our landscape is white with snow and ice. It is a joy to see your colorful blooms and plants.

o

Mnwsgal, my landscape at the moment may look a bit like yours! I love looking at more colorful blooms also altho do appreciate the benefits to a garden of cold weather.

Here's a pic of my garden I took a few days ago. Pretty much the same every winter!

Photobucket

o

This is one of my favorite pictures taken in our garden:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The young (5 years old) Japanese wisteria bloomed for the first time this spring:
so I'm hoping for a bigger show from it in 2013.

While lots of other things bloom before the wisteria in spring, the wisteria blooming has come to mark the official start of garden season for us :-) We start checking the state of the buds in early March and watching them progress towards blooming becomes a measure of the days in spring!

Thyme - you've obviously done some enviable garden travel!

o

An old picture of part of one garden in Minnesota. I am afraid to think of my poor neglected gardens I had started in Alaska. I bet between the moose and rabbits that not much remains. I use a lot of Nepeta Six Hills Giant in all my gardens for deer protection. I also love the way they spread and fill in with my large gardens. The color goes with every thing and when done blooming I cut back and get another big flush of blooms. This spring I had ordered tons of bulbs and my daughter had dug up and divided up an old garden beds plants. We were going to plant a whole new section in the back yard,go crazy on the last expansion of the gardens. I found out a few days after arriving that I was sick so have been unable to do anything at all this year. My dear daughter had to plant over 250 pots of plants herself, take care of five acres, the house and her mama all while working full time! I have been blessed!

o

Wow, some stellar pics here guys.

-hosenemesis, a bit of envy going on here! Never in a million years could I design something so spectacular, lol.

I like this pic taken a couple autumns ago of the shade garden.
shadegardenplants
CMK

o

Renee,
I never tire of looking at your garden photos. Absolutely breathtaking!!!

Each area is a work of art.
I am so envious of gardens like yours. Amazing....

Proud to call you my gardening friend.
~Annie

o

Not best picture but give it a try

o

Another try

o

I LOVE Roses, and all my new Daylilies, so the following are some of my faves. Unfortunately, most of my best Daylily pics are of individual clumps or flowers.

Here are some of my Knock-Out Roses at the edge of the new Patio Garden. I grew many things in pots set on the bricks last year with great success.

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 22:32

o

Correction:

1. Rosa, Mirandy, May 2012

o

Rosa, 'Simply Marvelous'
Outstanding performer, especially considering this was its first year, trying to establish during a drought and triple digit summer temps.
Stunning raspberry colour blooms, 4-5 inches in diameter, with an unbelievable fragrance that fills the garden area.
Medium sized bush.
Easy to root.

o

One of the Daylily beds. - Late May, 2012

o

Patio Garden - Late June, 2012

It was a cool 78 degrees in the house that day, but over 100 degrees outside. Condensation built up quickly on the lens and made the blurs on the lens. That was only the beginning of what was to come.

o

Upper garden

o
more garden pictures

More upper Garden

o
a few more garden pictures

Anyway, that's some I liked from last year.

o

Wish it was colorful now

o

koszta_kid,
I really like your photo. Love the reds in your garden, Very colorful indeed, and beautifully designed.

I also want to say how much I love that knock dead, gorgeous Fall photo that wagonwheel posted.

And aren't Xuan's lovely colorful beds in here garden just eye-poppingly beautiful? Si much color. I LOVE IT! So nice to see you on here again, too by the way.

Some of you are new to me since I last was on here as a regular for many years. All you old-timers like me - you know how much I admire and appreciate your gardens, and the artistry you've shown of your gardens. But, I love and appreciate yours on here as much as ever. Your kindness and advice and sometimes courageous critiquing has been so helpful over the years and your friendship the very best.

Also wanted to say that I found the pics of mnwsgal's flowers and gardens just stunning images of color, design, and variety. Bravo! You have a lot of room for gardening or you just make it look big and expansive. :)

Hasta!

o

Old Blush Climbing Rose
This was one of my favorite pics last year. I used it for my Desk Top and on Facebook.

o

LavenderLass,

I really like your second photo because it shows all your beautiful flowers. Gorgeous color combinations. I had never seen that picture before. You did a lot of work and it shows.
Thanks for the topic.

~Annie

o

Gorgeous pics! Thanks All!

Reading what Annie wrote made me realize we all have gardening challenges. Your's is extreme heat while mine is extreme cold. Of course I can do little about the cold temps but wait for spring and not choose out-of-zone plants, but you must deal with the heat for your plants very survival. And I know how difficult it is to garden when it's very hot as I've lived in zone 6. I used to garden from 5am til 7am and then later in the evening when it cooled off. You are to be commended for such beautiful plants as I'm sure it takes a lot of effort to keep them that way. Your roses are stunningly beautiful.

o

Spring 2007

o

• Posted by 1101 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 22:18

My back yard 2007

o

I'm new to the garden web and boy do you all inspire me! I was a lurker for awhile but finally have become brave enough to join. This is my favorite spot in my garden.

o

WOW, these are just GORGEOUS photos, everyone!

o

jkom,

I think I might try to recreate the Elizabeth Gamble Garden of Palo Alto in my Upper Garden this year. I just LOVE that garden design! The Springs and Summers there are so similar to here - minus the foothills and mountains - (lots of rain in the spring and then none in the summer) and all those plants do well here too. (I'm originally from Fallbrook - got "uprooted" and "transplanted" here to Central Oklahoma). Thanks for all those gorgeous pics, kiddo!

o

* Christin (CMK),

Talk about envious! My Hostas and etc like you grow there are stunted by comparison and never look that lush. Love the Japanese grass too. Beautiful!

* 1101- Really like your peaked roof garden arch with the pink roses amassed all over it and those lovely tall piney woods. Reminds me of Louisiana - I lived in the Shreveport/Bossier City area for ten years and just loved it there. Hated to leave, actually.

* lou1850ft,
Your garden is very pretty. You've done a lot of work and it is beautiful! No reason to be shy about posting anything. Love the rocked fish pond and lushness. Who's the little white 'Fluff' in the foreground? Cute!

* thinman, what variety of sunflowers do you grow? They are one flower that does very well here in this area. I want to grow some of those short varieties that have such pretty flower heads. They are a best sellers at the Farmer's Market. I sold more flowers than I did veggies!

* WoodyOak,
Envious of your gorgeous Wisteria tree! Mine is growing, but not blooming. It is a Pink -blooming variety. I bought one that was blooming so I could be certain of the color and wouldn't have to wait 7 years for it to flower, but it does not like my soil apparently, or maybe that in combo with our current climate change. I haven't a clue. I have tried all the suggestions from the Wisteria Forum folks. Afraid to move it, but maybe I should chance it - a better location may be in order. What do you think?

o

Annie - what conditions are it in? As long as it's getting lots of sun and it's neither too wet or too dry, it can deal with tough conditions. It's not too fussy about pH as long as the soil is not at either extreme. My soil is somewhat alkaline clay and they do fine in it. Do not fertilize - they like lean soil (they are legumes so fix their own nitrogen; adding fertilizer just promotes foliage growth at the expense of flowers.) And keep it well pruned - that's the biggest factor in encouraging flowers I think. Both my Chinese (the one in the picture above) and the young Japanese one only took 5 years to bloom in spring. The Chinese one started producing the smaller summer flush of flowers in its second year. What time of year did you buy it and what kind is it? If you bought it in summer and it's a Chinese one, the flower would have been of the secondary bloom type and it will likely still take 5 years (with good pruning and lots of sun) to get a spring bloom from it. (The spring flowers are usually paler than the summer ones....) Can you see any of the short, stubby spur growths that have lots of buds? Once those start forming it's a sign that it's getting close to flowering age. I don't have a good picture of them on the Chinese wisteria but you can see them on the Japanese wisteria in the picture below. The Chinese ones are less upright and the buds are a somewhat different shape but you should be able to recognize them. The best time to see them is now, while there are no leaves to hide them!

Have patience and keep pruning! As long as it's in full sun and you like where it is, I wouldn't move it.

o

My first time posting photos. Wanted to share a picture of my very small suburban NY garden which was taken last summer. This is my patio area which is in full sun. I love how this picture captures the warmth of the sunlight in early afternoon. As it is now mid-January, the yard is barren and frigid but I am already busy planning what I will be doing come Spring!

o

Feeling the sun shine from last Sept, as I sit here and it's 8 degrees out there today.

o

So many lovely gardens, thanks for the inspiration! Nice to see so many newbies to posting pics letting us have a peek!!!

o

Oh, schoolhouse!
I adore that pic!
So very charming. I love Heavenly Blue Morning Glories!

8 Degrees? Brrrr.....
It hasn't been that cold here...yet. You Ohioans must be getting that arctic stuff. I cannot image how folks up in Canada can deal with 50+ below and etc. When it gets down to -10 degrees F here, I am totally 'frozenated', man!

Been in the 20s here this week, dropping off from the most beautiful spring-like weather with 68-70 degrees F on Saturday and Sunday. Our weather here is completely erratic and whacky, man! I mean, it can be in the 80s one minute and drop down below freezing within a couple of hours. The plants and animals are like, "what's up with this stuff?"
It's hard to adjust to temperature fluctuations like that!

But, it has warmed w-a-y up to 42 degree F here this morning. Doesn't feel like it though for some reason. Looks cold and wintry out too. Even the birds outside my windows here look like they are made of iron.

Stay in and stay warm!
Spring will come soon enough.

o

Very pretty winsomegardener!

Schoolhouse, your morning glories are glorious!

LOL Annie, I've lived in Canada most of my life and have never seen -50. I don't live in the extreme north but am a few hundred miles from the Canada/US border. I think the coldest I've seen was -40 years ago but it's usually not colder than -22F and not usually for long. Global warming is a fact here and our winters have been downright 'balmy' recently. Right now it's +28F and was mid-30's earlier this week. The good thing is that we don't have the wild swings in temperature here which can be very hard on plants. This is also a dry climate so it doesn't feel as cold. When I visit damp climates I feel cold at much warmer temps. There are many climate zones in Canada from 0 in the far north to 8 on the southern west coast. The majority of Canada's population lives nearer the border than I do so their climate zones will be mostly warmer than my zone 3.

o

And that is from only two -three MG seeds. In the beginning the plant struggled because of the heat and dryness of last summer, but then it took off like a monster. Some of the vines were as thick as my finger! Took a long time to bloom, too. Buds came on but mysteriously dried up or simply fell off. If I try it again, I will build some type of wooden trellis on either side of the window and above it. The strings I used simply could not hold the weight of the vines.
It was beautiful though.

o

Winsomgardener,

I really like your patio garden.
Very lovely indeed!

Thanks for sharing.

o

Wow What beautiful pictures! This is my first time here and I'm so happy I found you. Wow the pictures were just fabulous.

o

flowergirl929,

I'm glad you found us too!
Love your photo.
Thanks for sharing. It is soooo pretty.

Welcome to the Cottage Garden Forum.

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 10:01

I have tons of pictures on my garden blog. I haven't updated it in a few months because I have been dealing with a lot of non-garden issues.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chester County Garden

o

Lois,
I very much enjoyed your garden blog. I read EVERYTHING.
I especially love your visit with your dad. I lost my "Papa" in October of 2011 and I so miss him too.

Thank you for sharing that with us.
(HUGS))
~ Annie

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 19:55

Aw, Annie, thanks! I am sorry to hear about your Papa. We are both so blessed to have good, kind men for fathers.

Love all the pictures folks are sharing.

Lois

o

I've really enjoyed seeing the variety of gardens that have been posted here. Thanks to all of you who have added photos and to Lavender Lass who started this thread.

Here's a bed planted along the top of an old barn foundation next to the house

From June 5, 2012

and then looking across the same bed late afternoon towards the fields and the river.

From June 5, 2012

A bed planted near DH's shop that has lots of flowers all season

From June 5, 2012

but was also planted to retain interest during the winter.

From December 2010

Hopefully in a few more years it will be tall enough and thick enough that most of the large stumps behind the bed will be better hidden.

o

nhbabs,

You have a beautiful place there.
The forest back-drop is just gorgeous!
New Hampshire is truly a beautiful state, that's for sure.
You have a river on your property or at least close by? Do you trout fish?

Just Lovely...

Thanks again for this Topic, LL.

o

Texas Mtn. Laurel. Usually mid Feb. Also several columbines are starting spikes.

o

My favorite clematis on the gazebo. Can`t wait till spring!! Lesley

o

I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I had a gazebo like yours, Leslie, flowers, structure, furniture and all!

Pure heaven. Truly lovely.

~Annie

o

Shasta Daisies and wild native Fleabane. (2005)
I let the Fleabane grow where it likes. It is a lovely filler flower and creates a living bouquet within the garden wherever it grows.

o

June 2005 -

In the background, Left, you can see the Apple tree that once thrived and produced the best apples. The flesh was very white and I made applesauce and pies galore, as well as good eating. They ripened in late summer thru fall.

The tree in Center to the right of the apple tree was a lovely Crabapple. It had once been a mate apple tree to the other, but died back. The crabapple was the graft rootstock and it sprang up and grew into a beautiful tree that bloomed every spring. It was lovely. Several colors of pink and white blossoms that floated romantically to the ground and into the Koi pond nearby. In front of the apple trees, I built my Koi pond and planted a Corkscrew willow. In the distant right was a gigantic old Mulberry (a male tree). This created such a lovely setting and my favorite place to sit every year.

Alas, this area no longer supports the lovely perennials it once did. The apple trees, the corkscrew and the old mulberry all died. As the drought increased year by year and the climate changed more and more each year, this lovely oasis became too hot and too dry. It just breaks my heart. This area was my first garden area.

o

Petting and Tickling Grannie's Koi - Apr 2003

My favorite flower whom I miss the most - my oldest granddaughter, Natalie.

o

The Koi Pond - May 2003

The apple tree (left). The white settee that my Papa built me.

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 21:22

o

Looking at the Koi pond from under the apple trees.

o

Hosenemesis your garden is absolutely breathtaking. Such an inspiration!

o

Good morning from Plum Cottage in s.e. FL. There is a 'hint' of fall in the air down here and for that I am thankful.

This wonderful post of photos from your gardens is so inspiring. Every garden is different and beautiful.

My gardens are in need of work as I've had a setback this past year. I lost my DH of 43 years in Dec. Plus, the summer heat and humidity make it too miserable to work outside.

The photo below is taken of the little garden area surrounding my clothesline, and at the back of the little stationary caravan we were in the process of restoring as a little retreat in our gardens. The junk pickup underneath was towed away and we got cash for it, then we went to work, lots of memories in this project, but it's unfinished on the inside and hopefully I'll get to it in time. we found sections of picket fencing 'curbside' one day, loaded them up and after we surrounded this little area I painted them.

Now that cooler weather is coming I look forward to working in my gardens more.

Hosenemesis ~ your gardens were truly an inspiration to me as we grow some of the same things and I love what you have done.

Annie ~ Your style always inspired me and still does.

I see quite a few familiar names and look forward to coming in here more often for inspiration.

Happy Gardening to all ~ FlowerLady

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

o

Kathleen ~ one of my favorite roses.

o

Hugs-n-kisses hibiscus.

o

All so wonderful to see.
I satisfy my showoff gene by publishing my blog and go through the year with photos I think might be interesting or informational. After a year, people will start to see repeats, and there are continual repeats, as some plants bloom for months.

o

Wow !!! Everybody !!! We could make a beautiful coffee table book with these photos !!!!

o

Tiger lily.

o

Not really the intimate type of garden called a cottage garden, but certainly colorful. The view in May from where we eat dinner.

o

Lovely, Bogturtle !

o

Beautiful gardens and blooms and well worth taking a second look.

My garden of 2010,..with a short video of same.

Video===My Garden 2010.

o

Hi Everyone! I recently discovered GardenWeb, and I'm just thrilled that I did. If I had to gauge gardening level, I would say that I'm probably a sophmore, when it comes gardening. While I'm not a complete novice, I still have so much to learn. I'm grateful that there is a place like this where I can come for advice and inspiration. Thank you ALL for sharing your lovely garden photos. It was so fun to get to take tour of all your gardens. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Seeing all of your beautiful pictures inspired me to go back and take a look at some of my old pictures. It makes me wish I had taken more photos... Especially since I moved about 4 months ago, and I'm now starting from scratch. I'm still in the process of amending the dark clay soil and pulling out all the overgrown shrubs and weeds... I'm hoping to be able to get to the fun planting soon. Let me know if you have any ideas on what plants I should consider.

Lavendar_lass: What a great post idea... Thank you!

Hosenemesis: First of all I love your clever screen name. I swooned when I saw the pictures of your garden. Can you come over and help me plan my new garden?!?... ;-) I have to find out if many of those gorgeous flowers you grow will do well in my area. Do you have any varietal recommendations? I especially love all your foxgloves and irises planted among the roses... How long will they put on a show for you??? What are those little white flowers that you've planted, almost as ground cover around all the taller flowers?

Sophies, Lesmc and Mnwsgal: I can't seem to get my clematis to grow as prolific as the way yours have.

Plantmaven: I have to find out if I can grow your Texas Mountain Laurel in my area... the purple flowers are so pretty... they remind me a bit of wisteria blossoms.

Woodyoak: Did you have to train your wisteria into a tree form yourself? I had a white wisteria in my previous home. I would look forward to every spring when the blooms would come in. It was a breath-taking display.

Haxuan: It was SO COOL to see pictures all the way from Dalat Vietnam. I still have family there, but have not been able to see them for many years now.

Jkom51: Your last photo of the "Green Meatballs" had me laughing out loud.

Lois: I loved looking at your blog photos. I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your white foxgloves. I would have been more than thrilled had I moved into your old home. The garden in my new home will take a lot more work to get it looking anything like the one you had.

SweetAnnie4u: I especially loved the photo of your white roses with the lavender and pink flowers in the background. I may have to borrow that idea... ;-)

Luckygal: Seeing your picture of the snow makes me miss my time in New York. While I feel lucky to live in an area of the country where I can pretty much garden year round, there's something about the changing of the seasons, and the beauty and quietness after a winter snow storm that I miss. It seems to make the promise of spring with all the beautiful plants coming back to life... like you grape hyacinth and columbines, that much more glorious.

Hi Everyone! I recently discovered GardenWeb, and I'm just thrilled that I did. If I had to gauge my gardening level, I would say that I'm probably a sophmore, when it comes gardening. While I'm not a complete novice, I still have SO MUCH to learn. I'm grateful that there is a place like this where I can come for advice and inspiration. Thank you ALL for sharing your lovely garden photos. It was so fun to get to take tour of all your gardens. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Seeing all of your beautiful pictures inspired me to go back and take a look at some of my old photos. It makes me wish I had taken more photos... Especially since I moved about 4 months ago, and I'm now starting from scratch. I'm still in the process of amending the dark clay soil and pulling out all the overgrown shrubs and weeds... I'm hoping to be able to get to the fun part soon. Let me know if you have any ideas on what plants I should consider. I'm in the dreaming and planting phase right now.

Hosenemesis: First of all I love your clever screen name. I swooned when I saw the pictures of your garden. Can you come over and help me plan my new garden?!?... ;-) I have to find out if many of those gorgeous flowers you grow will do well in my area. Do you have any varietal recommendations? I especially love all your foxgloves and irises planted among the roses... How long will they put on a show for you??? What are those little white flowers that you've planted, almost as ground cover around all the taller flowers?

Sophies, Lesmc and Mnwsgal: I can't seem to get my clematis to grow as prolific as the way yours have.

Plantmaven: I have to find out if I can grow your Texas Mountain Laurel in my area... the purple flowers are so pretty... they remind me a bit of wisteria blossoms.

Woodyoak: Did you have to train your wisteria into a tree form yourself? I had a white wisteria in my previous home. I would look forward to every spring when the blooms would come in. It was a breath-taking display.

Haxuan: It was SO COOL to see pictures all the way from Dalat Vietnam. I still have family there, but have not been able to see them for many years now.

Lois: I loved looking at your blog photos. I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your white foxgloves. I would have been more than thrilled had I moved into your old home. The garden in my new home will take a lot more work to get it looking anything like the one you had.

SweetAnnie4u: I especially loved the photo of your white roses with the lavender and pink flowers in the background. I may have to borrow that idea... ;-)

Luckygal: Seeing your picture of the snow makes me miss my time in New York. While I feel lucky to live in an area of the country where I can pretty much garden year round, there's something about the changing of the seasons, and the beauty and quietness after a winter snow storm that I miss. It seems to make the promise of spring with all the beautiful plants coming back to life... like you grape hyacinth and columbines, that much more glorious.

Seeing all of your beautiful pictures inspired me to go back and take a look at some of my old pictures. It makes me wish I had taken more photos... Especially since I moved about 4 months ago, and I'm now starting from scratch. I'm still in the process of amending the dark clay soil and pulling out all the overgrown shrubs and weeds... I'm hoping to be able to get to the fun planting soon. Let me know if you have any ideas on what plants I should consider.

Here's a picture of one of my favorite spots in my old house. It was early spring, and my white wisteria had just come into bloom along with my purple clematis. I really miss the wisteria, and I'm trying to come up with a way to incorporate it into the landscape of my new home. It's especially tricky since I don't have a patio or trellis for it to grow on. If you have ideas, please send them my way... :-)

o

Here are a few more photos I found...

o

White Hydrangeas... One of my favorite flowers.

o

White Iceberg Roses... another one of my favorite flowers.

o

Such a cool color combination... The colors seem to change slightly from year to year.

o

As you can see... I haven't figured out how to post multiple pictures on a single post. Please let me in on the secret if you happen to know... ;-)

o

The color changed from a light lime green to an intense pink-eggplant color.

o

I 'me the only one you didn't chat with, CreatedTo Cook ? Kidding ! It is a fun place ! Enjoy !

o

As I'm staring at a pile of dirt in my new backyard, this picture is a reminder of the potential that's there, waiting to be realized.

o

I love the soft pale pink color of an iceberg rose bud as it's starting to bloom.

o

After a spring shower in the garden... the barely opened flower buds, having been kissed by the rain drops, are glistening... It's almost magical.

o

I have just enjoyed looking at everyone's garden pictures. I thought I should add a few to thank you. I see one name I recognize from the Hosta Forum - TJ, hi!

First an old picture I always though of as looking like a "Cottage Garden". This was in 2006 before replacing the old fence.

JUNE19 2006 ~1

2009 after replacing the picket fence with a made up cement wall. This was hand done and painted to give it a southwestern look. Unfortunate I lost the pink rose (John Davis) but have gotten another one and planted it in a different place in the garden.

7-13-09 b

5-14-13 (15)

DSC08231

Touch of Class

August 2013

Red Impatiens Aug 2013

10-8-13 (134)

This is what it looks like now in our area of the country. Beautiful fall colors I think.

Canoe, BC

o

Front porch a few days ago. Hard to believe it might frost tomorrow night!

Love all of these pics! From macros of individual blooms to wide-open scene shots. Some serious gardeners AND photographers here.

o

Such a lovely porch, purpleinopp ! What a coffee table book this thread would be !

o

Such lovely pictures, have so enjoyed them! This photo was taken in spring of 2013, I'm addicted to old garden roses, as you can tell!

o

So many lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing your gardens :)

Here's what I woke up to this morning...old picture, but same look. Now, it's all melted and the sun is peeking out. Typical November weather! LOL

From Lavender's Garden

o

photo DSC_0270.jpg

photo DSCN0070.jpg

photo DSC_0724.jpg

o

My tree stump garden....Annette

o
RE: Post a few of your favorite garden pictures...no matter how

The shade house....Annette

o

I love this thread - everyone's pictures are so beautiful. This is a corner of a garden I had in Kansas, full of Larkspur! Old and faded picture!

o

I recycled an old aquarium to make this indoor garden. Can you find the froggie? (He's not real.)

o

This is a very stubborn, dry, full-of-rocks slope (Southern CA), but these plants managed to grow in it as long as I watered frequently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here