Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

blooms and a couple others

plantmaven
12 years ago

heritage rose

Portmerion

Hibiscus mutablis aka confederate rose

Confed. rose shrub. This gets way too much shade. I have rooted cuttings to plant in the spring.

Maeve and her new coat. She's not wild about it. The larde black spot is her nose.

Here with the hood down, maybe a tad better.

TA DA!!!!

I broke my right foot Thursday. I will see an orthopedist next week. Myabe a cast. I hope not.

Comments (15)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Oh my!!I remember wearing a boot like that for 6 months.. then a year later having a second surgery and having to wear it again for about 3 months.

Sad to say.. you get used to it. :) I hope you don't have to wear it long!

Nice to see your blooms. Ours are gone, last I looked my roses had buds, not sure if they'll open or not since that cold front moved in.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Kathy you poor thing that must be so painful, sending you BIG hugs. I still remember the pain I had when I broke my ankle it hurt something awful. Hope it heals quickly, and you're up and at it before too long.

Gorgeous roses and Maeve is such a cutie, the only thing trying to flower around here right now is a winter flowering viburnum and the darn sparrows keep eating the flower buds so not getting much of a show :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I am sorry about the broken foot. No fun, but maybe better now than in the spring.

LOVE that first picture of Maeve-too funny.

Thanks for the reminders of what we all have to look forward to come spring and summer.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

sorry about your foot! Maeve is too cute and the blooms are lovely! Feel better soon!

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

I agree with all the above but have to add, at least your new boot goes well with your carpet. . .

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

OUCH! Sorry to hear about your foot. Here's to a speedy recovery! Maeve is such a cutie pie! She looks so comfortable in her bed.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks y'all. Yes, it does go with the rug.

In the early 70's I broke the left foot . My neighbor asked me to be his guest at their company Xmas party. I wore a long silver sparkly dress slit up the side, in a cast and on crutches. People kept asking how I broke it. I told them I did it getting out of bed. After about the 4th time someone asked, Bob said, "she had a skiing accident".
    I asked him why he said that. He said, "they don't know that we are just friends and they look at me funny when you say you did it getting out of bed". LOL!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw the orthopedist yesterday. I do not have to have a cast. The boot will suffice. I will have the boot at least 2 months.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have broken my foot twice. It did not heal to fast the second time. Good luck. Can you walk in the boot. I had a cast and it was not a walking cast. My foot atrophied and after I got it taken off, it took just as long for my muscles to come back. My husband thought I was exaggerating and playing wounded. I am not that kind a person. "Tough ol' bird" describes me better.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is very easy to walk with the boot. In about 1999 I sprained my ankle so bad that the ER doctor was surprised that it was not broke. They put me in a cast for that. It hurt much more than this does.

Fortunately, I can take the moon boot off to sleep.

Any time I have had a cast I could hardly waint to take a bath and scrub the dead skin/grunge off.

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

Yes sorry about your foot. And at Christmas time.Great pictures. Got a book on how to take better pictures. Now to just sit down and read it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Kathy, so sorry to hear about your broken foot. Nothings worse then being handicap during the Christmas Holidays. I hope you have a speedy recovery. If you need anything, just call me. Since I am retired I have so much time on my hands. Barbra

• FlowerLady6
    12 years ago

Lovely blooms Kathy. So sorry about your foot, but glad you don't have to be in a cast. I sprained both ankles at the same time and that was horrible. Double the pain. The one ankle still bothers me in certain weather and if I've done too much physical activity.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Believe it or not, vitamin D deficiency is widespread and apparently most medical doctors (I did ask them) are not aware of it. You will recover from broken bones a lot faster with vitamin D supplement esp during the winter.The rate for people with health problems is 2000 IU for every 25lbs of bodyweight (no difference than correcting vitamin D deficiency) for a few months than maintain at the rate of 1000 IU for every 25lbs of bodyweight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vitamin D and bone

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lou, I know a lot of people are unaware of low D.
    I am on an ultra high dose vitamin D. I take it once a week.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus