Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Do you have a goal for your garden?

I know the main objective in gardening is for pleasure. They provide beauty, create a relaxing environment, and give us a good way to pass the time. But do you have any specific goals for your garden?

I am working on a long-term goal. I want to have a garden that can pretty much take care of itself if the need arises; a garden that needs minimal care. Watering not included, as I have to do that daily here ;-) But weeding and general care. I have been getting rid of plants that are just too fussy and exchanging them for plants that don't and can go years without doing much more than a bit of snipping. And I have planted things close together to reduce weeding. This year I have already started to reap the benifits of this. I went for nearly a whole month (summer, not spring! Spring is a weedy time here, lol!) without weeding.

So, got any garden goals?

CMK

Comments (27)

• carrieburgess3
    14 years ago

My goal is to create something that looks as if it has aways and effortlessly been.

Carrie B.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

My goal for my "cottage" garden is to have a garden of roses and lavender (with other plants mixed in) around the house that will transition well into the more natural setting of pasture and trees beyond the house. It's still a work in progress, but that's my goal :)

• MollyDog
    14 years ago

Over the years I, too, have "weeded" out perennials that demand too much care. I have incorporated more shrubs and recently planted serbian spruce in the beds. I am almost 60 now and I figure by the time the spruce take over too much of the beds, it will be a good thing...there will be just enough garden for me to tend.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Yep. A bird/butterfly sanctuary that my neighbors can't peer into without coming down the driveway. I want to create an enclosure with spring bulbs popping out of last year's leaves, summer perennials that can withstand either torrential rains or drought, fall foliage that blazes, and evergreens and bare deciduous sticks that provide winter interest. I'd also like a place to sit and have dinner or a drink without getting my pants dirty.

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Four seasons interest and low maintenance. That's my goal. Right :-)

Eduarda

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

Token - I'm with you!! I have a very shallow, exposed lot along the road allowance. I am putting in flower/winter interest shrubs and tall perennials, in raised beds that will be backed/fronted(?) by tall perennials on the road side, as well as a split-rail fence. Eventually, it will be about 6' wide, maybe undulating. Eventually, I will add a bog garden.

Nancy.

• ianna
    14 years ago

sure. I aim for continues blooms, privacy and the urge to keep things looking 'natural'

• bogturtle
    14 years ago

To have something in bloom, every month of the year, and color each month, that I can see out the windows. In zone 7a there are plants that will flower in Winter and many plants have colored berries or bark.

• DYH
    14 years ago

After 4 years of experimenting with full sun and deer resistance here at this garden, I've been on a mission this fall to ruthlessly cull plants that don't thrill me. I've been on a redesign spree where I've been rounding up existing favorite plants from my garden and rearranging them into improved designs by color combinations and better growing conditions. Even in 4 years, maturing shrubs and trees have changed the microclimates, so I had to do this shuffle.

My goal is to "settle" the garden design into plants that perform well and please me - so that I can enjoy it more and work less.

Cameron

• backyardgrown
    14 years ago

I want more privacy in my front yard, a semi-enclosed sitting area, four season interest, mown paths and white clover in the large lawn areas, and loads of cutting material. I have my commercial beds in one side of the yard, so the other side is slowly becoming my personal sanctuary. I already have a bench/chair/table, white climing rose, a flower bed that needs a lot of work, sweet bay magnolia, fragrant tea olive, Yuletide camellia, apple tree (with more to come), Bloodgood Japanese maple and some larger oak trees on the front near the road.

My dad is supposed to be coming out to clear the old barbed wire fence line behind the house that has gotten overgrown with honeysuckle and blackberry canes. It's gotten too snakey back there, and I need to be able to mow it. Some of the old cedar fence posts are staying for bird houses and feeders.

I've done a lot of work this year, but there are many more springs and summers of work to do. This winter will be spent cleaning out new areas for flower beds (personal and commercial), mulching, trimming and getting ready for the spring and summer wedding season. Whew.

• deep_south_gardener
    14 years ago

Hey ya'll,
    I'm new to the forum but check in from time to time.
    My garden here is south Louisiana is very small but
    nice. We did just purchase a much larger plot of
    ground in Mississippi. On closer inspection I have
    discovered that it is infested with wild blackberry
    and morning glory. Not to mention almost 10 feet of
    brush between the fence and cleared driveway. I have
    big plans but realize it will take a long time to
    get it in shape. I'm not even sure where to start.
    I'm thinking a small mailbox garden. Something that
    say's "look we have neighbors". There's also an oak
    tree at the very front of the property that I'd like
    to plant something under or near by and I have a bench
    that I could place under it for a place to relax or
    read. I have lots of plants that I can divide or
    move. Any suggestions for the area near the oak?
    Thanks.

Brenda

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

Hello and welcome brenda! I think your mailbox garden sounds very nice and the tree sounds sooo pretty. I would agree the bench sounds great and i dont know much about oak trees or gardening in the south, but im sure others can help you! Maybe if you can post pics on a new thread we can see what you have to work with? And im wondering, are you lucky enough to be able to garden through the winter? If so, im already jealous! :)
    When i moved to my house in long island (before living here) i put up an american flag, that was my way of saying hello to my neighbors!

• deep_south_gardener
    14 years ago

Hello lilyfinch, Thanks for the Welcome. I'm not
    sure how to post pictures here so any help with
    that would be great. As for gardening through
    the winter, I can here in south Louisiana but I
    don't think I will be able to in Mississippi.
    The new property is a zone up from where I am now.
    It means an earlier first frost and a later last
    frost. It also means colder temps for longer periods
    of time. On the up side it means I can grow bulbs
    and fruit trees that need a cold period that we
    don't get in LA. I'm thinking it may be to late
    to plant my mailbox garden since I won't be there
    to cover it if we get a frost. Once it's established
    it should overwinter fine, but I don't know if there
    will be enough time before the first frost there.
    I'm excited about the new place but there's a lot
    of work ahead as well. I keep reminding myself
    to take it one "bite" at a time. I thought I'd
    have something planted by now but there have been
    other priorities. Even the ditch out front holds
    promise. I'm thinking sunflowers and wildflowers.
    It holds very little water and is more of a road
    bank than a ditch. Louisiana iris should do
    well where it holds water. I have some pictures
    I'll post when I figure out how. Thanks
    again for the welcome. I'm looking forward
    to the help and inspiration.

Brenda

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Brenda, I upload my photo's to webshots, then when you click on the desired pic there, then look to the bottom of the pic, and you will see clickable icons. Click on the 7th one from the left (copy paste icon). You can select the desired size of shot. Then click on code under "direct link to image" to highlight, and copy this code.
    Now come back to your post on GW, type
    Leave out all spaces between except between img and src. WHere it says "code" paste in your pic address that you copied.
    I hope I didnt make that too confusing. Sometimes I dont explain things very well.
    Tammy

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

I my garden has reached it's goal. Just upkeep from now on.

Libby

• deep_south_gardener
    14 years ago

Thanks for the instruction Tammy. I will try it tonight.
    Off to work for me.

Brenda

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Libby - my goal has been to get to that point! lol
    But, I've been wondering, when you do get to just upkeep, is that more or less satisfying? I could see it going both ways.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

My goal is to figure out an easy way to keep the pups frpm ruining everything I plant in the back yard! So frustrating! The sloping area behind the garage and bordered by a stone wall looked so pretty at
    first. Then, the serviceberry was dug up. Then, the azaleas, then some of the hosta, then all the rest of the hosta and perennials. Nothing left but one hydrangea and a new azalea (I am ever hopeful). I would need way too much fencing to fence off all the areas they ruin. Alas.
    Cynthia

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

holleygarden

when you do get to just upkeep, is that more or less satisfying?

I never really planned my garden just put in winding paths and planted and planted. I have more than enough things to do to keep it looking good. Always a pleasure.

Libby

{{gwi:599701}}

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Wow Libby, your garden is just beautiful. Do you spend a lot of time staking? Your spikes of delphinium look perfect. That picture would make a beautiful painting.

My goal is to someday have my entire yard completed with the various gardens I have in mind. I finished (although still tweak) my cottage garden and slope garden and now have moved into the backyard to start on more or less a woodland garden walk with mainly trees and shrubs. Once I have worked that area for a few years I have another large area where I hope to do something like an English walled garden (however I'm not sure what the walls will be and probably need to win the lottery first! LOL!!) After that I still have a few other areas to complete. It's a work in progress and I'm so glad I have a piece of land that will keep me busy for years to come.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I have several goals for my garden(s). Now that we have lots of space we can have lots of seperate garden space. Today I planted the deck garden. It's pretty much all low mounded shrubs (except for the tall stuff :) - the goal is just to look good and not have to work at it much there. It is fairly typical foundation planting, but that's OK!
    The largest part of our garden has the goal of feeding us most of our diet, and sustaining itself without added costs - meaning that it will provide it's own water, nutrients etc. (with my help, of course) without bills.
    There are gardens planned purely for enjoyment and relaxation, some for cooking places, entertaining spaces, beauty and also for health.
    I'm greedy. I want it all :)

• carrieburgess3
    14 years ago

Mollydog, I think that is the most beautiful garden picture I have ever seen.

Libby, your garden is just stunning. It must feel very rewarding to get to, DONE!! Congratulations on a beautiful job!

Carrie B.

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Libby's garden is just so.....sigh.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

What do you all think about my new idea ---intead of fencing, what if I plant now and lay the wire fencing flat over the ground covered by a little dirt and some mulch. Then, when Annabelle (lead digger) and Clouseau (her idiot assistant) try to dig, they will hit the wire and (aha)stop!
    I know there must be a flaw in this idea, so please criticize it-don't want to waste my time, but I'm really liking this. I want pretty gardens like all of yours!

Thanks.

Cynthia

• token28001
    14 years ago

chicken wire will discourage all sorts of digging critters. I'd say go for it.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

The wire may work, it can keep coyotes from digging up into a chicken pen, right?

• roper2008
    14 years ago

My goal for my garden is to provide food for me, and food
    for the bee's, birds and butterflies.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz