Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

Gertrude Jekyll garden

todancewithwolves
11 years ago

This past August, I had an opportunity to see many cottage gardens in England. This was one of the greatest thrills! Gertrude Jekyll garden. One of many she has in England. She has lots of pottage gardens at her estate.

Now I know where the color for Wedgwood china derives from ⦠the English sky.

Comments (11)

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Lovely! I've started a list of English gardens I want to visit. Could you share the gardens you would recommend seeing?

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just about every home in England has a marvelous cottage garden. There is no lack for eye candy anywhere in the United Kingdom. I was in the southern portion of England and I would highly recommend Leed's Castle.

:-)

• freezengirl
    11 years ago

How exciting to be able to see that! I have often day dreamed about going and seeing some of the gardens I have only seen in books-it must be time to move on to my bucket list. I think I like Gertrude Jekyll's designs more then any other designers.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I've always dreamed of such borders.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I'm glad you had a good time here, todancewithwolves. You were lucky to get some rain-free days. But I think you are a bit confused over GJ. She's has been dead a long time, so although she designed many gardens, all have been adapted and renovated over the years. You use the present tense as if she is still designing. Your picture shows 'The Salutation' which she and Lutyens designed together. She doesn't actually 'have' an estate. Her own home, Munstead Wood, is also open to the public under the National Gardens Scheme. If any of you do make it over here the 'Yellow Book' of the NGS is your bible for garden visiting.

As for 'just about every home in England' having a marvellous cottage garden I just can't understand what you saw here that makes you say that. There are some lovely gardens but most people have very ordinary gardens.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Sighhhhh.... how I would love to see that in person, I have to be satisfied with DVD's and books. Lucky you, glad you had such a great time.

Annette

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Thanks flora_uk for the info about the NGS Yellow Book.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Here, Here, Annette!

schoolhouse wrote:
    "I've always dreamed of such borders."

I'll add only, "and a house like that in the background to live in as well."

• Annie
    11 years ago

Some day I'd like to go there too, Edna!
    So happy for you, Sweetie. Sounds like a dreamy trip.
    Did you fly or go by ship?
    How was the trip?
    ((HUGS))
    ~ Annie

• NewGirlinNorCal
    11 years ago

Flora_UK- I recently read "Gertrude Jekyll's lost garden : the restoration of an Edwardian masterpiece" by Rosamund Wallinger. The owners of the house have done their best to return the grounds to the original Gertrude Jeckyll plans. From what I understand they've been pretty successfull.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manor House, Upton Grey

• Annie
    11 years ago

Hi Edna!

I know this is off your topic, but I wanted to show you your Champagne grapes. They are doing great! In 2012, they finally began producing grapes.Unfortunately, although the vines were covered in little grapes, just as they were really beginning to look like grapes, the super heat hit, and despite having some afternoon shade, it was just too hot, so my grapes shriveled. I guess I just don't know how to grow grapes in the heat. I know they grow in very hot, arid climates. Gotta study up on this.
    Maybe this year...

I just wanted to show you. Thank you for sharing them with me.
    I have some pics of the tiny grapes too. Can show you those too if you wish.
    ~Annie

Ooops! When I edited, I forgot to re-link the photo, so here you go.

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 14:24

Sponsored