Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftybrat

glass light crystals They where free they where dirty and now wha

Craftybrat
21 years ago

At our local trash place there is a free junk spot, last week I found an old hanging light fixture. It was trashed and covered in dusty muddy yuk. But it had all the glass cyrstal hanging things and 99 out of 100 chain crystals. I took it home, stripped the thing down and scrubbed the cystals. OK soaked them clean. Now I'm trying to think of what I can do with them. I want something for the garden... I know I will get good ideas from the folks here and in junk forum ......Thank you in advance....

Comments (7)

• rosie_ga
    21 years ago

What a find.....they sell for about $3.50 apiece. My Mom tied enough for a huge Christmas tree....using fishing line. Then tied them on the branches. Really a pretty site. My Sister found one recently in the trash outside someone's home and she has it hanging in the garden so it catches the morning light.

• faergen
    21 years ago

I hang them from lampshades, from my Battenburg lace curtains, the Christmas tree, flower swags, vases, etc. Even indoor potted plants get a crystal or two. You can make great outdoor, tin can luminaries and hang crystals from them. These look great hanging from tree limbs, arbors, lantern hooks, etc. They catch sunlight during the day and sparkle in the candlelight at night. You could even hang the entire fixture over an outside table on a porch, gazebo, etc. I'm also in the process of making long strings of lavender beads to hang on the material swagged around a garden tub. I'll end each string with a crystal.The only thing I haven't hung them on is myself--but I've been tempted! :)

• cherun
    21 years ago

faergen, lavender is my"of all times" favorite plant. I love the scent.Please, what are lavender beads?
    sharon

• handmayyd
    21 years ago

yes, please - how do you make 'lavender beads'? I made some using salt dough with rose petals that were still fresh. Is this the same thing?
    CANDLE HOLDERS: Wire wrap jars and string crystals on them - put votive candles in and either set on table or make hanging holders by extending the wire up and then hang crystals from the bottom too
    I also used an old wire bread basket, put crystals on it and hung it outside for a sun catcher. Think I might try another one to use as a light fixture hmmmmm

• faergen
    21 years ago

Yes, you can use the salt dough recipe or the old rose petal recipe (takes a looong time). I just chopped flowers and stems (very finely) and heated, soaked, heated, soaked--never boil. They are not staying together as well as rose petals tho. I'm using a lot of clear and lavender-colored beads in between. It would take forever for just the real beads. It's an experiment tho--I'll have to let you know how it works out. I used a bit of white glue for some of them. Next I'll try melted beeswax. Wish me luck!

• julie03
    20 years ago

what a great find ---i have saw them tied with fishing string and dangled from a picture window -- i would even use them as pulls for ceiling fans

• GoProgest
    20 years ago

I have a crystal chandelier hanging in my bedroom for ambience and romance. It is so much quicker than lighting multiple candles. It has a dimmer switch but you could use low watt bulbs instead. The light hangs off to the side of the room so as not to appear out of place at other times.
    Have Fun!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years