Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Winter Wonderland

lavender_lass
13 years ago

It was all the way up to -4 F. today, so I just took a few pictures out the window. We had about a foot of snow in the last few days...and now the sun has come out. Very pretty...but cold!

Here's a picture of my garden area...with the arches.

{{gwi:634193}}

Here's the back pasture.

{{gwi:769133}}

Here's the apple tree...you can barely see the lilac hedge behind it, because of the angle. Hopefully, I'll finally get a good picture of the lilacs, this spring :)

{{gwi:769135}}

Does anyone else have winter pictures, they'd like to share?

Comments (16)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Not right now, our snow is practically gone as of this afternoon. :(

Your pics are beautiful...peaceful. I do love snowy landscapes.

• dawiff
    13 years ago

LL, we have had snow here on the other side of the Cascades too, it has mostly melted off the trees and roads, but it's still on the grass. I took some pictures right after it fell.

I've noticed when it gets cold here (in the 20s), or when it snows, the birds mob the bird feeder and the suet feeder.

This Northern Flicker seemed to study the feeder for a while before doing a contortionist act to get the seeds.

And these cute little black and yellow Townsend's Warblers are all over the suet.

In another couple of days it will be all gone. But I bet we get more before the winter's over.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, I love your photos! Lavender, that first one is so beautiful with the little animal track marks in the snow. Dawiff, I love the bird photos. We had snow in Atlanta last week for Christmas but I wasn't here to take photos.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Great thread LL! I love your arches dusted with snow! Someone said you guys were getting blizzard like conditions the past few days?? Hope it didn't cause too much damage!

-dawiff, awwwww! I have never seen those little warblers over here before. If you have a few extras you can launch them my way ;-)

Well, I have been taking a lot of pictures lately. It has been so cold that the trees are perpetually cloaked with snow. This is the time when Eastern Washington looks its best!

Pictures taken over the past couple weeks. Some are taken at night- my favorite time to take winter pics!

Seedheads and grass

Red Sky in Morning

for some reason they chopped down that big tree in above pics. Not sure why. But guess there is no foolin' around with big trees if they have damage! This guy would cause a lot of damage if it fell down, lol!

backyard

poor redtwig dogwood fallen over. Looks like some swamp creature doesn't it, LOL!

Front tree

Ghostly Silhouette of evergreen tree

Some people like to top their trees with stars- I prefer these guys ;-)

CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Great pics everyone, no snow, sunny BUT but it is so (((cold))).

Annette

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- I think we'll both be getting more of the white stuff, in the next few weeks! LOL It's supposed to warm up to the 20s in a few days, with more snow. Very pretty, but cold...at least it's good protection for the roses. Hate to think of all this cold, without the snow.

Dawiff- Beautiful photos...especially the birds. It's so pretty, when you get snow on the west side and I think you're right, there probably will be more.

GGG- I think those are all barn kitty tracks. The deer don't come up much, until the snow melts.

Lois- Thanks...have you had any snow, yet?

CMK- I love your pictures. The sunset and snow glittering in the flash are just lovely. Very pretty :)

Annette- How cold is it? I know it always feels so much colder on the west side, from all the humidity. 25 degrees over there, feels like about 10 over here!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Lass, it's hovering around 19-20F outside our back door right now and will probably go lower. As long as it doesn't go -4F like it did last year I guess I shouldn't complain. Being right on the coast this cold goes right to the bones, come on spring.

Annette

• dawiff
    13 years ago

Lovely pictures LL! The blue skies are so pretty with the snow, but somehow it makes it look even colder. Brrrr!

CMK, Love your pictures, especially those red sky pics! Are those crows on top of the fir trees?

All the eastern Washington photos remind me of Massachusetts. I am already looking forward to Spring Sales and to the Northwest Flower and Garden Show in February.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Not much for snow here yet. We had a big storm last weekend but then it got so warm the snow is almost gone.
    I love all these photos!

LL, the first photo with all your garden structures is really great. How nice to have such interest during the winter months.

Dawiff, the bird pictures are so cute! I had no idea a flicker would even go to a seed feeder. We've never had one land on ours. Does he visit your feeder often? Or was it just this one time?

CMK, OMG!! That red sky is awesome!! And I absolutely love the birds on top of the trees. That's priceless.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

thyme2dig - I see the flicker on my gazebo feeder fairly often altho' mostly on the suet feeder. Bluejays have also adapted to grabbing the feeder to get seed. It's good to see their numbers increasing after not seeing any the past decade or so.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Such beautiful pictures! LL - I see footprints in the snow. Are they yours? I would never venture out in that cold! brrr. :) Love, love, love the bird pictures, too, dawiff and CMK.

It's been unusually warm here - more like zone 9 than zone 8 here. I have been contemplating whether to go outside in the 70 degree weather and weed. DH says the eventual freeze will kill them, but I am itching to get rid of them. It has cooled down the last day or two, but I'm sure it will be hot again soon. Here is a recent photograph of my camellias blooming:
    {{gwi:516799}}
    Do you see the little bee? Until just a few days ago, there were butterflies in the garden, too! A true rarity here in December!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those snow pictures are beautiful! We get a nice snow here eevery 10 to 15 years. But I love to see snow pics. Maybe, next year after I retire, I will be hoping for snow, but snow only means sleeping at he hospital now.

Thank you for the lovely photos. I especially love the big tree, and the photo with the arches.
    kay

• BecR
    13 years ago

What lovely snow pics LL, dawiff, and Christine. Love the birdies and sunset pics. Holley your beautious md. pink camellias remind me of my light pink Debutante camellia right now, very full of blooms. Only your cam leaves are a lot darker green. Mine sometimes bloom as early as October, but since we had such a warm Indian Summer,they waited until temps cooled off to bloom.Here's a bloom I picked last night in the dark. I went out and a hummingbird chirped at me from the bush whilst I was picking the flower--it did not fly away...

No snow here in Temecula. We have had snow here before, just a couple inches, but it is rare. Snow on Nov 1985 (before we lived here), January 2002, and Nov 2004. All snow was gone in hours. The temps get down to thirties and twenties (I've seen it in the high teens too, in my backyard), but it is usually clear then so no snow.

Becky

• BecR
    13 years ago

Here's a small peek at a little corner of our back garden, today in the rain.

The plant with the bright red berries is nandina domestica (heavenly bamboo) and the pink flowers are lacecap hydrangea (the flowers are normally white in the summertime, but age to pink). In the middle is calla lily, which will go dormant shortly as soon as it gets a little colder.

• BecR
    13 years ago

Here's a small peek at a little corner of our back garden, today in the rain.

The plant with the bright red berries is nandina domestica (heavenly bamboo) and the pink flowers are lacecap hydrangea (the flowers are normally white in the summertime, but age to pink). In the middle is calla lily, which will go dormant shortly as soon as it gets a little colder.

Sponsored