Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

New Formal Cottage Garden Area.

Annie
12 years ago

Reconstruction was begun today.

I will take pictures of each step to show the stages, the messes, and then the finished project.

I am so excited!

This afternoon, I started cutting back the large Forsythia bush that is growing dead center of where the 4 ft. wide path must go. I am going to leave it growing on one side and let if grow up over the new arch that will go there. Now, I can see up into the above terraced area where the White Garden and Daylily beds are situated.

Those two beds will need to be redone next spring to accommodate the new round fish pond, but the fish pond can be constructed now. I want pink and white water lilies in the pond next year.

All I plan on doing this fall and winter is creating the new path and redefining the terracing using quarry-stone blocks. There are two terraces above the Patio area up to where the pond will be situated. It is so cool to be able to stand at the back door now and see up into that area. I will be able to see the daylilies in bloom from the patio next year.

There are a number of small shrubs and plants to be moved to open up the new path, but all are hardy enough that I can move them now and know they will survive the winter. I salvaged over two tons of brick and quarry rock from my parent's old homesite, so hopefully that will be enough for the project. I will probably buy some square terra cotta pavers to so that it matches the other paved paths and areas. Each area will not be exactly square, but each area will contain elements of symmetry so it will be formal. There will be neatly trimmed Japanese Boxwood on each side, pink roses (although not the same variety), variegated Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald n Gold' on each side, and a Bluebeard Spirea shrub. Possibly a dwarf Juniper shrub on each side- one is already on the south side. There are already two matching Spireas on each side. There is a Blue Spires Juniper on one side and a Colorado Blue Spruce on the other on the next terrace up, so their colors will create the balance and symmetry even though they are different trees and on different levels. Things may change as I work on it, but that is the basic plan so far. It is so exciting to actually be able to see how it is going to look even at this point!

Can't wait until tomorrow to do a little more work on Project: 'The Formal Garden'. :)

~Annie

Comments (19)

• pat_tea
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am so excited for you and can't wait to follow your photo journal through your project.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

How fun! I love new gardens and this one sounds like it's going to be beautiful :)

Can we see pictures of what it looks like now? Pink and white water lilies in the fish pond...how lovely that will be!

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Hey! We need some "before" pictures taken and posted now, so that we can see, in our mind, what you are doing as you go along....

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

A challenge, but I know you'll accomplish it. Hope you don't lose too much of your Tasha Tudor atmosphere tho, I like that about your place.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tasha Tudor's influence will still be alive and well in my gardens, just this one area in the central part will be "more" formal ;)
    I want it to have a Formal Garden focal point and then everything will remain the Country Cottage Garden, although I will move a few things around.

Pic #1 - Patio view (Nov. 2010).

Pic #2 - Same area, slightly different angle (May 2011).

Pic #3 - different angle of same area - (July 2011)

Posting Pics #1-#4 to show the different plants of each season.

Pic #4 - (Aug. 2011)

We just got home from a two-night, back-to-back band gig at 3:45 this morning. I HAD to take a shower to rid myself of the stench of the bar, so decided to post this while my hair dried. It's still damp, but I'm going to bed now. I'm exhausted! Hope to sleep in late...

Will add the beginning reconstruction images later today that I took on Friday.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

#1. Removal and reposition of existing plants

In my zeal, I forgot to take beginning pics of the piles of clippings and etc. that I removed to the burn-pile - oops! It was immense! Three wheelbarrows full and piled high. I was trying to beat the rain that was about to hit and had to hurry to get ready to go to the Gig up in Ponca City. Hurry, hurry, hurry!

Pic #2. The new path to the top tier

Pic #3. Showing the top where I removed perennial flowers and irises and replanted two of the Boxwood shrubs.

Pic #4. Top of new path

Pic #5. Looking down the new path to back door and patio.

Pic #6. Side view of the Boxwood shrubs at the top.

The Daylilies will be dug this spring and planted around the pond, bordered by clipped dwarf Boxwood and bricks.

There will be a walking path encircling the pond and hopefully garden bench(es) - eventually. The clothesline post will be removed and the path will continue from the pond, straight up to the big grassy area in back.

Paths will be brick, or brick set in river rock pea gravel. Have to see how far the bricks go.
    I don't want to use mulch for paving anymore because my little hens scratch in it and make a mess searching for bugs. :)

The biggest expense will be the cost of the pond. I am buying a 300 gallon Stock Pond from the ranch supply store. It is made of black rubber, by "RubberMade". It will last and last. It won't breakdown from sun exposure, freezing and thawing action, or crack like the "fancy" pre-fab black plastic ponds that cost an arm and a leg, sold at Lowe's or Home Depot, & etc. Also, if snakes invade the pond, I can shoot them with my pellet rifle and not worry about possibly doing damage to the pond, if by chance I do miss my target - not likely, but sheet happens.

I am contemplating building two stately pillars (rock or brick) in the center of the path...still studying that idea.
    Would like to have concrete urns set on top of each containing ornamental grasses. I want year-round interest.

The plants at the bottom of the terraces in the little patio garden will be removed & relocated. It will be completely paved in a circular pattern of brick. I originally built the terraces using wooden landscape timbers. The wood slowly rotted away over the years with the help of termites, and the soil began to erode down the bank stealing the patio area space. The terraces will be redefined with quarry rock and soil shoveled back back up into each, reclaiming my once large patio area at the base of the terraces. The path there will need to be dug out in places and reset fitting into the new formal design. The re-terracing and re-vamped patio areas may turn out to be the biggest part and the hardest part of the whole project!

Positioning of plants and new additions will be added if and when needed to keep the symmetry.

Enough work to keep me busy for awhile, anywho.

~Annie

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

Looks like a lot of work but oh how worth it it will be. You are very creative. Love it.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

You sure have a lot of energy! I hope you have nice weather this fall/winter which will allow you to continue working and get a head start on next year.
    Your plans sound terrific!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Sounds great. You on speed or something? haha
    Would you like a week or so vacation in San Antonio?
    Years ago Coop said, "you will catch a cold if you go to bed with your hair wet". I asked if he ever went to bed with his hair wet and did he catch a cold. He laughed and said, "so much for old wives tales".

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to TRY to upload the series of projects and data to my PhotoBucket account, if it will let me. It has been balking and stalling out during uploads, but I'll try it again. It will make it easier for me and everyone else to view images and follow my project, especially those on here with computers not compatible for viewing big images.

Many Heartfelt Thanks to everyone for the positive comments. I don't get much recognition for anything I do from my family, so it means a lot to me. (sob, sob) Thanks for always being here for me. XXXOOO.
    ~Annie

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I posted pics of the project in my Photobucket.
    Shows pics of some of the materials and various angles to study for construction.

The big concrete culvert is going to become a small lily pond in the small Japanese Garden that I built by the patio.
    But, that's another project in the works. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: New Formal Cottage Garden

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Oh wow! I'm really enjoying this thread. I can't wait for you to continue your progress reports. What a lot of beautiful hardscape materials you have!

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This afternoon, I got a lot of work done. Tomorrow I'll take new photos and post them to show my progress. It is looking so good! :)
    ~Annie

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

This Is really exciting!!! And now I'm curious about the band gig. You're in a band?

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The winter storm that has been pounding the West Coast and dumping mega-snow in the Southwest is moving into our area now. We are having thunderstorms and lots of rain. Hopefully the cold stuff and snow stays north of here. It is expected to hit Illinois and Ohio and the rest of the Midwest big time. I saw that Ohio is getting flooding. Hope everyone up that way is high and dry from this mess.

Cracking-the-concrete,
    Yes, we have a rock band. Play oldies and new stuff too. Over 80 cover-tunes and 15+ originals. Very eclectic assortment of music. Something for everyone. We have a Gig tonight up in Ponca City. It's a lot of fun and we have a good following all over the state. No one else does the old stuff and we pack the house wherever we play. We enjoy the crowds and we don't trash the place like most of the other bands do and we are polite. Everyone remarks about that too. :)

I just hope the roads don't ice up. Ponca City is in the northern part of the state and subject to get more of the cold nasty weather than we do here in Central Oklahoma. We won't finish up, tear down and pack up the trailer until around 3 in the morning. Then the long road home in those wee hours of the morning. I hope the roads aren't slippery. Gads.

Happy to have gotten a little more done in the garden two days ago. It was good timing to move plants before the rains came. Things will continue to be changed, but the rest of the project work will have to wait until next Spring.

I can't seem to make it look as formal as I had envisioned. It's still "rustic" looking. What does that say about me, I wonder? (ha ha ha) Well, it goes better with my humble little country cottage anyway, and I like the semi-formal look it is taking on. Still, it will have better form and more interesting year around appeal, I hope.

Time to go jump in the shower and get ready to go. We have to leave here by 3 to get up to Ponca by 5, set up the equipment, the lights and etc., tune up and then grab a bite to eat before the show begins at 9. Hurry, hurry, hurry.

Hope this finds everyone safe and content.

Love & Peace.
    ~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: New pics added on Dec. 2nd

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Annie- Beautiful photos!

I've noticed that although my plants are fairly 'rustic' the arches and other wrought iron structures, seems to make the garden feel a little more formal. My favorite design seems to fall between formal and informal...casual, but elegant...at least that's what I'm hoping to end up with :)

Hope your weather stays nice and enjoy the holidays!

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

Lot of work. I need to get busy on my own beds. Wet heavy snow did a job on some last year.Nice pictures.Will keep trying to post some.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Annie, it is a pleasure to watch the progress on your garden. I think that even though you say that your garden remains somewhat informal, the formal structure you are adding will bring you great satisfaction. Think of abundance contained in structure.

Rosefolly

• FlowerLady6
    12 years ago

Annie ~ I'm sure your new formal garden will be lovely surrounded by your cottage gardens. I've always been inspired by your gardens.

Enjoy the process.

Have a lovely Christmas and a great 2012.

FlowerLady

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio