Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Old, slightly neglected gardens...do they appeal to you?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I was helping my mom go through some of her old magazines (the beginning of cleaning up for the new year) and in a Cottage Living from 2008, I found an interesting article about a garden in Oregon. The gal said she loves "the look of an old, slightly neglected garden" probably because she had two grandparents' gardens she visited as a child...one very refined and organized and one more unkempt, but still tended. She says she always had more fun getting lost in the wilder one.

As I read the article and looked at some of the pictures (lots of perennials growing together, with vines and shrubs in the back...I thought that I've always prefered slightly neglected gardens, too. There's something so charming and almost fairy tale like, about a garden that is a bit overgrown and shady in spots...with paths that wander through, with moss overgrowing the old bricks or stones. Since I can't afford to pave right now, I mow the grass in paths, but I keep all the beds a bit overgrown and even let a few weeds bloom, if they're pretty and bring in good bugs :)

So, what about you? Do these types of gardens bring to mind fairy tales, or maybe a secret garden, when hidden by shrubs or walls? Do you ever set out to recreate this in the garden? Do you like shrubs for privacy and vines growing over structures? And like me, do such gardens always look like they have a history to them...even if they're not that old? Thanks for responding and have a wonderful New Year...with lots of fun gardening!

Comments (13)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Yes, I do like that slightly wild, unkempt look. I have always wanted a stone wall with an old wooden door in it. I think they invite one to explore what marvels they may hide. Every trait you mentioned appeals to me--moss, meandering paths, all of it.

What a nice way to spend a cold December evening this is lass: imagining how to do something similar in my own yard. Thanks!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cyn- I'm so glad you like it...and you're coming up with ways to add something similar, into your garden :)

When I read this article, I came right over to the computer to tell all of you about it. How great is it, to have GW friends, who want to talk about gardens...as much as I do!

• scully931
    12 years ago

I second the idea of a stone wall with a wooden door. One with a curved top! My garden is only about five years old, but it -at times- achieves that slightly neglected look. Haha. You're right... It does look like magical. :-)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Hummm...I guess it depends. To me, there is something kind of sad about a very neglected looking garden, as if the person(s) who had so lovingly cared for it before were no longer able to, for whatever reason.

Now a purposefully "untidy" and "wild" looking garden I can appreciate. I'm not one to over primp my plants or take meticulous pains at some garden chores (*ahem!* edging and mowing, lol!). I do think my garden LOOKS better when I do all the upkeep and tidying up (etc), but it doesn't always allow one to get the chance to actually sit back and soak up all the beauty. To me, slightly untidy gardens look more like the owner insn't stressing out about every little detail but having fun and enjoying it, not having it around as a show garden to keep up with appearances or the neighbors!

-Scully, I guarantee you will love seeing this link!!! If my picket fence and gate ever break down by the side of the house I might have to think about doing something similar...
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: wooden door and stone arch

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a picture from the magazine...just to give you an idea. I like the way the rock path is overgrown with moss and all the different types of foliage. This is more of a close up, but it shows all the plants, growing together and looking very lush. In the smaller pictures (didn't really scan well) you can see there are shrubs and vines in the background :)
    {{gwi:770166}}From Lavender's Garden

• scully931
    12 years ago

CMK - Now THAT is an archway! :-)

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

Lass, I love that little garden and would love to stroll the path. To me it looks old but still loved and cared for. When you first described it I thought "oh how sad" and I wanted to jump right in and show it some love. . .LOL!

• teakettle2
    12 years ago

Lass-
    I knew exactly what article you were talking about when I read your post. I have chased my DH around the house for years with it. I ordered the double loop ornamental fence she had around her garden and finally had it installed this year.
    It reminds me of my grandmother's garden. She lived on the coast so I think it is a bit easier for you folks to achieve this than those of us who live in the fiery furnace all summer. But I try.
    That planned untidy garden needs to be almost as carefully planned as that old Bed Head hair look that was so popular a few years back.
    Thank you for sharing this, I loved Cottage Living magazine and still have all my copies.
    Tea

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Funny you mentioned Cottage Living Mag - I just ordered a subscription to it.
    Slightly neglected gardens have their charm - as long as they are "slightly" neglected on purpose, not negligence. Cottage gardens should be a bit "messy". Though for me, who is a control and tidiness freak - is not an easy task :). I do like spilling over plants, and when nature mixes them together in waves and natural bouquets, unexpected (nice) surprises.
    CMK, I L O V E the arch and wooden door!!! Spent an hour looking at the charming photos in that link. Wow! Thank you!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

-LL, I can see why you were so charmed by the picture! I really like the flatish stones imbedded into the ground for a pathway...

-Scully & Natalie, glad you liked the pic/link! Natalie, there is some great ideas and inspirational pics on that site for sure. They even have other categories, like crafts&diy, interior design, fashion, etc. You can loose several hours on that site and not even realize it, lol!
    CMK

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CMK- I just went and looked at your link...and it's wonderful! I LOVE that door, with the clematis growing up the side of the wall. That's my style, exactly :)

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

That door is great; and so are the responses. I turned away from the computer screen for a second and glimpsed myself in a mirror across the room: exact match for a neglected garden - old, unkempt, weedy and ramshackle. They say that as a pet and its owner age, they get to resemble each other. In this case, a garden and its gardener become look-alikes.

Carol

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Funny, Carol!

I love all the pictures, too. I may try to find an old arched door (agree that is a must!) to attach to the fence. Once I plant around it and over it, maybe it will give the impression of an old door in a wall???

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator