Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Things that make you go "Hummm"

Posted by frogview00 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 10:00

It has been years since I posted here on this forum, but I come to look and admire the photos of the passions of the people and view the gardens through others eyes and minds.
As I no longer live where I had my cottage garden, I return to my photos of what I accomplished and created in my own minds eye.
I digress......

On a recent trip to the UK, I was introduced to the concept of a "painters garden" as in an artist garden. I wonder how this would be different from I call a "cottage garden".

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Things that make you go "Hummm"

Yeah I been gone awhile too, just checking in from the winter doldrums. My cottage garden is not always planned and in accord with color theory, but I was reading last nite more about Gertrude Jekyll and she planned her gardens with a painter's eye, and with great attention to color theory, shade, hue, etc. I could never pull that off, but it's so beautiful!

o

Frogview - I remember you and your garden. I have also read about many a garden created with a 'painterly' eye. I think it is very much the way a cottage gardener creates. In fact, in creating new beds, I often think of myself as 'painting' with seeds, especially with the annuals that begin my process. Cottage Garden is a way of thinking, as well as a way of gardening. Or both are the same. Or something like that!!

Nancy.

o

Hi, Nancy.
I first heard the term in regards to Duncan Grant and Vanessa bell, who were the painters (some of) of the Bloomsbury Group, early 1900's England.The house they lived in is called Charleston House and there is a website with photos of the garden. It was restored and not very "cottagey" in the term I use as cottage garden. But I'm sure it could change year to year to the artists needs.

Thanks for remembering me! I go back to 1999 here on GW. Never been a real gabber though. I do enjoy the photos and visions of the creative gardener.

Jim

Maybe I'll post an old photo or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here