Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

It was so sunny this weekend...

lavender_lass
12 years ago

It was so sunny this weekend, it made me think of spring! Yes, it's December...and yes, it's still only in the high 30s, but it was sunny and made me want to play (I mean work) in the garden! :)

Still much too early to really do anything, but I did walk around and do some planning. Went up to my mom's and we planned up there, too. It was so nice to get outside, enjoy the sunshine and get some fresh air. No snow right now, but I'm sure it will be back, soon.

So, has anyone else had nice weather (at least for this time of year) and do you want to start planning anything new for the garden? Due to recent events, I also have a new garden area to plan...so guess what I want for Christmas? LOL

Comments (8)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Sure different from last year, today it was very mild and sunny, at this rate we could be in for a green Christmas but I'm not counting on it.
    I actually hope it cools down, when we have a warmish spell through december and then the temps drop into the basement I lose a lot of things.
    Lots of revamping to do in the spring I just hope I have the energy to do it LOL.

Annette

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

LL, surely can't complain about the weather right now, but we're expecting heavy heavy rain Monday afternoon (and boy, do we neet it), blizzard in the Texas panhandle. At my age I don't venture too far out in the yard this time of year, but definitely need to get out there sooner or later to do some pruning back and cleaning up!

We get some unbelievable weather in January and February between the ice storms, that's when I get out and get started.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

...but with the temp barely above 20 and a wind right out of the arctic, I bundled up in layers and made quick forays out in the garden along the walkways to scout out empty spots where I can stuff this year's winter sown plants. The damage from the October storm will mean a lot more sun on my little green acre in coming years so I'll plunk a few more penstemon and squeeze in a few more stokesia once the ground thaws next spring.

The forecast calls for 50 degrees by mid-week which I'll be grateful for since I don't enjoy the frigid, bone-chilling cold. I know it's normal and natural this time of year but that doesn't mean I have to like it or being forced into wearing multliple layers of polar fleece. I did rearrange the seed & suet feeders in what few branches are left on the crabapple tree and stowed one birdbath inside the garage. The clean towels got hung on the cellar clothesline rather than outside--just too cold to stand out there pinning them in the wind.

• User
    12 years ago

It was 70 here in Central AL for a couple days in a row. Have had lots of sun and still have roses blooming ! Also the Sweet Olive started up again.

I got sunburned on my run...the bad thing about all of this is that bugs and weeds aren't killed and also we need a certain amount of cold days for the peach trees..so this has a bad side too.

Last year we had snow on Christmas Day...

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

I love our cold but sunny days. The air is so crisp and the trees are so green. Where in WA are you Lavender? I am north of Vancouver. . South West Wa.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pat tea- I'm in eastern Washington, about five miles from Idaho. It got down to 6 degrees last night, so it gets a little colder here, than it does on the western side of the state!

Trailrunner- Wow! Snow in Alabama...what a nice Christmas surprise. When I was little, we lived in Arkansas for four years and I remember it snowed, one time :)

Gardenweed- Did you get your warmer weather? We're supposed to have highs, just below freezing for the rest of the week...and snow starting on Christmas.

Ogrose- Oooh, ice storms...my grandmother said they used to get those in early spring, when she lived in Illinois. She did not like them and said they were even worse, than the snow. Hopefully you won't have too many, in January and February! Are you getting any roses, for Christmas?

Annette- We're supposed to get snow starting around Christmas Eve...are you supposed to be getting any in your area? Maybe you'll have a White Christmas, after all!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

lavender_lass - it's 53 here at the moment so rather mild considering the date. I've got 5 winter sown milk jugs set out on the breezeway--Japanese red maple (x2), crocosmia 'Lucifer' (x2) and kolkwitzia/beauty bush. Every half hour or so I take a short walk just to be out in the fresh air. No white Christmas here but I'm okay with that. We had a white halloween instead and ten days with no power/water/heat/phone/cable. On the bright side, I've got 2-3 cords of *free* firewood piled up behind the house.

• chickadee_42us
    12 years ago

Currently I have the add for work out clothing from Target on the right side. Looking back over the responses to see how on earth that one populated here!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting