Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Sleep well, my Lovelies!

Oakley
13 years ago

Tonight we get our first hard freeze. Living in the country means it will get even colder. We're also lighting our first fire tonight!

I took a last picture just now. All that's left because of continuous frosts are Roses and Lantana. I have a row of Roses by the fence too. My prettiest Rose is hidden behind the Carpet Roses you see. And it's full of big peach blooms which I don't dare cut. :(

Last of the blooms! Good night, sleep tight, don't let any bugs bite & I'll see you in the Spring!

Comments (14)

• natal
    13 years ago

Is it early for a hard freeze? They're talking we my have frost Saturday morning ... that's a little early for us.

Don't disappear till spring. Winter is the time to plan and dream for next year. I'm already making my wish list.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal, we've had snow on Halloween before. We're lucky, Oklahoma gets all 4 seasons.

In fact, they're talking about snow next week! Yay!

• natal
    13 years ago

We get 4 seasons too, it's just that the best ones are way too short. You can have all that snow! I grew up in northern Indiana and saw enough to last me a lifetime.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Well natal, here in NW Indiana we are having sleet and possible lake effect snow tonight and tomorrow. It was so sad to pick all my tomatoes and peppers last week. Of course, I left cleaning out the garden until the snow came....but it is suppose to be 60 on Sunday. I've told DH and DS to plan on helping me clean the beds then. The lake is very warm this year and that can mean a lot of lake effect.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Great picture Oakleyok, The leaves are still falling here and everything is still wet and dreary from all the rain but we haven't had a killing frost yet. Cleanup is very spotty but I have managed to clean up a couple of beds.
    I planted frog leg shallots a couple of days ago and today I planted some garlic. I also cut out the old canes of a D.A. rose The Mayor of Casterbridge and pinned in 3 strong new canes, I also transplanted some strawberries into a half barrel.
    We removed the landscape cloth and mulch from my little bulb bed under the dogwood out front. I just have to redo the edge and spread a little sea soil around and it's all ready for the little bulbs to poke their noses through minus weeds.
    This works like a dream, after the bulbs start to die down in the spring we cover the bed with a piece of heavy landscape cloth, dump some wood shavings on top, give it a good soak to settle it and forget it till november, it looks neat all summer and it's one spot where I don't have to weed. When we remove the shavings and lift the landscape cloth any weeds that might have been there are history.

Annette

• thinman
    13 years ago

Speaking of snow, we had a little this morning. The Grandsons, who are with us for a week, were thrilled. Me, not so much.

You can see some rows of my pretties already hunkered down for the winter.

ThinMan

• natal
    13 years ago

Bev, my brother lives in Ft. Wayne and mentioned the possibility of snow this week. Hope you get those warmer temps on Sunday, so you can put the guys to work. ;)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thin, that is so pretty! I sure wish we had some good rains though. This has been a very dry Fall.

One thing I love about Oklahoma is we can have frigid temperatures for a week (under 32 F), even in the daytime, and the following week it can be 60 degrees!

We lit the fire lastnight and it was wonderful! The freeze only lasted a few hours and so far the flowers are still intact. But I bet they'll start showing some effect soon since it's supposed to freeze again tonight.

I do NOT miss the incredibly hot and humid summer we had.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

This has been a strange fall in our area. We had our usual tomato killing frost at the end of August...so no tomatoes...but we haven't had our really cold frost yet. There are still a couple of hybrid musk roses against the house, trying to bloom, but they're almost done.

Today is supposed to be 55 degrees, but by Monday night it's supposed to be snowing. Within the next few days, the highs will drop to 37 F, with the lows in the 20s. Now, that's our usual November! LOL

Thinman- Nice picture.

Oakleyok- Pretty roses...what kind of rose is your peach one?

• scully931
    13 years ago

Our area had its "official growing season" end about two weeks ago, but then the weather man added that every place in Pennsylvania had had a frost except Pittsburgh, so my stuff is still going strong. I did notice a light coating one morning, but didn't seem to bother my foxglove, which sprouted beautiful flowers about two weeks ago. 8-/

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

First frost is supposed to be tonight. I picked the tomatoes and moved the the tropicals that are in pots into the greenhouse.

Since I planted the duranda erecta in the ground this year (it was getting too big to move back and forth between the greenhouse and outdoors), I erected a small flowerhouse over it today. Supposedly, in Alabama, a freeze would kill all growth above the ground but it would sprout back anew next spring...I'm trying to avoid the "freeze to the ground" part.

It is a standard type and very pretty. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
    kay

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Pretty pictures everyone; thanks for sharing.

What they say about there being micro-climates right in your own garden is true--my hydrangeas got zapped by the first hard freeze last weekend but the ones beside my next door neighbor's driveway look fine. Mine are on a slope on the north side of my garage. His are on a slope on the north side of his driveway. Go figure.

Other than some winter sown alyssum, pretty much everything else has given up for this year.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

Well the nights are getting cooler but my zinnia, roses, mums and cockcomb are still out there being beautiful. About the only problems they are having are the fall rains that are trying to pound them into the ground. I guess I need to stake better when I plant with fall in mind.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

TM, I am with your grandsons! Very pretty.