Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Thinking about taking some gardening classes...

lavender_lass
11 years ago

It's been so crazy around here the last several months that I'm thinking when everything finally calms down, it might be fun to take a couple of classes. My brother is going back to school for a different career...and I'm kind of envious. I'm so happy for him, but I've also been thinking that my current job is not my dream job. While it's been important to help my husband get his business started, it's not really my choice of careers.

So, I'm thinking about taking a few gardening classes, maybe some landscaping and a few environmental studies classes. If I do this, it won't be until spring...but I'm kind of excited about it. I'd still be helping my husband (at least for a while) but maybe I could do some seasonal garden/design work, once I finish my classes.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with all of you...maybe because I think you'll understand this more than my non-gardening friends. Has anyone else taken gardening classes? Did you enjoy them? I'm mainly interested in gardens that do well in our extreme climates and designing organic gardens to attract all kinds of wildlife...from birds and butterflies to bees and toads. Maybe even come up with a few ways to keep deer out of the roses and get those pesky yellow jackets in a better mood. But mainly, to encourage hedge rows and other environmentally friendly areas to promote natural habitats, even in the suburbs :)

Comments (12)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

Taking courses is fun! Because of my disabilities, taking 'normal' in-person courses are difficult - plus there aren't any good ones nearby. So I've taken several landscape design courses through the University of Guelph's Open Learning on-line courses. U of G is a very well respected agricultural university in Ontario, Canada. There have been several students from the US in the courses I've taken - as well as students from elsewhere around the world. The 'classroom discussion' in the courses happens via the internet on a forum in a format much like this. It's not quite the same quality of interaction as in a 'real life' classroom but it's pretty good. Hopefully there are good 'real' classes in your area, but if not, U of G might be a good alternative to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Guelph on-line horticultural courses

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Good for you, I think it is a great idea! Also, having seen your posts on the home forum, it's obvious you are very creative, and I'll bet you would do great in either of these areas.

• valree3
    11 years ago

Go for it and take classes! I took 'master gardening' classes from Nev Cooperative Extension a looong time ago and now that I have more free time(kids are grown up) I think that if I lived closer to a larger city I would love to take landscape and gardening classes! You meet interesting people and even if you never get a job doing what you want to study for, you'll never forget the knowledge that you have learned. If you have the time for these classes and there close enough to you, take them and have fun with them!!! Val

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woodyoak- Online classes are a great idea...especially while my husband is still recuperating. The Community Colleges in our area have a few that might work and they also have something called hybrid classes. I guess you go into school at times, but also do a lot of the work online. And thanks for the link!

Ogrose- Thank you for the kind words. I really like gardening, but I think I approach it much like interior design (which I learned from my mom). I try to keep the garden balanced and a bit structured (I like to use vertical elements) and also use similar colors and plants to tie the beds together. I also like to throw in a bit of the unexpected :)

Valree- That's a very good point...even if I don't start a different career, it will be valuable information for my own gardens. I'm hoping to get my friends more excited about gardening, too...but maybe that will happen as their kids get older. If you'd like to take more classes, have you thought about online, too?

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I don't take the classes, I teach them! Actually I've moved through from teaching into public speaking and lecturing but I taught a variety of gardening classes for about 6 years.
    My friend took master gardener and really enjoyed it. She has also taken a 6 week intensive organic gardening class at a local suburban farm, she enjoyed that too.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

I've never taken formal gardening classes altho gardening has been a lifelong passion for well over 60 years and I've read a lot of books and magazines, picked a few brains, and more recently found so much info online. I used to want to do the Master Gardeners' course but it's not offered here in this backwoods area. I don't think it would benefit me much at this stage of my gardening life anyhow and I have so many other interests that take my time.

I'm hoping to get my friends more excited about gardening, too

Do you have a Garden Club in your area? IMO it can be a great learning experience for anyone, and especially for beginner gardeners. It might be a way to interest your friends if you all went together. Also for me was a good source of plants as everyone would freely give their extras. When we moved here from warmer zones it was a great help to me to learn which plants grew well here. Connecting with like-minded people is also great.

I've finally gotten the solution to the deer problem and that is 7' tall fencing around my main garden. Nothing else worked well for me. As far as the yellow jackets I've never heard of anything that gets them in a 'better mood' LOL but seldom have a problem here. However I'm learning to place those plants that bees love away from my patio. Hated sitting there and having all that buzzing going on and wondering if I'd get stung.

• freezengirl
    11 years ago

Go for it! You will never regret it.

• koszta_kid
    11 years ago

I wish they had more gardening classes that was close.I am going to Garden Winter Fair at Kirkwood college in Cedar Rapids. I bet class for Drought. Fills up fast.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Lavender Lass, 12 years ago or so my best friend's husband suddenly died from cancer. He was diagnosed and died three weeks later. Our children were best friends and their daughter told my daughter that I had to get her mom out of the house. I gathered 12 friends together and started Breakfast in the Garden. Each Saturday morning in the summer we would meet at someone's house for breakfast at 8 am! We all had children at home, so we needed to get done early so we could return to our families. Only one of my friends was really into gardening, but all the rest jumped on board. Everyone wanted a beautiful garden to share. We are still meeting, although we now meet at 9 am, sometimes 11 for brunch, sometimes for dinner, Christmas tea, you get the idea, we have evolved. Maybe something like that would spur your friends to get involved with gardening.

• freezengirl
    11 years ago

Bev2009 that is an excellent idea! I think I might use it myself. It is so hard to go through major life changes, it takes a while to find equilibrium again. Gardens just by their beauty, physical labor, creativity and nature are a very soothing place to be, even for non-gardeners. I have been undergoing cancer treatment since April. It meant I had to leave my home in Alaska to come back to Minnesota. I was not able to work in the gardens at all by doctors orders. My dear daughter did all the work caring for the extensive gardens here, but insisted I come out with her and advise her. I know she didn't really need me to help her since she has developed into a first class gardener herself over the years. Her insistence on me being out and about in the garden though kept me going when I thought I could not. I am well on the road to recovery now and looking forward to spring and garden season again. Having a lovely gathering of friends and family for the renewal and rebirth is just a perfect way of celebrating!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bev- That's such a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Freezengirl- Your daughter not only learned to garden from you, but I suspect that's also where she got her sweet nature. I'm so glad you're getting better and will enjoy your garden, this spring :)

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

I did three years and now have the Royal Horticultural Society National Diploma. My course was 1 day a week - ist year, general horticulture, 2nd year- :Advanced and plant science, 3rd year, management and supervisory - I do teach classes during the evening now. Quite apart from the knowledge, the confidence I gained and the contacts I made were priceless - definitely try it out but try and go to classes rather than online - that personal interaction is brilliant.

Sponsored