Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

why I chose plantmaven as....

plantmaven
12 years ago

my user name. When my cousin would want to know something about a plant, his partner would say, "call the plantmaven".

They were great guys. They died with in 6 months of each other. They met at the USO during WWII. One was a musician and the other was a spy. They spent over 60 years together

from an online dictionary. "maven is a trusted expert in a particular field, who seeks to pass knowledge on to others. The word maven comes from the Hebrew, via Yiddish, and means one who understands, based on an accumulation of knowledge. "

By no means do I consider myself an expert, but they did.

Comments (12)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I love that story! Thanks for sharing.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

What a lovely story plantmaven. Great that you chose such a personal user name that will remind you of them each and every time you log in...
    CMK

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

I loved your story too. I often wonder how people choose their screen names. And, I have a new word for scrabble. . . maven.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Kathy, love the story behind your screen name. A friend put me on to GW in 2006 before that I had never even looked at a computer never mind used one.
    At the time I was still big into fuchsias so DH set up his laptop so I could browse the fuchsia forum on GW, Someone was asking about a certain fuchsia, as it was I had it and knew the variety name, as a lurker it was so frustrating not being able to blurt it out.
    Being a monkey see monkey do kind of person it took some time to teach me the basics, like how to turn the computer on etc. :), then I joined GW and had to think of a screen name I thought aftermidnight seemed to fit as it was well after midnight when the light bulb finally came on and DH thought it was safe to leave his laptop with me (I now have my own laptop :). The computer has opened up a whole new world for me, I love researching things that interest me. I still have to yell help on occasion when I can't get something to work but DH always comes to the rescue.

Annette

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

My childhood nickname from my real parents(adopted), as I was alsawys getting into Calamities as a curious child! I Love hearing the stories behind the names!

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

When I owned my bead store, customers said I was a "witch" with the beads, in reference to my jewelry creations, so I used "beadwitchery" as a catch phrase in connection with my business.

Then when I joined the forum, and tried to use my "beadwitch" logo name, it said it was already in use (my own screen name on the web elsewhere, I am sure, and it wouldn't let me use it again! Same with "Isadora", my store logo (Isadora the beady-eyed dragon) that I use on other forums and sites) so I thought about what I really loved in my gardens, and worked on the most, and my moss gardens came immediately to mind. Ergo, "moss"witch.

Sandy

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Great story! But now I want to read more...a musician and a spy in WWII, who met at the USO. Sounds like a wonderful movie! :)

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

I joined GW when I was researching roses. At that time I liked the Tea roses. My name is Patti thus. Pat_Tea.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LL ~ the spy, Terry, would not talk much about his experiences. I know he was in a plane crash in South America and they had to walk out of the jungle for help. He was also there when the U.S. liberated one of the death camps. He told me it was so horrible that his mind blanked out most of it.
    When he returned to New York they settled there for most of their lives. They both became actors.
    The muscian, Ray, was an actor and dancer on the Carol Burnet show. He had a dollar bill signed by her. When he got to where he could no longer dance, he gave piano, voice and dance lessons.
    Terry also did advertising. He told about the time he had to model jockey shorts for an ad. They had to wear a powder puff in the front, so there would be no lumps or bumps on the front. Hahaha. Things have sure changed since the 50's.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Love that story Plantmaven.

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

I just had to comment. What a touching story. And I agree plantmaven as your your user name is a tribute to them. They must have led very exciting lives.

• teakettle2
    12 years ago

Teakettle came about because we set up our first computer on the kitchen table. DH warned me not to use my real name...so I looked up and named myself after the first thing I saw...

but plantmaven-your story is just heartwarming...

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz