Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Peas followed by Morning Glory

Posted by jbeg0508 7a Northern VA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 22:01

I've grown morning glories a few times now and love, love, love them. Heavenly Blue is... heavenly. For the first time ever, late this fall I sowed a few varieties of sweet peas for spring bloom. I've actually not sowed seeds in the fall before, we'll see what happens in April!

My question here is that I sowed the sweet peas along the same iron fence that the morning glories grew on this past year. I am expecting a few MG volunteers (I hope) next year and I know sweet peas are spring blooming and my MGs didn't bloom until late August this year.

Are these flowers good to grow together? Will the sweet peas be fading around the time the morning glory vines get going?

Thanks for any info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Peas followed by Morning Glory

Others may have experienced differently, but my Heavenly Blue MGs normally don't return even tho I'm sure seed is dropped in the fall before I get the vines cleaned up. Other varieties of MGs do however.

As far as the sweet peas, I haven't attempted to grown them but several times and when they did manage to sprout and grow, the blooms remained well into August. And these were not real healthy looking vines. Except for the unscented sweet peas in the orchard - forgot about those - they are perennial and have come back in the spring for many years now and are re-bloomers.

o

My mom grows them together and loves it! It's one of her favorite combintion of flowers in her garden :)

o

Morning glories continue to bloom all summer where sweet peas stop blooming when the temps warm up. My sweet peas begin to fade around May. Weeding out dead sweet peas with other vines can be difficult.

Photobucket

o

ToDanceWithWolves:

I think you are so much warmer earlier than where I am. I am on the line of 6b/7a and my morning glories are not even sprouting until May!

o

I've never seen a row of sweet peas like that, very pretty Dance. I'm trying to think if I have a sunny area I could try that in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here