Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22262128

Royal Red Amaryllis.

User
10 years ago

After just 68 days my Amaryllis,'royal Red',..gave a great reward with two stems,..on one stem there were four blooms and on the other there were six.

Comments (11)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With all 10 blooms.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blooming at present,..Chrysanthemum.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It blooms for me in November and December,..started off as a cutting,..now its approx 9 Ft tall.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so tall,..but attractive,..but spiky leaves.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It certainly looks like Christmas.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Nice seasonal color!

What plants are the last two, which are unfamiliar to me (and so probably not hardy here?)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

The last two are a Mahonia (winter bloomer, delicious scent possibly Mahonia x media 'Charity) and a Cotoneaster (possibly Cotoneaster salicifolius. Both very common over here. The Cotoneaster is listed 6a to 10b and is considered totally hardy in the UK. The Mahonia is listed zones 8 and 9, which amazes me, since it is considered tough as old boots and absolutely hardy here.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi floral uk,..i agree with you with the Cotoneaster,..always a display of green shiny leaf and in summer produces small white flowers,..towards the cooler days the red berries appear,..there are so many species of this that i found it difficult to pinpoint the exact species.

The Mahonia japonica,..it surely is a tough one,..nothing seems to bother it,..however it is getting taller and taller which makes seeing those yellow blooms more difficult to appreciate fully.

Philip

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

glengarry23 the Mahonia can take a hard pruning. I thought that the racemes were too upright for M japonica and Charity is one of the commonest in commerce. But I'm no Mahonia expert.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Does your Mahonia have the lovely honey-scent that some of the native western US ones have? I have memories of a blooming Mahonia in a Utah canyon one spring that have stayed with me for probably 20 years.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Nhbabs,..you remember the scent correctly,..it does have that sweet scent,..it was a cutting i took some 9 years ago and didn't really appreciate it until it was in bloom and i happened to be standing close to it,..now i love it for the scent plus its in flower just now when most of my blooms have gone.

Philip