Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kujhawk

Leaf Imprints on Pots

kujhawk
19 years ago

Hello! I have seen some information on making leaf imprints on pots. Using real leaves and a mix of Portland cement, a bonding agent, and water, you imprint the leaves on terracotta pots. You can then put a latex paint wash over the raised leaf imprint. It seems like Fine Gardening or Horticulture magazine had an article on leaf imprints, but I can't find it. Does anyone have instructions for making leaf imprints on pots? Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

No information using the cement but I know in order to make the imprint on the pot you would spread a mixture of the cement over the leaf then press it onto the pot.Why couldn't you use plaster of paris or some other medium? I was thinking of maybe silicone,like one uses for filling cracks around the tub and sink.I know you can use a stencil with the pre-prepared spackling compound to make raised designs on things.That might also work.I think you would have to use some kind of releasing agent on the leaf before applying the medium,like petroleum jelly or cooking spray,so the leaf would come off and leave the design intact.Just some thoughts......Lillie

• GardenChicken
    19 years ago

kujhawk,

I have those very instructions sitting in front of me, but I have no idea where they came from. HGTV maybe? The instructions actually refer to them as 'appliqued' leaves.
    If you'd like I can type them out for you when I get 5 minutes...

~GardenChicken

• mooseysmommy
    19 years ago

gardenchicken..could you please share the instructions on appliqued leaves..thanks

• GardenChicken
    19 years ago

Here you go, sorry I couldn't include the pictures that went with them (not very helpful pictures anyway!). I wish I knew who to credit the instructions to.
    I have not tried making these, they are on "the list".

Step A: Mix cement according to instructions on bag. (You can even add cement color--available in beige, red, black and green.)

Step B: Place a garbage bag on a flat work surface. Pour the mixture onto the surface and smooth it out.

Step C: Spray the backsides of your chosen leaves with olive oil or cooking spray, then press them into the cement.

Note: Make MORE of these than you anticipate needing, just in case you happen to crack one while checking it's readiness.

Step D: Before the cement hardens(between 2 and 4 hours after mixing), use a sharp knife to cut around the leaves. Cut away the extra cement, and dispose of it.

Step E: Before the appliqué dries, it must be placed on the rock. This part is very tricky and may take several tries. Lift the edge of the garbage bag and slightly tug it from the bottom of the leaf appliqué. Carefully remove the appliqué and place it on the rock. Lift away the leaf and admire your work!

Let me know how they work out.

~GardenChicken

• inchworminjersey
    17 years ago

Hi, Just read this in a Better Homes and Gardens book from the library, but of course can't remember the exact title...something like Garden Style Crafts??? I want to try it this year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting