Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Monarch Butterfly Crisis

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I don't know how much any of the posters here know about the state of the Monarch Butterfly, but their population has plummeted in the past three years. Last winter the population in the overwintering forest in Mexico was 1/3 of what it had been the year before, by far the lowest since anyone has been keeping track. They estimate that 60 million butterflies spent the winter that year. So far this winter, only 3 million have returned. This could very well be the end of the miraculous migration of these beautiful creatures.

There is still a chance we can work to bring them back, if gardeners all across the United States make an effort to include native, pollen-producing plants, and especially many milkweed plants, which are the only plant that Monarchs will lay eggs on, and the only plant that the caterpillars can eat. We also need to try to stop use of any pesticides that could be poisonous to any insects.

It's not just the Monarchs that are in trouble. All types of native bees are also declining at frightening rates. 80% of all the plants that grow in our environment depend on bees for pollination. If we lose them, we will lose our world as we know it, and we will not survive. We need to rethink our approach to conserving our fragile environment, and quickly.

Please consider making some adjustments in your gardens that might help the situation. Expand your gardens and shrink your lawns. Consider planting prairie plants where you have sun, which won't require as much watering or mowing. Plant native trees such as oaks, willows, beech, etc. and plant native flowering shrubs that provide nectar for insects and berries for birds and other small creatures. We just need to tip the balance back in the direction of nature. Visit the butterfly forum for more info, or the native plant forums, woodland and prairie forums. We're also adopting newbies to milkweed growing on a thread that can be found on the seed trading forum or linked from the Milkweed forum. I'm counting on each of you to do what you can and speak to others you know and encourage them to do the same.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving,

Martha

Comments (8)

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

Has really upset a friend who counted them, as they funneled down to the southernmost point of this State before crossing the bay for the South. Few in number and depressing. My plan is to start many Asclepias tuberosa seedlings to give to gardeners. They germination and growth was easy, last time I tried. Perhaps there could be many people who would grow milkweeds on their properties, but the real solution may lie in Mexico. Both the Pileated Woodpecker and Brant pivoted, when faced with real habitat changes, so perhaps the Monarch can.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bogturtle,
    I am hopeful that we can turn things around. The two most important issues are the overwintering site in Mexico, and the nearly universal use of Roundup Ready crops throughout the United States Midwest. 95% of the milkweeds used by Monarchs have been growing alongside agricultural crops. The percentage of fields that are planted in genetically modified organisms that are resistant to Roundup has grown from 25% to over 85% in the past 5-7 years. And as corn has risen in price, farmers have expanded their fields right to the edge of the roads, so there are not even field edges for Monarchs and other insects to cling to. That's why we all need to fill our yards with nectar-producing shrubs and flowers to give them new places to survive.

Martha

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    10 years ago

Very distressing indeed. I attended a workshop on monarchs last month at my local library. They talked about all the very things you mention docmom. When the audience was asked if they had seen any monarchs this summer, only a handful raised their hands. And those who had had only seen one or two. I've let my milkweed go to seed in hopes that it will help.

Skibby

• rosefenn
    10 years ago

There are 2 easy ways to help.

1. Plant milkweed in your gardens for them to have something to lay their eggs on -- it's the ONLY thing the caterpillars will eat. Need pods or seeds? MonarchWatch.org sells seed. I myself have some pods if anyone is interested.
    2. Plant nectar plants -- Joe Pye weed, coneflowers, phlox, cosmos, zinnas, buddleia, rudbeckia and so on.

I have had a Monarch flower plot for several years. This last summer I saw only a few Monarchs and I am afraid. This next summer I will redouble my efforts.

• ianna
    10 years ago

we had very little butterfly sightings in my area in Ontario Canada as well. Its not just monarchs but other butterflies as well. Interestingly, I had a lot of bees. Apart from the obvious, the climate seems to be the real reason behind the phenomenon. We had severe storms, (hurricanes and tornadoes) and all these affect migration routes. So while we can seed plants (nurseries for these butterfiles) - let's hope for less extreme weather this year.

• dfscudder
    8 years ago

Lost my comment. Photo shows where milkweed ought to be but is not. Don't think farm chemicals or GMOs account for disappearance of milkweed. It was ubiquitous 50 years ago. Maybe it is new invasive weeds that drive out milkweed. Lots of weeds, no milkweed. Go figure.

• agardenstateof_mind
    8 years ago

Dfscudder, with the introduction of GMO crops engineered to be resistant to the herbicide glyphosate, farmers can now apply the herbicide to their fields throughout the growing season. This practice eliminates all plants other than the GMO crop, including milkweed, that used to provide habitat for numerous insects. Carrying it one step further, those insects in turn provided food for birds. No insects - no birds; even seed-eating birds need insects to feed their young; insects make up about 90% of the young birds' diet. Therefore, many of our agricultural areas are now virtual deserts.

Adding to the damage, surveys have shown that a great many farmers also apply herbicide well beyond the perimeter of their fields, eliminating still more habitat.

Another product under great suspicion for adding to the problem is the new class of pesticides call neonicotinoids, or "neonics" for short. These are systemic and are taken up into the tissues of the plant, delivering a dose of poison to any insect that feeds upon it. Initially it was maintained that the material was only taken into the stems and leaves, but now it seems that it is, in fact, translocated to the pollen and nectar as well. Neonics seem to be quite persistent; rather than breaking down quickly, they can remain present and toxic in plant tissues for many months.

Certainly there are other problems facing the monarchs: loss of habitat in their overwintering sites, diseases like OE, nuclear polyhedrosis virus, and pseudomonas bacteria, also parasitic insects like tachinid flies and braconid wasps, as well as unfavorable weather, particularly during migrating season. Cool, wet weather in spring makes their northward journey more difficult, and dry summers can leave them with precious few nectaring plants on their southward journey in late summer/early autumn.

Any one or two of these challenges probably would not be insurmountable, but it seems the monarch is facing the proverbial "perfect storm" of multiple challenges to its survival.

• agardenstateof_mind
    8 years ago

During a webinar this spring I learned of a non-native, invasive, vining weed that is a problem for the monarch butterfly and other species, as well as a nuisance: swallow wort. A close relative to milkweed, the female monarch is fooled into laying eggs on this plant, but since the plant lacks the proper chemical makeup, all monarch caterpillars that feed upon it will die.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2014/04/invasive-vines-swallow-new-yorks-natural-areas

Sponsored