Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

You know you miss gardening, when.....

lavender_lass
12 years ago

You know you miss gardening, when you catch yourself thinking fondly...of weeds!

You know, some of them are actually pretty, when they have those little white flowers blooming. They sure bring in the ladybugs. Some of the blue green leaves make a nice contrast with the other foliage. And, they do keep the deer out of the roses...

I really need to get a winter hobby! :)

Comments (18)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

You know you miss gardening when you sit outside on a patio chair nor nearly an hour, looking longingly at the flower beds!!! Yes, I did this last week on one of the sunnier/warmer days, lol! ;-)
    CMK

• valree3
    12 years ago

I had sinus surgery 2 weeks ago and you know you miss gardening, when I woke up from the anaesthesia thinking about monkshood flowers and where I should put them in my garden!

• chickadee_42us
    12 years ago

You know you miss gardening when you pull into your driveway from work and it's dark and you cannot see your beds to determine if they need attention from whatever havoc came through that day - rain to much, wind blown to much, etc.

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

If it's still not snowing will work in gardens Friday. If cold will wear heavy stocking cap and snow suit on.

• pufftrinket
    12 years ago

Try wintersowing! It totally fulfills that urge for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing forum

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

When you go outside to see what the yard is looking like, and spot spring bulbs popping up...so you run around and try to find/remember where you planted all the other spring bulbs; to see what else is poking up!!!

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

I looked at pictures people had from last year this time. 20 inches of snow on ground. I got to buy some potting soil. Got some rubeckia cherry red to plant. And I am going to get watering can out and water mums I planted Thanks giving.Got them covered.

• cedarglen
    12 years ago

When you spend several hours weeding and cutting back on Dec. 30th... in the cold... and you're 6 months pregnant! I sure enjoyed it though :).

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Congratulations, cedarglen! What a happy spring you will have!

I am devouring last year's plant catalogues in anticipation. Not ordering yet, though! Well, except for some hostas I ordered last month. ;)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Cedarglen :)!!!
    I found a 3ft x 4ft corkboard and am filling it up with ideas, To Do List, and plant/flower pics...eye candy till the real stuff shows up!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

You know you miss it when you dream of going to the store and finding they have plants out! Though I couldn't sleep much last night, I DID end up dreaming I was pawing thru some of those boxed plants they get in early at the store- except they were green and even blooming, lol.

Ps. congrats cedarglen!!! ;-)
    CMK

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

you know it's winter when I've vacuumed the family room . . . and we weren't even expecting company!

In the summer I have a gorgeous garden. In the winter I have a clean house. Can't have both at the same time, not enough hours in the day.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

Gottagarden- exactly! Same here.

...when I start trying to sprout sweet potatos and carrots on the kitchen windowsill.
    Min

• mandolls
    12 years ago

........When you live in WI, and spend a January, Saturday morning, ordering seeds and browsing on garden web. There are at least 3 and a half months before anything could be planted outside!

I am going to clean up my grow light shelves today and start a indoor winter crop of lettuce and arugula. That should help.

• pmermakov
    12 years ago

....when you buy compost in February, spend hours online looking for pretty photos of flowers, order more plants than you know you have space for and even take pictures of your garden in the middle of winter!

• Plaidy
    12 years ago

When someone gives you fresh rosemary to eat and instead you stick it in a pot to see if it will root

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Wow....all of you can come visit Northern CA and we'll put you to work immediately!

- Oxalis pes-caprae is shooting up everywhere

- I was sick most of January and just finished pruning the roses back. They've got new growth all over and I even salvaged three beautiful Double Delight roses to make a bouquet with our purple bearded iris that are out now. Actually, out here roses are evergreen. They might lose most of their leaves, but they keep blooming and growing, albeit more slowly.

- The calla lilies are starting to flower

- Nasturtiums are leafing out everywhere, including in every compost pile where I heaped the dead leaves. I spent two hours yesterday with a shovel turning the small piles into fewer bigger piles.

- I had my gardener come over to discuss which plants I wanted pruned back or taken out, because I need to get a few new plants in before what little winter rain we've gotten, stops completely.

- I'm picking Meyer lemons twice a week and trying to find people to give them away to, because we should only have planted one for our two-person household. Instead we got enthusiastic and planted three, and it's looking like a good harvest year so that's about 200 lbs. of lemons, way too much for us to use up by ourselves!

The only easy months are August and September, when things slow down and all I have to do is water twice a month.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

OMG you all are so funny and I see myself in everyone of you. Hurry up spring. We have had a very warm winter but now its cooooold. Waiting to get back outside.