Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ISO an idea using tomatoe cages

Posted by dcdc 6AONT (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 6, 04 at 15:13

for our Christmas Charity Bazaar. Would love to hear from you and Happy New Year to you all!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ISO an idea using tomatoe cages

I've adorned them with wire and beads and when a container is placed on top you can either have a birdbath or feeder. When flipped over you can curl the ends which are normally poked into the ground with a pair of pliers and add little bells. It is an interesting piece of garden art that "jingles" in the wind, rain, or when the birdies land on it.

o

• Posted by dcdc 6AONT (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 7, 04 at 10:32

Hi mamabirrd - This sounds really neat. Would love to see a picture of one of your creations. They sound very whimsical and very different and this is what our group tries to come up with. Thanks so much.

o

Sure! I wish I had a picture to send, and a scanner to send it with! Sorry, you will have to use your imagination but I can assure you that it's quite simple. Just go to the craft store and look for embelleshments. I like all kinds of beads, be it glass or wooden, but there are so many different things you could attach. And as far as the wire goes, a local home improvement store should sell all kinds. I've even used a thin, copper wire that looked nice. And don't forget about paint. You could paint the cage any color using Krylon paint suitable for metal. I need to work on getting a scanner hooked up, as I have so many pics I'd like to post. Maybe if I wasn't so busy growing plants and doing craft projects I'd get it done, lol! Well, give it a go and let me know how it turns out. Have fun!

o
I forgot!

Sorry, forgot to mention that you can use terra cotta pot saucers (which also can be painted) for the birdbath or feeder, depending on the size of the cage. Happy new year.

o

• Posted by annsb Ont. z6a (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 7, 04 at 17:20

On the msn forum there is a pic of a birdbath made with a tomato cage and a light fixture that is stunning. Hopefully you don't have to be a member to view it.
ann
http://groups.msn.com/GardenJunk/birdbaths.msnw?Page=5

o

Thu, Jan 8, 04 at 9:13

Had a look at the site - Super!! Many thanks

o

I recently took out all my shrubs in the front yard and had nothing to hang Christmas lights on this year. I took tomato cages, put them upside down with the wide base at the bottom, and wrapped with garland (took 24 feet) and mini lights. Bought some tent stakes and staked in my front flower bed. They looked great!

o

A few years ago, everyone around here was making angels with the tomato cages. The krinkly craft paper that you unroll was used for the skirt, wings and arms...a paper covered ball was used for the head and the hair was moss...the tomato cage was the skirt

o

I've wrapped wild grapevine vines around & around tomato cages, wiring as I go, if necessary, to keep the vine wrapped tightly. Then, when done, I scroll-saw a very primitive wooden star, drill a hole in the star & hot-glue it to the top of my grapevine 'tree'...and then wrap the tree with very showy clear mini lights for night time magic. I've used miniature tomato cages to make table-top sized trees, as well. The mini ones sold like hotcakes!

o

Wed, Mar 24, 04 at 21:34

Thanks for all your great ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here