Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Life goes on..

plantmaven
13 years ago

I have debated, since Sunday, whether to share this with my cottage friends.

My darling daddy passed away on Sunday morning.

He was 92 and 6 mos. A nice long life. Perhaps some of y'all will remember that he remarried at age 87. His wife has been so good to and for him. He left behind 3 children, 9 grandchildren, 15 great grandchildren and 3 great great grandchildren.

Today my oldest child turned 50. And was the only grand named for Daddy.

Daddy walked from Oklahoma to the Texas/Mexico border, when he was about 18, with his saddle over his shoulder.

We will have his memorial tomorrow.

Comments (30)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, I'm so very sorry. You have posted about your Daddy and told us all how much he meant to you. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I loved your stories about your Daddy because he seemed like such a wonderful person and a great character.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Kathy, my sincere sympathies, I wish I could be there to give you a great big (((hug))). Even though he had a nice long life it's hard to say those goodbyes. Cherish those memories, you'll always have those.

Annette

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, my friends.

I am having problems with p'bucket. So let's see if this link works.

This was taken years ago at a staged scene.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daddy

• trailrunner
    13 years ago

Ah Kathy, my heart goes out to you. My Daddy was 92 and 8 months when he passed in 2002. He and your Dad sound much alike. I send you a big hug and thank you for sharing with us. c

• BecR
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear your Dad passed away, Kathy. He did have a good long life, and you will have many memories to treasure, always. My dad passed away at age 92 and 8 months in 2005, just eleven days before his first grandchild was born. He was a great guy, just as your Dad was, and will always be sorely missed. Sending a big hug your way. Becky XX

• BecR
    13 years ago

oops I meant to say that my father passed away eleven days before his first Great-grandchild was born...

• thinman
    13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your daddy, Kathy. It doesn't seem to matter how old we are, when our parents go there is always a hole left behind in our lives. My folks have been gone for a number of years now, and I still think of things I'd like to ask them but can't.

ThinMan

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Sorry for your loss, he must have been an interesting man.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, but he sounds like a man, who lead a very full and interesting life. I know you will miss him.

At some point, I would love to hear more about the story of his trek from Oklahoma to Mexico, with a saddle over his shoulder. What an accomplishment!

• natal
    13 years ago

Kathy, my condolences on your loss. Sounds like your dad lived a good life.

I lost my mom (a few months shy of 92) a couple years ago. Even though we lived 1000 miles apart we talked regularly. I miss those conversations so much!

• ianna
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too would love to hear about his life, the trek and adventures.

Ianna

• Eduarda
    13 years ago

Kathy, so sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I know he lived a long life, but it's always hard to see our parents go and it's particularly heartbreaking when it happens around Christmas time. My deepest condolences to you.

Eduarda

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am home, and I thank each of you for your kind words.
    As Daddy was cremated, there was no casket. I must tell you that this made the serivce much easier.
    My stepsister sang "Amazing Grace", acapella. Talk about amazing!

I am handling this much better than I had expected. I suppose it is because I know he is finally at peace.

As the minister began to read his obit the microphome made an electronic thumping noise. She stopped and started over, and it did it again.

We decided it was Daddy telling us he got "there" ok.

Kathy

• todancewithwolves
    13 years ago

:-(

((((HUGS))))

Edna

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

(((Kathy)))
    Sounds as if your dad was a pretty amazing fellow! Lucky you to have had him for so long-not that that makes it any easier. Wishing you much joy and many smiles as you remember him with those stories.

Cynthia

• memo3
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, dear ((Kathy))

MeMo

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    glad you've posted it. We are here to share our gardens and our hearts as well...
    You have been blessed with wonderful memories - may they keep you warm and comfy for many years to come.
    ~Natalie

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Deepest condolences. It's a hard time of year to lose someone you love . . . .

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Kathy - life does indeed go on, as we all know. To lose such an extrodinary person from your life is difficult, but to have known someone like that, precious!! Hold the memories in your heart, to ease the loss.

Nancy.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, again to all of you.

I do have great memories.

When I was about 4 I had a nightmare that a "tall" man was going around breaking little girls' arms. Daddy heard me crying and sat on the bottom bunk with me. After I told him what I dreamed, He said, "you know there is no one taller than me". I said, "Oh, Ok" and went right back to sleep.

The firemen always collected and repaired toys for Christmas. These and fresh citrus were delivered by "Santa" on a firetruck. I remember what a thrill it was to ride on that truck with Daddy.

One time I was sick and would not eat. Daddy left and went to town. He came home with fruit kolaches, as he knew I loved them.

One of the funniest Daddy stories is about he and my uncle always running to the fire station when the siren went off.
    Daddy always beat Uncle Johnny. One time Uncle was at the front of the packing shed and Daddy at the back (about a block away). Uncle said he took off running and thought he had him beat that time. Another fireman came driving by and Daddy jumped on his car's running board. As he passed Uncle, he just waved at him.

Not a memory, as I was too young. I was 2 1/2 months premature and had breathing problems. My doctor was 2 towns away. They took me to the doctor and on the way I quit breathing. Daddy pulled into a service station to ask where a doctor was in that town. The man left his station and rode on the running board to show Daddy where the doctor lived. When Daddy knocked on the door, the doctor latched the screen and told him he did not take patients at his home. Daddy inform him that he would take this one and pulled the screen off the door.
    I guess that scared him as he did see me. He cleaned the phlem from my throat and said, " I guess she will live until you get to your doctor.

I will be in Houston with my youngest grands for Christmas.

Happy Hanukkkah and Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Kathy- I have so enjoyed these stories about your Daddy. What a wonderful man and great father!

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, but please feel free to share any more stories, as my husband and I have both enjoyed them so much. I'm also going to tell my own Dad about them...he's down in Florida, now, but was originally from South Carolina...and your Daddy sounds a lot like his father, my grandfather :)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On my 50th birthday Mother and Daddy drove up from their house to visit. (5 hours).
    We went out to dinner. Once we were home, I went to the ladies room. When I opened the door there stood about 10 people holding a birthday cake.

Before getting to my house he had stopped at my friend's and given her money to go buy a cake to surprise me. While we were out she gotten a cake and rounded up several of the friends and neighbors.
    Needless to say, I was surprised!!!

Once I had planted a Texas wisteria. But had yet to decided what it should grow on. There was a discussion on how strong the wisteria gets.
    The next week here came Daddy with a piece of extra heavy/strong chain link fencing tied on top of his car. Again this was a 5 hour drive here and 5 hours back.
    He was a retired district super for the TX highway dept.
    He had gone out to the dept. salvage yard and found a piece salvaged highway grade fencing for me.
    We had galvanized poles on the patio. He brought clamps and clamped the fencing to those.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

Dear Kathy ~ I am sorry to hear of the loss of your dear father. I remember when he got married. You have LOTS of wonderful memories locked inside your heart of the loving relationship that you shared.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

• susie_gardener_2007
    13 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Daddy. I have truly enjoyed reading your stories about him.

Love from Oklahoma,
    Susie

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susie, What part of Oklahoma are you located?
    Daddy was born in Bryan towntship, in Lincoln County in 1918.
    His father made one of the last land lotteries. He was one of the orininal land owners of Lincoln county. Kickapoo area called Black Jack Farm.
    My granddaughter lives in Edmond and works in Guthrie. She and her husband of 3 1/2 years are expecting the first baby Feb. 1.

• susie_gardener_2007
    13 years ago

I live in Sawyer, OK, just about 30 miles from Paris, TX, where I was born and grew up. Congratulations on the expected great-grand baby!

• Annie
    13 years ago

Kathy darling. I wanted to come on here and tell you once again how sad I am about your Daddy. He was a dandy alright!
    I hope that you will write all those wonderful stories down to pass on to your children, grandchildren and so on. They are priceless gifts to give for future generations who will never have the blessing of knowing him personally, but can learn about him and come to love him through your precious stories, just as we all have.

Take care sweet lady.
    Love you Honey.

~Annie Okie

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. He does sound like a one-of-a-kind guy.

Hope you do make sure to write down and pass along those stories about your remarkable Dad. You never know what future family member will appreciate them. Perhaps you could also plant a tree or do something else in his memory that he would have especially appreciated.

(((plantmaven)))

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my mother at age 92 in November, and yes, it's sad, and what a great generation they were! Their character and ethics are irreplaceable.

ogrose

• downeastwaves
    13 years ago

Kathy, sorry to read about your Daddy. Did he write down or tell about his walking adventure?

Sponsored