Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deener43

glass blocks

deener43
20 years ago

How do I make a hole in the glass blocks that are used for walls. I want to decoupage a pic on it, but dont know where or how to put the hole in it. Thanks

Comments (28)

• mamabirrd
    20 years ago

My husband is a brick and block layer and he says that because it is glass it may be hard for someone inexperienced. You may want to call a local glass shop or look into getting a drill-bit designed for the job. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

• creativemom
    20 years ago

They were going crazy with them over at the HGTV site...also try posting over on Crafts & Decorations on the "other side" at That Home Site....

Here is a link that might be useful: Crafts and Decorations - THS

• shibby1
    19 years ago

HOW TO DRILL GLASS: Get a piece of steel wire and file to shape of drill. This must be tempered as follows: Heat the end of the drill on a flame until it is dull red, then place it in metallic mercury. This drill, tempered in this manner will bore through glass as easily as through soft metal. When using in glass, always use oil of turpentine with a little camphor added to lubricate the drill. As you drill, be careful not to drill clear through from one side as you will break the glass this way. Drill partly, or almost through, then start from the opposite side and finish the hole. Or, if you cannot do this, as when you are drilling bottles, etc.. fill this bottle with water or place the glass in water. CAUTION: When you make the drill, do not make the cutting edges so sharp or too acute. The drill will cut slowly but you will have better holes with less breakage.

....or a diamond cutter

Very good glass block site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Suburban Glass Block

• glassblockoutlet
    18 years ago

For more glass block answers try posting your question on this glass blocks forum. Currently there are discussions about lighting glass blocks and which is the best fixing system for building a glass block design in the garden.

• Linda3
    18 years ago

I have made holes in glass blocks and filled them with white christmas lights then added bows to make them look like a lighted up christmas present. You need to go to your local hardware store, such as Home Depot, and buy a glass drill bit. I think I paid about $12. for one and drilled the holes in the glass blocks. Take it slow and don't try to press too hard or the block might break. I also put some oil, such as kerosene oil on the tip and around in the hole to keep it drilling smooth. I make stained glass and there is nothing to it. Just be patient and it will make a nice hole the size you need.

• Rimma
    18 years ago

The best thing to drill glass block is diamond plated core drill bits. They are available in many sizes from 3/16 all the way to 6'. For smoother drilling it helps to use diamond tool coolant. The best selection I found is at www.technologylk.com

• crazymama
    18 years ago

Go to Harbor Freight they are alot cheaper. I bought the set that drills holes large enough for a clip-in light. It's much easier to replace one bulb than pulling a string of lights out that little hole.

• LindsayMK
    18 years ago

I just drilled 15 glass blocks for the first time to use as gifts. While I drilled, someone else sprayed water on the drill bit to keep it cool. Well, now the insides are dirty and I've tryed to wash out - no luck. Any suggestions???

thanks!!

• karmahappytoes
    18 years ago

Rimma, gave great instructions. Some of the glass block places already have them drilled or you can ask them to do it for a fee. Our out here will do them and they also have some that are vases that work great too.
    LindsayMK depends on the hole, wouldn't a bottle brush work? That is what I used to clean ours out.

• danbell78
    18 years ago

Where do you typically find the glass blocks for these projects?

• swifttrack
    18 years ago

If you are looking to install and even light glass blocks, check out this web site. www.swifttrack.com

• sam27249
    17 years ago

How do you get the glue stuff from the sides of the glass blocks? There has to be a faster way than a paint scrapper and acetone or xylol???

• cobra1
    17 years ago

I used a
    back and Decker 1/2 inch glass and ceramic drill bit. It took me all of 2 minutes to drill a hole in the side of the block. I used compressed air to blow the dust out. A pipe cleaner or a wire with cotton on the end should clean the little dust that was left.

• debrab
    16 years ago

Where do you buy the glass blocks ? And can you get different sizes? Thank you in advance.

• mrglassblock
    16 years ago

Hello, I am the Marketing Director for the Glass Block Supply Company, we sell and ship case quantity 5/8'
    pre-drilled glass block. Many sizes and patterns.

Call 1-800-225-1404 to order. Ask for John.

• jdla
    16 years ago

Check out http://www.accentbuildingproducts.com/cgi-bin/accent/glassblocks/predrilled.html
    They have the predrilled blocks for sale online in a bunch of sizes.

• evan_p
    16 years ago

After breaking 2 out of 3 blocks using the spear shaped drill bit I did a little research. The spear shaped drill does not work!!! I went to Harbor Freight and bought their cylindrical drill bit (package comes with two bits - 7/16th and 3/4th inch). Using a drill press and a little spray bottle to keep the bit lubricated, I drilled 10 block in about 20 minutes using the 7/16th inch bit - large enough to push the Christmas lights through. I rinsed out the inside and got the glass core out and was done with them all in less than 45 minutes and not one broke in the process.

• maggy-007
    16 years ago

How do I get in touch with jdla, he says he can drill and ship glass blocks,,,I tired his posted site, but got nowhere

Maggy

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Bumping to see if anyone has any new info. on finding glass blocks. Can't find them sold retail locally. Any suggestions. Would prefer not to pay shipping.

• kimh1968
    16 years ago

I'm an independent demonstrator for a company called Uppercase Living. We sell beautiful, easy to apply vinyl expressions for glass blocks (or any smooth surface including the walls in your home, but we have a section dedicated to glass blocks) that look hand-painted. Check it out by registering at www.uppercaseliving.com and entering Demonstrator ID# 950002 and Token: Hoeven. It's awesome!!

• ringaroundtherosie
    16 years ago

Hi,

Check out the recent Glass Blocks post on the Crafts and Decorations Forum. I recently posted instructions on how to drill a hole in glass blocks, too. My husband broke several before he figured it out. Also tells how to clean the tacky stuff off the sides of the glass block.

Rosie

• jdla
    16 years ago

Maggy,
    Sorry to hear you didn't get anywhere from my original post. On this page http://www.accentbuildingproducts.com/cgi-bin/accent/glassblocks/predrilled.html you will see a list of all the styles and sizes of glass blocks available predrilled. All the items on that particular page are pre-drilled and they come in cases (the number per case is listed). If you need help with ordering you could always call customer service. 800-237-7470 I hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Pre-drilled Glass Block

• mgrant1108
    16 years ago

Does anyone know what size light strand I need to buy to put inside of a glass block? Thanks

• veronica_detachabledecals_com
    15 years ago

You can now view the Uppercase Living catalog without having to register! Check out my website for our decorative vinyl lettering and graphics- we have hundreds of predesigned products and you can customized lettering as well in over 30 colors and over 50 fonts! http://veronica.uppercaseliving.net

• afforablevinyl
    15 years ago

Check out our website at: DecoLetters. We have affordable wall lettering. We also can do custom designs for your glass blocks and wood signs.Also I would look into seeing if they have acrylic blocks. I have heard they are easier to drill.

• Mk_brittanylm_gmail_com
    13 years ago

You can get the blocks at home depot

• cstokes_comcast_net
    13 years ago

During the Chrismas rush we drilled hundreds of holes for our customers. We used our drill press and diamond tip bits. The key is to use water to cool the bit every so often. Don't apply thr water while the drill is still on to prevent water from getting inside the block.

Here is a link that might be useful: big blocks glass

• havoc58h_aol_com
    12 years ago

I dug up a glass block it measures 5/6/3 inches its scratched up. How do I make it smooth?

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz