Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koszta_kid

Do you have alot of Garden ART

koszta_kid
12 years ago

My things are things that are country. Iron wagon wheels crocks,iron gates,sign made out of barn boards. I did have out-house. Wet snow took it down last year. Dh going to make me a new one.

Comments (22)

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

I used to, and removed most of it last season - kind of got tired of it. Have benches left, few garden signs, bird houses, few statues, wind chimes. Maybe some day will be inspired to add more, however for now - less is more for me.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Quite a few whimsical things my kids gave me along with wind chimes on shepherd's hooks, interesting (to me) rocks & a granite garden bench.

{{gwi:432113}}

{{gwi:199300}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I don't know if you call rock garden art, but I love rock :).
    I'm also fond of wind chimes and pots, especially the earthenware ones. Other than that if I find a piece of whatever that I think would look nice in a certain spot I'll plunk it in. Not into painted or really colorfully objects with the exception of cobalt blue bottles.

Annette

• natal
    12 years ago

Annette, do you have a bottle tree?

I have a few things that blend into the environment. Nothing really stands out at first glance. You sort of stumble upon them.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Natal, I don't have a bottle tree but if I ever find one of those twisted metal frames:). I have a couple of ideas of what I'd like to do with blue bottles but I'd have to find enough bottles.

Annette

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the pictures Use to have Farmer Friend would bring tractor and bucket bring me BIG rocks. And I would haul them all over with 2 wheel cart. Dh bought me an arbor with swing. Sit there and watch all the hummers.Now watch all the cardinals at feeders.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Natal, I am with you, "less is more". Right now all I have are 3 monks in a row in my back flowerbed, I love them! Very simple...

Gardenweed, love your rockwork, that turned out great!
    ogrose

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

Start drinking a LOT of Skye vodka! Then you'll have blue bottles! LOL Nancy

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

There you go!!

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For some reason first 2 pictures didn't want to come through. Love the bench I do have many containers. I have to empty in fall. Got lot of USA flags. And have painted red,white and blue my containers. Got an old pitcher pump and hung crystals to make it look like water. Jerry made me a copper rain gauge. Looks like a real faucet+ crystals .

• User
    12 years ago

I have a blue bottle tree and other iron work things...best thing is my Revolutionary War hospital bed...it is a bed in a flower bed bed :)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Not a lot, but some.

Either man-made...

...or from nature...

{{gwi:135231}}

tj

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Most of mine is functional. I have several benches, some obelisks and trellises my DH made of copper pipe for roses to climb, a few structures for clematis, a couple of signs (one was a gift), a sundial and a wind chimes.

I'm afraid of overdoing it. It is possible to use a lot of garden art and have your garden look fabulous, but it takes a deft hand and a highly skilled eye. I just don't have the right skills, so I keep it light.

Rosefolly

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love the pictures.I did paint lot of my containers,Red ,white and Blue lot of Flag art. Oldest Son in Iraq area over 20 times. But hinted to SANTA would love a heated bird bath.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

-TJ, that gold mugo (I presume?) is gorgeous. Is that one that only gets that color in winter?

I have to say I am kind of with Natalie, less is sometimes more. But that is just because I can't stand too much clutter in general. I might be just a wee bit of a 'garden art snob' too. That's not to say I don't like the rustic decor and collections in other peoples yards (because I do), but it just doesn't reflect my own personal style/taste much.

I tend to go for art that sort of looks as if it had some sort of past or interesting story. Things that might have come from some other country or great estate (like I said, 'snob', LOL ;-)

I got two of these terra cotta "Artichokes" a couple years ago and love em'!

I also have a collection of terra cotta pots that I think is rather decorative. They are bears to lug inside for winter though, so I don't think I will be buying any more!

A lantern that I love.

Here is an armillary stake- currently residing in the middle of my 'Bean Bed'. The hummingbirds like to perch on it, which is pretty adorable!

On the shed there is a sort of scroll-y metal wall art piece. Another plaque with scroll-y metal, blue tiles, and a carved wood center (that I painted) is on the house.

I've got a couple homemade items as well.

Here is a "Living" Wreath I made out of an old hanging basket, wire, chicken wire, moss, and twigs. I'm not sure I can say it is living though, since most everything I planted in it (succulents) has up and died, LOL!
    {{gwi:690614}}

The branch/twig obelisk I made this year (which I am kind of proud of... especially since I have so little woodworking skills, lol!!)
    {{gwi:685895}}

Hope I didn't go overboard on the pics...
    CMK

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

christinmk- Glad you like the pine. Not a mugo but a small(ish) white pine.

Pinus strobus 'Greg' in summer.

tj

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

ogrose - thanks! I wanted a bench for that bed and had my eye on a couple before I settled on the granite. I thought to myself, metal will rust, wood will eventually rot. The granite will endure. It's angled so that when I sit on it I'm looking at my butterfly bed. The stone patio came about when I curved the edges of the flowerbed on either side of the bench.

Christin - love the armillary stake. What's the plant in the foreground in that shot? I made several twig & rope obelisks but as you might guess from the lack of photos, they weren't sturdy enough to last. I've drooled over a wrought iron one the past few years but can't bring myself to pay the price.

tsugajunkie - the fish and what looks like driftwood are great!

I'm lucky both my daughter and DIL are artists as well as gardeners so I often get lucky in the garden art sweepstakes. The stone owl was a mother's day gift from my daughter. My son has his own sense of design--hence the biker boot, lobster pot buoy and solid iron Somers Cleat (+ rope).

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

-TJ, Nice! Your wonderful pics with conifers actually inspired me to look around online at conifers the other day. I have been meaning to add one or two smaller types to my gardens for more winter interest!

-Eileen, thank you! Let me see...directly in front of the armilary is an Aster (purple flowered NY or New England- forget which) and the bronze leafed plant in front of it is a peony. How awesome that your kids make garden art for you! I know I said it before on another forum, but I am envious of that adorable owl, lol! I really like clever/unusual pieces like that. I know what you mean about the $ for some of the metal obelisks. I fell in love with one at a nursery in town but it was waaaay too much! That is why I decided to make make mine out of some branches I had around. Not sure how long it will last, but even if it is only for a few years I will be happy. Not as if I don't have any more branches to make more, LOL!

Love seeing all these pics of your garden art everyone!
    CMK

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Getting more ideas.We do have a couple acres. So can spread things out. Not a fancy house. Small country one.Being in colder area is hard to LUG all the containers in carport,garage or mud room. My project this winter-butter fly house. And some more blue bird houses . To put out back and got pick up load of street bricks for paths.And new picket fence for veggy garden.

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

Do my fairy gardens count?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairy Garden

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Pat_Tea - your fairy gardens are adorable! Fairy condo is my favorite - very clever.
    I think having garden art is very "cottagy". I remember reading some article that said "cute kills in a garden", but not in my opinion. I think proper placing and a right theme makes it very charming and a great conversation piece.
    ~Natalie

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I showed Dh bottle tree. said "more". Man who has up to 6 Viszla Dogs No room to talk.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County