Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

New Roses for 2007

todancewithwolves
17 years ago

I just received my monthly Gardener's Notebook newsletter introducing a few new roses.

"Burgundy Iceberg" florabunda, disease resistant, nearly thornless. Beautiful dark burgundy/purple flowers.

"Sky's the Limit" climber, buttery yellow large flowers, reblooms.

"Night Owl" climber, clusters of large wine/purple with bright yellow center, repeat flowering.

"Strike it Rich" disease resistant, award winning, very long elegant buds of deep golden yellow polished with rosy orange pink.

What to pick???? I love them all.

Edna

Comments (20)

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

I think you know the answer to this question is "get them all"...

Since we are on the topic of roses, today I received a mail from Peter Beales Roses in England (where I buy my roses) and in it he announces a partnerhip with Ashdown Roses of South Carolina, thus making his offer available in America. Thought you might like to know and check Ashdown's website.

Eduarda

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh no, I'm in trouble now. Gotta go to check out the website.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They have everything! I had no idea there were so many shade tolerant roses. I could spend hours browsing their site.

• homenovice
    17 years ago

la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

(fingers in my ears)

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

lol Anne!

Edna I just HAD to find some photos of your roses. They just sounded so lovely. On my last try I found all of them on one site. I hope you'll pardon me for putting a link to them here (there are a couple more roses mixed in!).

Patti

Here is a link that might be useful: Soon to be Edna's roses :-)

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

LOL, Anne and Edna! Glad I could be of some assistance! :-) Now I hope to see the results of my mild enabling. Anne, if I recall, you were looking for a plant for a container, have you checked the "good for pots" area of that website? Hint, hint!

Edna, what can I say? Your cottage screams antique roses for me - a couple of noisettes draping the arch maybe?

Sweet dreams, friends! :-)
    Eduarda

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh they're even prettier on your link. Did you see that Rhapsody in Blue!?!

You have to check out this link also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eduarda's roses

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Edna ~ I loved "Sky's the limit", "Night Owl", "Strike it Rich".

Roses just do 'something' to me. Sigh. I think my favorite here was "Night Owl".

Due to gardening on a shoe string, I'm making cuttings of my favorite roses to add more to our gardens. Today 'Chrysler Imperial has been scenting the gardens. I've got some cuttings of it and Maman Cochet, hopefully rooting in my little mini green house.

Roses are an addiction!!! I think all of these mentioned would be lovely in your cottage gardens Edna.

FlowerLady

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Have you ladies checked out Chamblees Roses in Tyler, Texas?
    I have bought from them the last two years, maybe 10 roses, and all have done extremely well. They are all own-root cuttings that take off rapidly. Their price is much cheaper than some, $8.95 - 9.95 a bush. I have found them to be very good to deal with. They might especially be good for you living in warmer zones....Eduarda...lots of tea roses (which I can't have).

Browsing their website is another way to pass the winter months.

Here is a link that might be useful: roses

• debbieca
    17 years ago

I agree about Chamblee's. The first year experience with them was totally different than other roses I have bought bareroot from local stores.
    The opportunity to have a partnership between Ashdown and England will be a great opportunity as well.
    The rose I really want is Summer Song, an Austin not yet available in the US.

I made an awesome bouquet this week from floribunda Trumpeter, Gartenmeister Bonsteder Fuschia, and the buds of limonium. Like Diana had said last spring, the floribundas sure do pump out the flowers.

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Okay you guys, I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard. Here is where my zone 2 becomes a BIG problem. :-((

It will be so nice to see your garden pics with some of these roses in. Lucky you!

Going on to other threads now...to save my keyboard from shorting out. :-)

Sierra

• angelcub
    17 years ago

LOL, sierra! You just stick around, we'll find you plenty of roses to grow in z2b. : )

Debbie, I knew you'd love Trumpeter. It's a bloomin' machine. There is a nursery in So.Ca. on route 66 (Foothill) that has a hedge of them out front. It's the most beautiful sight. Talk about enabling your customers.

Rhapsody in Blue - "Yet the trials showed the elusive beauty to be true to her English upbringing, having a definite preference for cool conditions." Sounds like Westerland wearing a different color. I will definitely put it on my list. : )

Diana

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Speaking of Westerland, Diana, you enabled me into buying one last year from Chamblees. It grew from a cutting to about 36 inches first season. I put it on the west side of the house next to the brick chimney. Now have to figure some good companions for it....maybe daylilies. I couldn't detect fragrance last year....hope that changes. It sure was disease free for me.

I still have some garden fence to cover....may have to check out these new ones. I have been trying to stay with old garden roses and disease-free ones like Buck roses.

• balsam
    17 years ago

Sierra, I'm like you - drooling over the lovely roses I just can't have. Even here in zone 5 (Canada) it just gets way too cold during winter for some things to winter over, even if they are classed for "zone 5 :(((

There are some really good spots to buy hardy roses, though. I think you said before that you have some of the Explorer series? Here is one of my favourite websites for roses - this place is within 1.5 hrs of me and I go down about once a year, but I've also bought their products locally and you can mail order, I think. Very good quality stock.

Cornhill nursery: http://www.cornhillnursery.com/

Anyone else with good sources for hardy roses?

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Have you tried Pickering in Canada. They should have lots hardy ones and lots of the Canadian roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Roses

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Thanks for the Canadian sites, I'll definately bookmark them.

Yes I have some explorer roses and some Morden roses. I would like to test more of the hardy own root roses.

I have a dream of a lovely climbing yellow rose climbing over the arch in the yard.........I did say dream! :-)

Sierra

• balsam
    17 years ago

Sierra - two roses that I've got are rated for zone 2 - Scotch Pink and Blanc Double de Coubert. The Scotch Pink is a delicate but thorny small bush with fine, dark green leaves and single/double pale pink blossoms. I've also heard it referred to as "Dog Rose". Since I got it from Kings Landing Historical Settlement, I'm not positive of it's identity, but it fits the Scotch Rose description.
    The Blanc Double de Coubert was one of my first and is one of my favourites. You can't beat this one for blooming. It starts to turn green in late April/early May here, and is blooming by June. Gorgeous, double white blooms cover the 4 foot canes until after several hard frosts in fall. I've seen it bloom until late October here! The scent is heavenly - a real old-fashioned rose smell. The canes are quite thorny and they sucker easily (but that just means more roses to share).

I've also looked at Pickering and will likely order from them in the spring. Their pricing is good.

Balsam

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Thanks Balsam, I have never heard of Scotch Pink...I'll definately look that one up.

The Wal-mart here usually gets some good roses in large pots in early spring....If I get there as soon as they come in, they are in pretty good shape....so I have got several from there.....at a good price and there is no shipping costs. Its a matter of buyer beware though.

Sierra

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

Edna, one other thing I just remembered - chinas and old teas are virtually evergreen in climates such as ours and quite often bloom in the middle of Winter. My Lady Hillingdon (old tea) often blooms around Christmas time and into January. Mutabilis (china) is currently pumping out new canes and setting buds. Old Blush (another china) is said to be The Last Rose of Summer, as in the poem, and again blooms sporadically year round for me. Another thing to take into consideration for a mild climate such as ours. And BTW, I never spray any sort of stuff on my roses.

Eduarda

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eduarda - I have several buds on my Austins but the rain has rotted them before they opened. They hardly bloomed during the summer which goes to show I hadn't watered them deeply enough. I'll have to try chinas and old teas.

Edna

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio