Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedarglen_gw

Question...

cedarglen
12 years ago

Hi all! Well, I seem to have made an error this fall. I have a huge fenced veggie garden that was very overgrown this year. When everything died back I got what I thought was a brilliant idea, and a shortcut. I need shortcuts right now because I'm getting more hugely pregnant by the day:). Anyhow, I spent a morning blocking off my newly planted climbing roses and clematis (all growing along the garden fence), then put our two goats into the garden to do some cleanup. I assumed the goats would be most interested in the blackberry vines and whatnot, but of course they plowed through my barricades & ate my clematis plants (4!!!) to the ground. Then they pruned the climbing roses back to the main stems... And left the blackberries intact. Ha! My question is this: what can I expect in the spring? Will the clematis come back? Will the climbing roses survive? They still have those little buds along the stems. I'm new to both clematis & climbing roses... and goats, for that matter. Today when my husband was hanging a bucket Coco the goat snatched 3 nails out of his back pocket & tried to eat them. They are living up to their reputation; apparently they will eat anything!

Comments (3)

• Merilia
    12 years ago

Did you have your clematis planted deep in case of wilt? If so I'd expect it to come back. I bet your roses at least will be fine in the long run.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

IMO, they should all be fine in your zone 7. It happens in nature all the time even though the perpetrators don't have cute names like Coco! :) Mulch them up a bit and wait for spring.

I hope your goats are not expecting any kids in spring or you will have your hands full! Lol!

Ginny

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Don't know about roses but your clematis should be fine. Many clematis are Pruning types 3 and should be cut back hard every year. Some people treat Pruning type 2s (cut back to strong buds and will bloom on both new and old growth) as 3s which will delay early bloom but still have bloom on new growth. Pruning type 1 clematis only bloom on old growth so are not cut back unless one wants to rejuvenate the plant. If 1s are cut back to the ground expect new growth the next spring but no flowers until the second year.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21