Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

I'm getting two roses for my birthday :)

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Since it's been difficult to get into town (long story) my husband asked me what I'd like for my birthday, today. Well, if I have to get something online...I want roses! LOL

So, I'm getting Cottage Rose (from David Austin) and Ebb Tide! I'll pick them up from Northland Rosarium this spring, but I'm so excited to be getting roses, in December :)

Comments (19)

• Cher
    12 years ago

Happy birthday and nice gift indeed.
    Cher

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Good choice! Happy Birthday!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday, LL, a wonderful gift, enjoy!! I love getting stuff like this...

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday. I can't think of anything nicer than two rose bushes. . . beats a dozen roses like the girly girls get. LOL.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

A happy rosey birthday to you! What a lovely gift as well and a thoughtful husband too!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday! I love David Austin roses.

Kathy

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Hey, Happy Birthday Lass! That is a perfect gift for a cottage gardener, I'll have to look those roses up in the David Austin rose catalog I have.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LL!
    Yeah, I can't get why anyone would wan't a bunch of flowers that would die when you could get a PLANT that will give you flowers for years to come! I've seen that 'Ebb Tide' and the color is amazing.

Hope everything is getting back to normal for you, what with that car crashing into your house.
    Congrats on the new roses! ;-)
    CMK

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for the happy birthday wishes and I told my husband you all loved his gift! He was a little concerned it was 'too easy' since he didn't have to go shopping for me...so I told him he could get me roses for Christmas, too :)

CMK- Life isn't exactly normal yet, but it's getting there. We hope to start working on the house next week...just waiting on the insurance company.

Schoolhouse- Both roses should be in the David Austin catalog...I know Ebb Tide was in an earlier issue, although it's a floribunda. Here are a few pictures.

Cottage Rose, which has an old rose fragrance... {{gwi:618485}}From Lavender's Garden

Ebb Tide, which is supposed to have a clove fragrance... {{gwi:343042}}From Lavender's Garden

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Hmmmm, must not have hit the submit button, oh well here goes again...
    Birthday greetings from me too :). You lucky girl, two BEAUTIFUL roses and such a thoughtful DH for giving you such a lovely gift.

Annette

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Annette :)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Happy belated B-Day! LOVE those roses!!!

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

I got a fancy purse for my birthday - you want to trade it for your roses? :) Whatever I see - purses, clothes, shoes - the first thing comes to mind - how many perennials, shrubs, rose bushes, bags of fertilizer I can get instead.
    Natalie

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Calamity J- Thank you :)

Natalie- No...sorry! LOL I know what you mean...I just want plants and garden center gift certificates, anymore. Maybe you'll get some roses, for Christmas!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, we're finally getting the house repaired (I hope) next week, but haven't bought a vehicle yet...so Christmas shopping is not even finished. I'm going in today to get a few gifts, but my husband said...I don't supposed you'd what more roses? And, I said, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!! I mean, sure honey, that would be just fine :)

So, I decided to get some more old-fashioned roses, for the back of the garden. They only bloom once a year, but they're just beautiful. Here are a few pictures (none of them from my garden)...and I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

Queen of Denmark (an alba) {{gwi:770678}}From Lavender's Garden

Ispahan (a damask) {{gwi:770680}}From Lavender's Garden

Celsiana (also a damask, but the flowers change from pink to white, as they get older) {{gwi:324015}}From Lavender's Garden

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Excellent choice! Merry Christmas everyone!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love the old roses and David Austin nouveau old roses.

natalie4b, I like flowers better than clothes, too. Last year my coworkers had to remind me to buy some new clothes because they were tired of looking at the same sweaters for the last 4 years. Flowers are such a good value; they never go out of style.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Lois, I can so relate to "the same sweaters for the last 4 years"! We, gardeners, have our priorities: I recently got rain boots for working in a garden after the rain. Now - that is a good investment. New quality shovel - another good one. New sweater? Not unless it can be used in winter while checking out if anything else is pocking out of the ground, and cleaning up beds.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lois and Natalie- I should probably get some new clothes, too, before spring. I agree about the gardening boots and maybe a new pair of jeans and a couple of sweaters...but all definitely gardening related :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting