Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

My ground froze!

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I was happily planting away last night, getting all my clearance shrubs finally in the ground. On the way home today, I decided to buy a few purple hyacinths for the fairy garden. When I went out a few hours ago to plant them, the ground was frozen! It was fine yesterday, but frozen tonight and I couldn't use the trowel. I got the shovel and broke through to get the hyacinths planted...and now I'm done for the year. It's supposed to snow tonight, so I guess it's about that time...but I couldn't believe how quickly things changed.

Anyone else dealing with frozen ground, yet?

Comments (6)

• Annie
    12 years ago

Not yet, but it's coming. Yesterday I was wearing shorts. This afternoon, a northern blew into the state and the change from 62 this morning to 30s tonight is dramatic! The wind is howling and beating against the windows right now. Supposed to drop into the 20s tomorrow night, and then warm back up into the 60s daytime/high 40s night time on Saturday. You learn not to pack away warm weather/seasonal clothing when you live in Oklahoma. Crazy...
    I have bulbs yet to plant. I plan to set them out on Sunday.

• valree3
    12 years ago

I'm dealing with frozen ground also. The mornings this week have been 7 to 12 degrees, the low 20's we have been having this past month and a half are looking really nice right now! We have been having strange weather this year, a frost in mid June and not much in the way of cold weather till the middle of Oct. Normally we have the last frost in early June and then a quick frost in mid Aug. and the heavy frost in Sept. Almost a whole extra month of growing season this year!!! Snow is called for friday night, wont be seeing any warm ground till the end of next May. I think I just depressed myself, but I still can look forward to the seed catalogs that come after Christmas!!!!

• BecR
    12 years ago

Yesterday we had a warm Santa Ana wind blowing all day long. The day time temp was right at eighty degrees,and last night was a chilly forty-two degrees.

We had our first snowfall in the local mountains, last night. There is a lovely view of the snow capped mountains, just a short walk from my house to see it. Beautiful!

We are expecting rain and much cooler temps over the next few days, with nights dipping into the thirties.

Brrrr! Expecting more local snow in the mountains (about an hours drive)--yay!

A few years back we had a white Thanksgiving--the snow only lasted a few hours, but still...we loved it.

Stay warm everyone!

XX Becky

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Our weather has been up and down. I figure the next five days will be my last gardening opportunities. I am trying to move 8 4x4 raised garden beds to a sunnier area, get the greenhouse set up in one of the beds and get my greens moved there, dig up the canna and calla bulbs, cut back what perennials I have time for, and plant some grasses I dug up a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping for some help from DH and DS, but DH's back is acting up and DS is really busy with work and school. Bummer!

I'm sorry your ground is already frozen, but isn't it a relief in some ways to know you can't get out there to garden. I know I always enjoy the winter break. However, your break is definitely too long. LOL

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We do have long winters, but there are some advantages to that, too. When we do have plenty of snow (most years) we don't have to worry about water. With our hot summers, we'd be in a drought situation too...if it weren't for the heavy snows, which keep the trees and big shrubs looking good, even with the high summer temps.

The other nice thing about the winter is that it kills off just about every bad bug and disease that lives in a garden. We don't have most of the problems that I read about in other, warmer areas of the country.

I do miss playing, I mean working, in the garden (LOL) but it's nice to be able to garden pretty much worry-free, when it does warm up. The biggest challenge has been finding zone 3 and 4 plants that do well, with our cold winters. Luckily, there are a lot of purple/lavender, pink and white flowers from those zones, that look great with my hardy red, pink and white roses, although I do have some yellow and orange flowers too, especially in the veggie garden :)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Wow, I really feel for you in the lower zones. We did have a little frost on the roofs last night, but we're back into the 70's tomorrow and the next few days. Amazing what we deal with, either cold weather, lack of rain, hot hot hot! or whatever, we seem to persevere one way or another. For years I lived on Lake McDonald just inside Glacier National Park in Montana; in September it's time to pack it up and go, the colder weather is on its way! Living in Texas, it's November, everything is blooming and happy, we're transplanting, having a good time of it all!

Life goes on, and life is good...

Sponsored