Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Are You Baking for Thanksgiving Yet?

organic_kitten
13 years ago

I have a lot of mine under way. I baked little baked peach pies. (similar to fried pies, but baked...DH loves them). I also baked chocolate chip cookies (grandkids and son), made the three kinds of Jello jigglers cut into cubes (grandkids) and have baked the Caramel Italian Cream cake in southern Living magazine. I'm waiting for it to cool so I can frost it.

Tomorrow I will bake a Black forest Cherry pie and a Coconut custard pie, and also prepare (but not cook until Thursday) a sweet Potato casserole.

What are you baking this time?

kay

Comments (10)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Wow, that all sounds wonderful! And it's making me miss my relatives in South Carolina. Coconut custard pie, sweet potato casserole....are you making cornbread stuffing, too?

Sadly, I am not prepared and need to go to the store tomorrow with my mom, to get a fresh turkey, if we can get out in this weather. It's been snowing so much, we may have to move the big dinner to Christmas, this year!

Mom is a great cook and still cooks the turkey and makes the most amazing mashed potatoes and gravy, but I bring desserts and two kinds of cranberry relish...cran/raspberry and cran/orange. The cran/raspberry is so yummy (mom jokes you could serve it over vanilla ice cream) and the cran/orange is best warm...I guess it's all the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All of those relishes sounds really good! My mom always made fresh cranberry relish. I had to hide the peach pies since DH would not quit eating them.

Yes, I will make cornbread dressing! Thanksgiving is the big meal here when the family comes to Mimi's house. This year it is the only big one, as I have to work Christmas Eve and Christmas and News Year's Eve and New Years. They fall on my Baylor shift, so I will work them. It is probably my last time to work a holiday, since I am planning to retire next year.

kay

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

No, I bought a pumpkin pie yesterday. We all go to my brother and sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving, and she doesn't want anyone to bring any dishes; so the pie will be for me later that night - if I still have room to eat.

I do most of my baking at Christmas, since it's only me I just do cookies and little mince pies,ect. to keep on hand in case friends drop in.

• natal
    13 years ago

Not baking sweets. It's just dh & me this year. I may make a batch of Italian Sesame Cookies later today. Am making poppy seed dinner rolls. Mixed up the dough yesterday. These are buttery good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Baked a couple blueberry pies last weekend to bring to the gathering on Thurs. To keep DH from being tortured by having to look at the pies in the fridge, I also made some blueberry tartlets out of puff pastry (slice up the puff pastry dough into squares, push each square into a muffin tin, add a glop of pie filling to each square, then pinch the corners shut and bake.)

Today I will be baking butterfly rolls, and next week I will be making pralines and maybe a peanut butter chocolate pie to take to a party.

Soon DH and I will be conducting the annual Lights Debate over whether to decorate with big or little lights... It's all part of the holiday tradition, LOL.

Lois in PA

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Does purchasing pies from the school fundraiser count?! No baking for me, but Lois that idea with the puff pastry in the muffin tin is genius. It sounds so simple and yummy!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This mis the caramel Italian Cream Cake. The receipe was in Southern Living Magazine, but I did not do all of the extra work on the coconut...I just toasted coconut.

{{gwi:765764}}

kay

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Holy carp! That is one fine lookin' pie Kay!!

-LL, oh yum! Love the sound of the cran/raspberry! And just think, next year you may be using berries from your own garden ;-)

Usually the tradition is to make homemade dressing the day before with mom. Everything from scratch! Toast the bread, make the cornbread, fry the sage sausage, season it all up etc. But nothing very "grand" going on here this year, which is great with me too! Breaks are nice, lol.
    CMK

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

That cake looks FANTASTIC! YUM!
    I've been cooking up a storm. I never know if we'll have 2 or 3 or 20. Usually the odd drop-ins all day when our friends figure out who's got the food!
    I stuffed a pumpkin with lentils, wild rice, amaranth, toasted pecans and dry cranberries and roasted it almost all the way, made pumpkin pie, baked sweet potatoes and regular potatoes and the regular get mashed tomorrow, made a salad of tomatoes and will pick arugula for it tomorrow, roasted carrots, beets and creamed the beet greens. Tomorrow I finish off the corn bread.
    We are also going to hang mini bagels with bird seed for the birds and probably begin baking holiday cookies tomorrow if people drop in and decide to bake. I dried herbs all this week to begin making herbal holiday cookies, teas and treats!

• thinman
    13 years ago

No baking, but I did make some squash soup Wednesday to have with our T-day dinner today. It's pretty tasty.

Have to go stuff the big bird soon.

ThinMan

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio