Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedogsmom

a few pics from this past season

threedogsmom
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have not been very active on the forums this year and I have a renewed feeling about gardening in 2012. I didn't do too much to the gardens in 2011 other than general maintenance, and just got around to doing final cleanup today in warm 50 degree weather. Last year I dug out a small area for a square-foot garden and grew some veggies it it, but the stinkbugs took over around mid-summer and that was the end of that. I had a few new lilies I planted that bloomed for the first time last summer so I am including a pic of those. Here are some pics from the spring and summer of 2011 for your enjoyment:

Thanks for looking. I hope to be more diligent in picture taking this year, and to make some additions to a couple of the shadier beds this coming year. Happy New Year, everyone!!

Amy

Comments (10)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Amy, those pics are beautiful! Love the hollyhock and lillies! I have not even really started any "real"gardens yet but rather a collection of things growing in my yard, so any gardens like yours look scrumptious to me! Thank you so much for sharing them! Next year is another year.....coming very soon too! :)

Ginny

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE clematis and lilies! I have been thinking of growing clematis up my fruit trees since they don't do much of anything anyways, (They are like 8-10yrs old and I get nuthing!) Has anyone done that? Grew vines like that up the fruit tree? I saw an article of someone growing a squash on a fruit tree. Love your isris and hollyhocks too! Heck Love it all! The gerainumns too!

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Amy, those clematis wrapping around birch tree are fabulous! Love your beds and plant combination, use of height, rocks, colors - just lovely! Happy New Year!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Is that last pick a shrub clematis?

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Doubles and Freckles and Frills, oh my! I certianly do remember your garden from last time! Wasn't the little fence to keep your dog (Great Dane wasn't it) out?
    Like the colors you used. Your golden spiderwort (love the clematis pairing, burgundy/purple with gold is my favorite!) is incredible. Mine is a minute thing compaired to yours!
    Great pics...thanks for sharing with us to get our gardening juices flowing again!! ;-)
    CMK

• threedogsmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the last pic has a bush clematis in the foreground. I found that at a garden center and it took a few years to establish itself, but it's a pretty cool little plant.

The Great Dane is now going on 5 years old and we have a new garden helper who will turn 3 in mid-January. He is a black English Labrador who wreaks havock on my gardens in winter when I take the fencing down. He runs through them, pees on things, chews on things... I can't wait to put the fencing back as soon as I start to see signs of spring. But the gardens seem to take all the abuse pretty well, so I guess all his abuse isn't too awful. Now when things wake up and start growing again, that's when I am very protective of the plants.

I have heard that we will have a mostly mild winter along the PA/MD line so hopefully spring will come early, as long as it's not too wet.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

You have a delightful garden. 'Bushy Blue Bell' clematis, clematis integrifolia, is a favorite in my garden. Love the color of that iris.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

WOW! Beautiful photos of a beautiful garden. I love, love, love the clematis climbing up the birches!

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

Boy I want to get better at taking close up pictures. Yours are great. Going to have trouble with DH year old yellow Lab staying out of beds. Never had trouble with our Viszlas. Just had to say NO.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Wow! I love your pictures. I especially love the birch tree. And your clematis are so pretty too!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists