Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

need more info alyssum or gypso groundcover

louisianagal
13 years ago

I have a bunch of seed packets for gypsophila (baby's breath) and alyssum (carpet of snow). I really want to try to use as ground cover in some beds. Right now the winter weeds are coming up, even with mulch, mostly chickweed. I saw that Lavendar Lass wrote about this, but she's in zone 4. Can anyone give advice on when to sow these, the packet says in spring after last frost. But that won't help me this winter. any ideas?

Comments (8)

• natal
    13 years ago

Sorry, no help, but I think I saw alyssum in commercial flower beds around town today. Beds with pansies and snapdragons had a low-growing white flower in the front. Do you think that's what it was?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I don't grow baby's breath, but alyssum can be white, rose, lavender or dark purple...and sometimes even a mixture of white/lavender/purple (my favorite).

I haven't had much luck growing it from seed, but I have heavy clay soil and lots of birds...who eat any seeds smaller than a bean seed! LOL

Usually, I buy alyssum in six packs or even flats (on sale) but I am going to try growing my own this spring...in some little peat pots. Once you set out the little plants, they really take off, especially in cooler weather. When it gets hot, alyssum tends to stop blooming, but if you keep it watered (and probably in a little shade in your area) it will bloom again, once it cools off.

We have alyssum blooming all summer, here, but it looks best from April-June and again in September-hard frost. It can take some light frosts, so I think it will do really well for you, this time of year.

Why don't you see if you can find any at your local nursery (it's usually very inexpensive) and try some in your garden. If you like it, alyssum makes a beautiful ground cover. The plants will spread and fill in an area...and even reseed. Have fun :)

Here's a picture from last summer...most of the alyssum in this bed is lavender or white. You can see that the Hidcote lavender is a little taller and the blue flowers are lobelia...but all those shorter white and lavender clumps are alyssum! Of course, I had a lot of manure in this bed (for the baby roses) so your alyssum might not get quite this tall, but it will still bloom and be beautiful. It has a nice, light fragrance, too!

{{gwi:769327}}

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

lavender_lass,
    I love the way that bed looks.

I just toss alyssum seed when it gets warm and it comes up pretty well. I love it at the base of roses. I did not put Preen in the rose bed, but I plan to weed the bed and Preen it excerpt for the edges where I will sow alyssum seed this spring.
    kay

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kay :)

It looks like a foot of snow, right now, but I hope it looks as good next year. At least the snow is protecting my roses and lavender from the cold.

Good to know yours comes up well from seed. Maybe that will help Louisianagal with her alyssum. Do you grow baby's breath?

• natal
    12 years ago

Louisianagal, when did you sow them this year? How are they doing?

• DYH
    12 years ago

I sow my alyssum seeds after our last frost (April 15) in zone 7. So easy to grow. I do love the honey scent and masses of white blooms. It bloomed until the heat of July, took time off, and is now blooming again. This is one annual that I'll never be without. Love it and intend to use even more next year.

Cameron

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I also tuck some alyssum around the garden every year. Doesn't seem right not to. The white does best for me, the purple seems to bloom and then die out quickly.

• louisianagal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh I just saw this post re-vitalized. I winter sowed white alyssum and planted them out in spring after frost, in several beds. I would say they are doing ok, not great. I hope that when cooler weather comes they will perk up. Hopefully they will survive winter and grow bigger next year.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz